FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Camelot One

Re: Great

said by Camelot One:

FCC will protect said consumers from said corporations.
I never saw where it was the job of the FCC to PROTECT consumers. I saw where it was to regulate telecommunications and to encourage competition, but nothing about protecting consumers.

»fcc.gov/aboutus.html
The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.

educates and informs consumers about telecommunications goods and services

enforces the Communications Act

regulates AM, FM radio and television broadcast stations, as well as cable television and satellite services

oversees cellular and PCS phones, pagers and two-way radios

addresses public safety, homeland security, national security, emergency management and preparedness, disaster management

allocates spectrum for non-Government use and provides expert advice on technical issues
Telecomm Act
»www.fcc.gov/telecom.html
The goal of this new law is to let anyone enter any communications business -- to let any communications business compete in any market against any other.
»www.fcc.gov/Reports/tcom1996.txt
To promote competition and reduce regulation in order to secure
lower prices and higher quality services for American
telecommunications consumers and encourage the rapid deployment of
new telecommunications technologies.

--
Are you happy with your rep in Washington, DC?

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

said by FFH:

I never saw where it was the job of the FCC to PROTECT consumers.
The FCC seems to believe it is one of their primary goals. Many of your examples of their roles and responsibilities are related to the fundamental description of "consumer protection", either directly or indirectly.

»reboot.fcc.gov/consumers/taskforce
"The goal of protecting and empowering consumers is among the Commission's most important responsibilities," said Chairman Genachowski at the time.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

Yes, someone might want to tell the recently created consumer protection division within the FCC (run by the former editor of Consumer Reports) they don't actually (and/or shouldn't) exist. I'm sure they'll enjoy that.

DavePR

join:2008-06-04
Canyon Country, CA
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by Camelot One:

FCC will protect said consumers from said corporations.
I never saw where it was the job of the FCC to PROTECT consumers. I saw where it was to regulate telecommunications and to encourage competition, but nothing about protecting consumers.

»fcc.gov/aboutus.html

Some things are a given. All federal agencies should protect us consumers from greedy destructive business practices.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by DavePR:

Some things are a given. All federal agencies should protect us consumers from greedy destructive business practices.
You are operating under a common mis-perception of the Federal Gov't - that they are here to protect us. Run by current day politicians, the Federal Gov't is here to exploit the citizens of the US.

And another thing that bugs me is the idea that we need to be protected as if we are all children. That is another huge failing of society today - a society turning in to a bunch of children needing protection.
--
Are you happy with your rep in Washington, DC?

DavePR

join:2008-06-04
Canyon Country, CA

"Protect us" in the same sense as the military protects us against foreign aggressors. We need all the help we can get. You and I are the government. We need to be more responsible. We do not need to surrender to the oligarchs.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

It seems to me like the oligrachs are the government now.