how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

John_1

@bresnan.net

Bresnan.net block yahoo emails

Blocking message issue????

69.145.248.1 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Mail rejected by policy: v=1.1 cv=PsCvS/CuvZ2RcuZn//FcXC4rzcChSO7PKGvW8ZIYYKE= c=1 sm=0 p=vbGQLfp56GXn3pc+kPMZ6Q==:17 a=CjxXgO3LAAAA:8 a=kUpOamPQAAAA:8 a=Jjeg2AeRNqYlDv061MoA:9 a=oZLJNJ9bkIS08ZWS0BcA:7 a=PlPcEIL9K5GoSzi003KT5sj69b8A:4 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=LmIqV7PvFKkA:10 a=Tdh8UjTuxj4A:10 a=kkC5nY31WGkA:10 a=ahg83BDy_SQA:10 a=lL2WpqygrfoA:10 a=Y31mTxiqhrwA:10 a=dqqatGmULCIA:10 a=vx-_A7wRFMIA:10 a=rC2wZJ5BpNYA:10 a=mNLRIw4ziRBbiEVK:21 a=Wri2lM1FmtloKrxw:21 a=T3Z68fpq9pmgmPdzvfYA:9 a=wlzFAkVf3aKR4347j1kA:7 a=iOmrTjC0_taoLD4mHbE29ee7oyYA:4 a=v3iufqQje5ayYJi/2zMhFg==:117

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

Doesn't tell me much.. Need more info.

Also, what is your location?

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

2 edits
reply to John_1

Assuming of course that you have the paid Yahoo! Plus email that enables you to use POP and SMTP error 550 means you need to enable server authentication in your mail client.

This is right from Yahoo!'s support:

said by Yahoo! :

Incoming mail server settings

POP server: plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com
Use SSL
Port: 995

Outgoing mail server (SMTP) settings

SMTP server: plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Use SSL
Port: 465
Use authentication
Account Name/Login Name: Your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com", for example, “testing80”)
Email Address: Your Yahoo! Mail address (for example, testing80@yahoo.com)
Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password

Troubleshooting tips

If you still can’t send Yahoo! Mail from your mail program, you may be accessing the Internet through an ISP that is blocking the SMTP port. If this is the case, try setting the SMTP port number to 587 when sending email via Yahoo!'s SMTP server.
Edit: Bresnan does block the default SMTP port 25, haven't ever used 465 so can't comment but I do use 587 quite frequently (not Yahoo!, though) and it works just fine.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

2 edits
reply to John_1

I thought that IP looked to be in a familiar range so I did an ARIN lookup and sure enough that is one of Bresnan's. The MX record for bresnan.net comes up with 69.145.248.1 which is also what sent you that message. I am thinking that you may have mail.bresnan.net as one of your servers and it rejected your request because they don't (and rightly so) have it configured to act as a relay server when you tried to send from a yahoo.com address...However, the A record for mail.bresnan.net comes up with 69.145.248.18 which should be what your mail client uses when it resolves mail.bresnan.net.

Until we know exactly what you are using as your incoming and outgoing servers this is all just speculation. For all we know Bresnan may be tunneling certain ports through their own servers for whatever reason before going out to the internet and that is why one of their servers gave you that message.

Edit: commcenter.bresnan.net has an A record of 69.145.248.1 FWIW. Only thing I could find other than that is commcenter.bresnan.net/69.145.248.1 is their mail exchanger as well.

John_1

@bresnan.net

Thank you for all of your good suggestions. I am using Yahoo's web based email. I do not have my Outlook setup with my yahoo.account.

I ran tracer on 69.145.248.1 and found out it was a Bresnan's server.

Please provide me with more suggestions or hints to help me solve this issue.

Thanks

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

1 edit

Hm...Interesting. So are you sending from Yahoo!'s webmail to a Bresnan (@bresnan.net) customer? That would explain Bresnan's mail exchanger returning that message. Leaves me a little lost on where to go from here, though. Will do some more digging.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY
reply to John_1

Any luck with this? I haven't had much time to look into this much further, but if you are still having problems I can do some testing tonight.

rod_pod

join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT

1 edit
reply to John_1

this message "Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Mail rejected by policy:" usualy means you are trying to route email from one domain to another (Yahoo.com) to (bresnes.net). the default is to deny routed email on all reputaple domains that offer email to their subscribers. This is to reduce the amount of spam going over their network. example: sending email from yahoo.com through bresnen.net = routed email.
--
rod_pod

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

Usually in doing a relay like that though the MX server wouldn't pick it up but the SMTP server would. The server that sent that reply was from the MX server...need to do some further testing to find out for sure. If he is using Yahoo's webmail there is no way he could be trying to relay out through Bresnan's servers as you can't specify the POP/IMAP and SMTP servers in the web interface.