spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

The_ANoN

@charter.com

Vonage service tp all phone jacks in house

Hi. Im trying to set up a Vonage adapter for my mother, but I cannot seem to get the service to work throughout the house. I had Vonage back where I used to live and did this without any problem. I plug the Vonage adapter into a phone jack, but when I plug a phone into another jack in the house, I get nothing. When I plug a plug a phone directly to the Vonage adapter, I get a dial tone. What can I do? My house is about 4 years old.

The_ANoN

@charter.com
Sorry... that is supposed to be "TO all phone jacks..."

The_ANoN

@charter.com
Sorry for the triple post, but I also forgot to mention that I cannot find my NID (so I can disconnect from the phone co) and there has never been landline service at this house (is that why?). When I plug the phones in to the jack, it sounds like the line is not completely dead on the phone. I can hear a slight "humming" noise and when I press numbers on the phone I can hear their tones.

snolsen

join:2004-01-10
Bedford, NH
reply to The_ANoN
There has to be a NID, Keep looking. What did she have before you tried to hookup Vonage? Nothing?

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
reply to The_ANoN
Things to check:
Is the house wired with 2 jacks. One for phone,the small jack and one for data the larger jack.
If so, all the cables will go to a central location in the basement. Look for the bunch of cables and follow them.
Each jack may be a straight run to a central location and not bridged one jack to another ( the old way).
It's a pain to do, but the only way.

The_ANoN

@charter.com
snolsen, no she never had any landline service.. she just used her cell phone.

Ken1943, yeah there is a data port in one of the rooms on the main floor and the rest are regular phone jacks. I saw some pipes and stuff in the basement (didn't look like cables) that just go straight up into the ceiling. Ill go look at them again though.

The only boxes that I saw on the outside of the house were a box for my cable (Charter) and one that I don't know what it is, but its connected to my 2 AC units. I'll go take a look again since I was looking at night and couldn't really see.

The_ANoN

@charter.com
Click for full size
Basement
Click for full size
Outside, same area of basement
Sorry for the crap quality, but all I have is the built in camera on my netbook.. That grey box in the 2nd pic is for Charter cable

snolsen

join:2004-01-10
Bedford, NH
reply to The_ANoN
Now days, the installers use the same cabling for data and voice. Pull the face plate off of the phone and and look at the cabling. If you know what you are looking for, it may help you out.

The_ANoN

@charter.com
Alright, I just gave up and called a technician to figure it out.. Thanks guys for the help!

The_ANoN

@charter.com
Ok, so apparently, I do NOT have an NID. All my jacks wires ran down to one area of the house. If you look in the 2nd pic, the wires hanging from the gray box are to the phone jacks. The tech said it was unheard of and just connected 2 of the 6 jacks in the house.

dgaraffa

join:2000-10-23
Ringwood, NJ

3 edits
said by The_ANoN :

Ok, so apparently, I do NOT have an NID. All my jacks wires ran down to one area of the house. If you look in the 2nd pic, the wires hanging from the gray box are to the phone jacks. The tech said it was unheard of and just connected 2 of the 6 jacks in the house.
Looks like someone did all the telco jacks in a 'home run' manner. Where the way it was usually done the telephone wire was just strung from place to place to place in one long single run of cable. Where the home run method has individual wires going from the wall plate to the outside of the house so more wire (overall) is used and if done by a worker will take more time (labor).

The benefits/negatives are as follows:

Home Runs: cutting the cable in any one room doesn't kill phone service to any of the other jacks...also, the cable run from the jack to the outside is almost always shorter. The downside is ever jack needs to have it's wire run all the way outside.

Daisy-chain runs: Uses less cable and requires less work since no matter how many jacks you only have the single wire running to the outside but the down side is if you cut the wire in the 2nd room with phone service any/all rooms (that have phone jacks) after that room will loose their service. Just like stepping on a garden hose... the water stops where the foot is.

I'd never consider 'home run' as UNHEARD OF ... tho it's a more modern style and uses more cable (and more labor) but it certainly has its benefits. Its the way most modern homes are wired with ethernet and coax and as such ... to do phone the same way isn't that big of a deal.