spc
uniqs

OldCableGuy1
@communications.net

OldCableGuy1 to Oblivious1

Anon

to Oblivious1

Re: [RANT] Mediacom Now Req's 2-Yr Contract

Um, yeah. Contracts on a franchised utility? Now I've heard it all!

Seriously though, don't make me laugh. Go ahead and "sign" their contract, 99% of the franchise boards would never let that fly. I know for a fact that contracts are unenforceable in Cedar Rapids. I'd almost enjoy the opportunity to sign up just to break their "contact" and then issue a press release explaining how to do it for others.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy1 :

Um, yeah. Contracts on a franchised utility? Now I've heard it all!

Seriously though, don't make me laugh. Go ahead and "sign" their contract, 99% of the franchise boards would never let that fly. I know for a fact that contracts are unenforceable in Cedar Rapids. I'd almost enjoy the opportunity to sign up just to break their "contact" and then issue a press release explaining how to do it for others.
I assumed something must have changed. AFAIK no contracts were allowed but here we are...

Anynonmouse
@mchsi.com

Anynonmouse to OldCableGuy1

Anon

to OldCableGuy1
My son needs out of his 1 year contract after 9 months. How do you get out of it?
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

said by Anynonmouse :

My son needs out of his 1 year contract after 9 months. How do you get out of it?
One way is to just do it, contacting Mediacom and paying whatever cancellation fee is needed. But I doubt that is what OldCableGuy1 has in mind, nor what you and and your son are seeking.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

So, In a Year if I want the $24.95 Digital Cable and $24.95 12Mb Internet ONLY I have to sign a contract?
I'm not talking about the Digital Star Package/Online for $79.90

I'm talking about the V.I.P plan with out the phone service or the upgraded Internet
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

1 edit

k9iua6

said by IowaMan:

So, In a Year if I want the $24.95 Digital Cable and $24.95 12Mb Internet ONLY I have to sign a contract?
I'm not talking about the Digital Star Package/Online for $79.90

I'm talking about the V.I.P plan with out the phone service or the upgraded Internet
I don't know about the specific prices you seek, or combination of services, but all the OP is indicating is that if you want a service from Mediacom at anything by paying other than full price, then it appears from now on out that you are likely going to need to sign into either a one-year or two-year contract to get that starting price. That is assuming, in the meantime, that the other poster is correct and consumer contracts on franchised utility agreements in Iowa aren't deemed illegal.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

1 edit

IowaMan

Premium Member

I'm trying to find an answer for everyone regarding the legalities of this in Iowa.

EDIT
I'll ask my friend who is a lawyer.