This is a sub-selection from Government does it
cajun4x4
join:2000-10-02
Rayne, LA

1 edit

cajun4x4 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: Government does it

Karl, I meant take your money somewhere else. Not move! You are so stuck in your liberal writings that you can't even read correctly when someone pitches you a conservative viewpoint. Bottom line is that I completely think that any form of communication is not a right and such should not be treated as such. The only government intervention that should be allowed period is to establish a framework that allows competition.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

said by cajun4x4:

The only government intervention that should be allowed period is to establish a framework that allows competition.
For the most part, I tend to agree. Many of these major corps have enough money and power through lobbyists to get their way regardless of who is in charge.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to cajun4x4

to cajun4x4
said by cajun4x4:

Karl, I meant take your money somewhere else. Not move! You are so stuck in your liberal writings that you can't even read correctly when someone pitches you a conservative viewpoint. Bottom line is that I completely think that any form of communication is not a right and such should not be treated as such. The only government intervention that should be allowed period is to establish a framework that allows competition.
And you think zoning laws prohibiting your neighbor from setting up a biker bar are your right?

The problem with conservative viewpoints are that they're narrow-minded, focused on one aspect of an issue without considering everything else. It's like looking at a green apple and assuming all apples are green.

From my experience "liberals" are much more open-minded, willing to consider various viewpoints and rationally argue their own.

I could write an essay worth of arguments as to why allowing private corporations to handle public infrastructure is incredibly inefficient, a drain on our economy, and causes long-term harm to our country. But these arguments have been written countless times. There's no real defense for this oligopoly of control, for the handling of public infrastructure under private auspices.

What argument do you present besides "I don't think government should...(etc.)"?

DavePR
join:2008-06-04
Canyon Country, CA

DavePR to cajun4x4

to cajun4x4
said by cajun4x4:

... I completely think that any form of communication is not a right and such should not be treated as such...
We have an unalienable right to petition government, to peaceably assemble, and to publish caustic pamphlets. These were the 18th century equivalents of today's mass media.

Congress wanted a vigorous public square to better serve the people's ability to self govern. That means low barriers to entry and equal access to end users.

Democracy died when we turned the mass media over to multinationals. We no longer can easily gather information and form an intelligent opinion. We have deregulated ourselves into the dustbin of history.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

From my experience "liberals" are much more open-minded, willing to consider various viewpoints and rationally argue their own.
I'm not sure if I would say that. Independents are far more open minded and willing to find things on both sides of the isle they can agree with. They seem to be more willing to consider viewpoints on their merits without trashing it out of hand because of a conservative or liberal source. The further away from center on either side, the more closed minded the person seems to be.

Active conversation in either the Blue Room or Red Room on this site will bear that out.
« Really?Great »
This is a sub-selection from Government does it