JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-09
Williamsport, MD
kudos:3
reply to qworster

Re: I pay BIG BUCKS for my Internet!

How is an ISP's decision to discontinue provision of services such as UUCP and Usenet related to Net Neutrality? Are they blocking access to, or throttling traffic to/from, actual UUCP and Usenet providers?
--
My Development Sandbox | LinkedIn Profile

chimera

join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC
UUCP and Usenet aren't, but blocking port 25 is a violation of net neutrality principles. Albeit a widely accepted one now since at this point you should have an option to use a more secure port to send emails such as 443 or 587 (outlook's SMTP over SSL). That isn't to say that port 25 can't be secured to use TLS and other solid security measures, but it normally isn't.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
what is this Net Neutrality principles you speak of? I've never seen anywhere that says an ISP can not block Port 25. In fact most block incoming on port 80 as well.

Maybe the Company should change their outgoing mail server to something else?
--
www.twopugsbrand.com Kosher, Vegan, and Organic Certified Dog and Cat treats/foods and other products! www.etsy.com/shop/snakx4u/ Organic, Kosher, Gluten Free, Vegan Human Baked Goods

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-09
Williamsport, MD
kudos:3
reply to chimera
said by chimera:

UUCP and Usenet aren't, but blocking port 25 is a violation of net neutrality principles.
Which might be why I didn't include port 25 blocking or discussion thereof in my comment...
--
My Development Sandbox | LinkedIn Profile