Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Re: Android is multi-vendor and multi-carrier tool

I too fail to see why Karl continues to push Android as the root of all evil. While it's well known that Karl's love for AllThingsApple clouds his judgement with regards to Apple's primary mobile competitor, it's a stretch to assume Android's the evil impetus suddenly driving this network neutrality sham that Verizon and Google are pushing.
In other words: Karl, when trying to trash Android, use a more believable argument. Kthx.

As for the Verizon/Google proposal - I believe that if it somehow was only good for Verizon and/or Google, we'll very soon hear from Time Warner, Comcast, ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile, coming out for and against the proposal for any number of reasons. ATT has no desire to see Google *OR* Verizon succeed, so i am waiting with bated breath to see what their response to this is. And wireline broadband no doubt sees wireless as competition and would likely also fight to ensure that no specific method of internet access gets preferential treatment.

I believe that it's not nearly as consumer friendly as they say, but I hope to see a *reasonable* response from the FCC or consumer groups which takes economic needs into account.

Unfortunately so far i've only seen full-on-liberal approaches (ie the internet should be controlled by the government to somehow maintain its status as a neutral communications medium) or full on pro-business (ie Verizon, Comcast, and Google should be able to provide a second, private internet for high-wealth customers, and a low-end internet for the rest of us).
I'd love to see an approach which works for both...
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 edit

1 recommendation

I too fail to see what connection Karl found to Android. While it's well known that Karl's love for AllThingsApple clouds his judgement
Sigh. I criticize Apple constantly. Your comment is silly.
ATT has no desire to see Google *OR* Verizon succeed, so i am waiting with bated breath to see what their response to this is.
As noted, AT&T doesn't want neutrality rules on wireless for the same reasons. Their only public response so far:
"We remain committed to achieving a consensus solution to the Net neutrality issue, either with the FCC or with the Congress. In that sense, the Verizon-Google agreement demonstrates that it is possible to bridge differences on this issue."

algollyer

join:2010-01-08
Forest Hills, NY

I agree with Karl, and so did the Cnet editor on G4TechTV.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

said by algollyer:

I agree with Karl, and so did the Cnet editor on G4TechTV.
Lemme guess, so do Engadget and Gizmodo.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED!