uniqs

ToxicDrew
Premium Member
join:2001-09-24

1 edit

ToxicDrew

Premium Member

Re: iMac Processor Upgrade?

Okay so I got a new iMac with the i5 processor would it be possible to buy a retail i7 chip »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 19115213 like the one in the link and replace it myself?

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5

Premium Member

Doesn't Apple void the warranties of people who do more then just add more memory?

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

1 edit

Z80A to ToxicDrew

Premium Member

to ToxicDrew
They aren't socketed AFAIK.

Mikey
Premium Member
join:2001-03-12
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mikey to ToxicDrew

Premium Member

to ToxicDrew
Click for full size
Main board

Processor socket/heatsink
While the 27" iMac has a fairly common socket-style processor on the rear of the main logic board, the warranty is void if the seal is breached. The only user-upgrade on this beast is RAM. Also, it's fairly unlikely that the board's EFI can anticipate a newer processor install that's not on the menu du jour.

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

Z80A

Premium Member

Huh...socket 1156?

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

Logan 5 to Mikey

Premium Member

to Mikey
I'd love to see a 3rd pic with a closeup of the processor with the heatpipe heatsink removed...

The EFI BIOS on a Mac IS different then a PC BIOS. While they both do the same basic task of "overseeing" a computers hardware, the architectural & programming differences are great enough between the two platforms to make generic cross platform upgrades something that are not for the faint of heart due to the almost 100% chance of failure...

Just think of it like the differences between open source & closed source in terms of the hardware and it will all make sense in a weird, twisted sort of way..

ed. clarity of thought

ToxicDrew
Premium Member

ToxicDrew to Mikey

Premium Member

to Mikey
It looks like i'll just suck up the $199 restock fee and wait until this weekend when Ma will have a tax free holiday and buy the i7 version. Do Apple stores carry the i7 in store? or would I have to order it online?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

id imagine apple stores can order anything they dont have in the building. its too bad you are so far from Delaware though, could buy it tax free year round there!.

ToxicDrew
Premium Member

ToxicDrew

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

id imagine apple stores can order anything they dont have in the building. its too bad you are so far from Delaware though, could buy it tax free year round there!.
I called them and they just said to pay the difference and that they did have the i7s in stock. I'll have to wait until Saturday.