spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fdef

@verizon.net

[DSL] Speed cut in half when connecting via Airport

My download speed gets cut in half from 6Mbps to 3Mbps when there's an Apple Airport between the modem and the computer. Is that normal? Is there a way to set it up to get the same speed?

I also get 3Mbps when connected wireless.

Thanks

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17

Hi fdef -

I don't have a great deal of personal experience with the Airport routers. The things I would look for are QOS settings that may be limiting your speed. Also does it occur when the computer is close to the router?

Hopefully a member in the forum that has experience with the Airport may have some recommendations as well. I believe there may be a forum on BBR specifically for Airports that the mod can move the thread to as well.

Thanks
--
George
General Manager
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to fdef

We do have an ATM (All things Macintosh) forum. Would you like me to move you over to there for some help?

FdeF

@verizon.net
reply to dslx_gm

Hi George.
Can you tell me a little bit more about QOS settings and where to look for them?

Thanks

fdef

@verizon.net
reply to sashwa

Sure thing, move it. Thanks

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
reply to fdef

which version of the airport do you have? The 6inch square one? The smaller 3inch square one, or one that looks like a flying saucer?
--
-Ryan
Currently using Ubuntu 10.04, Windows 7 and OS X 10.6. To each his own.

fdef

@verizon.net

Hi Ryan, I have the 6inch square one, model A1143

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to fdef

Are you using your Airport as a repeater?

fdef

@verizon.net

I'm sorry robbyn but I don't know what that means.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

From the model number you posted you have an Airport Extreme. Is your Airport connected by an Ethernet wire to your modem and you are using it as your router or are you using your modem as a router and your Airport connects wirelessly to it?

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to fdef

What ISP are you on? What is the make and model of your DSL modem?

fdef

@verizon.net
reply to fdef

iSP is dsl extreme.
From the phone box to the modem, from the modem to the Airport Extreme and from the Airport Extreme to an iMac.
I need the Airport to connect wirelessly from iPhone and laptop.

This way all the connections have the same download speed of around 3Mbps. If I take out the Airport Extreme the connections goes to 6Mbps.

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA

You still haven't told us the make and model of the DSL modem.

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV

1 edit
reply to fdef

The fastest speed using Airport is directly connecting to Airport with an ethernet cable. And yes, of course, doing it that way it's not "AIRport" anymore.. But Airport is still available as a slower connection for any other computers within range..
--
Early 2009 Mac Pro 10.6.4 Charter 10 meg Windows 7 & Mac OSX working simultaneously with VMware Fusion 3.0.1

fdef

@verizon.net
reply to daveinpoway

The modem is the one that dsl extreme provided COMTREND CT-5072T
Thanks!

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV
reply to fdef

Even with the latest 802.11n specification, which is the new AirPort Extreme using a technology called multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) to transmit multiple data streams simultaneously my Airport is slower using wireless vs ethernet directly to Airport and then to modem.
--
Early 2009 Mac Pro 10.6.4 Charter 10 meg Windows 7 & Mac OSX working simultaneously with VMware Fusion 3.0.1

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

1 edit
reply to fdef

macsierra8 See Profile -- Wireless has more overhead in the protocol and there is no gbps wifi protocol yet, true, but I would imagine most wifi base stations should be able to move more than 3mbps.

fdef - how are you speed testing? A speed test website, the rate a file downloads, something else?

Also, do you have your wireless network secured? Is it possible someone nearby is leeching off of your network and using some of your bandwidth?
--
-Ryan

Fdef

@mymmode.com
reply to fdef

The network is secured.
I'm testing the speed from a couple of websites, they are consistent. Don't know how to test it any other way.
Thanks!

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA

I assume that you are using PPPoE. Is the PPPoE client on the modem or is the modem being used in bridge mode? If you enter your account's user name and password into the modem's configuration, then the modem's built-in PPPoE client is being used.

If I understand your setup correctly, the modem connects to the Airport Extreme Base Station via an Ethernet cable, then the AEBS connects via wireless to the iMac. Is this correct?

I have the A1143, and it is capable of sending data to my MacBook Pro at a much faster rate than 3 Mbps. Are you using 802.11 b, g, b/g or n? Selecting the mixed b/g mode will decrease the speeds. I am using the n mode at 5 GHz.

A simple test to try: Connect the modem to the AEBS, then use an Ethernet cable from one of the AEBS's LAN ports (the ones with the left-and-right arrows) to the iMac's Ethernet jack. Do you get 3 Mbps or 6 Mbps this way? If the former, then the speed is being lost between the modem and the router. If the latter, then the wireless link is responsible for the slowdown.

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

said by daveinpoway:

I assume that you are using PPPoE. Is the PPPoE client on the modem or is the modem being used in bridge mode? If you enter your account's user name and password into the modem's configuration, then the modem's built-in PPPoE client is being used.

If I understand your setup correctly, the modem connects to the Airport Extreme Base Station via an Ethernet cable, then the AEBS connects via wireless to the iMac. Is this correct?

I have the A1143, and it is capable of sending data to my MacBook Pro at a much faster rate than 3 Mbps. Are you using 802.11 b, g, b/g or n? Selecting the mixed b/g mode will decrease the speeds. I am using the n mode at 5 GHz.

A simple test to try: Connect the modem to the AEBS, then use an Ethernet cable from one of the AEBS's LAN ports (the ones with the left-and-right arrows) to the iMac's Ethernet jack. Do you get 3 Mbps or 6 Mbps this way? If the former, then the speed is being lost between the modem and the router. If the latter, then the wireless link is responsible for the slowdown.
OP will have to clarify, but when I had service through DSLExtreme, it was not PPPoE, just straight ethernet. My understanding is that when the AEBS is connected, even the wired iMac gets 3mbps, but when the iMac is directly wired to the modem, he/she gets the full 6mbps, indicating a problem with the AEBS.

fdef- how old is your airport? Is it less than a year old? I am wondering if it is potentially defective, and perhaps a trip to the genius bar at an apple store would help.
--
-Ryan

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA

It is necessary to determine whether the wireless link to the iMac has any part in the slowdown. The answers to my questions should help to clarify this.

Daemon
Premium
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

said by daveinpoway:

It is necessary to determine whether the wireless link to the iMac has any part in the slowdown. The answers to my questions should help to clarify this.
Based on this post, I believe the iMac is wired not wireless: »Re: [DSL] Speed cut in half when connecting via Airport
--
-Ryan

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA

You may be right.