lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

New laptop doesn't see the 5 ghz wireless network

I have an acer laptop, model 5740 with an atheros wireless network adapter and the computer doesn't see the 5ghz network . My wife's acer laptop sees both from the router, a Netgear WNDR3700. Mine only sees the 2.4 ghz one. What's with that? My acer laptop is a lot newer.

ImpetusEra
Premium
join:2004-05-19
Must be the atheros chip in the laptop doesn't support 802.11a (5GHz). Newer or older deson't really matter. There is A/B/G/N bands and not everything has support for all of them.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by ImpetusEra:

Must be the atheros chip in the laptop doesn't support 802.11a (5GHz). Newer or older deson't really matter. There is A/B/G/N bands and not everything has support for all of them.
Thanks, that must be the problem then. Mine is atheros and hers is an intel adapter.

ImpetusEra
Premium
join:2004-05-19
Not so much an Atheros vs Intel thing, the Netgear probably has an Atheros chip in it at that. They both make 5GHz capable radios, it's just that the particular model in your Acer doesn't support it. It's probably likely that it supports 802.11n where the one your wife uses doesn't.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit
They both claim to support 802.11N and do!

TX CS Aggie
TX CS Aggie

join:2009-07-22
College Station, TX
kudos:1
reply to jaynick
they do both support 802.11N... 2.4Ghz N

There are two flavors of N, 5 and 2.4Ghz. N is a standard that is applied to a frequency. the fact the fact that somthing is a N wireless device dose not automatically make it 2.4 or 5Ghz it could be one, the other or both.

If you want to make sure your wireless card can do both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz N it should be described as supporting:
a/b/g/n wireless
a/b/g/n Draft wireless
a/b/g/n Draft 2.0 wireless

Other things you might see are:
802.11n Wireless (this MIGHT support 5Ghz but most likely not)

these defiantly will not have 5ghz support only 2.4Ghz:
b/g/n wireless
b/g/n Draft wireless
b/g/n Draft 2.0 wireless

----

Also the Netgear WNDR3700 has dual Atheros radio chips unlike for example the Linksys E3000 that has a all-in-one 2.4 and 5Ghz Broadcom solution.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

2 edits
The router says for the 5ghz network is a/n. The adapter should see it, I would think because it claims to support b/g/n. The 5ghz one broadcasts as n.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to jaynick
The Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 is Intel’s power-optimized, single band 802.11b/g/n, true 1×2 MIMO Wi-Fi adapter. The Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 delivers double the receive throughput of 1×1 SISO products, providing true 802.11n performance. The Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000 is an IEEE 802.11b/g/Draft-N wireless network adapter that operates in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. This adapter, available in both PCIe mini card and half mini card form factors, delivers up to 300 Mbps of receive throughput. It also delivers a host of features to enhance today’s mobile lifestyle. Fanless netbooks and thin value notebooks are the primary target for this low profile, one-sided design.

Installed in the ACER Apire 5740.

If they put only 2.4GHz of one device in, they probably put only the 2.4GHz of the other manufacturers WiFi units in.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by davidhoffman:

The Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 is Intel’s power-optimized, single band 802.11b/g/n, true 1×2 MIMO Wi-Fi adapter. The Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 delivers double the receive throughput of 1×1 SISO products, providing true 802.11n performance. The Intel Wi-Fi Link 1000 is an IEEE 802.11b/g/Draft-N wireless network adapter that operates in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. This adapter, available in both PCIe mini card and half mini card form factors, delivers up to 300 Mbps of receive throughput. It also delivers a host of features to enhance today’s mobile lifestyle. Fanless netbooks and thin value notebooks are the primary target for this low profile, one-sided design.

Installed in the ACER Apire 5740.

If they put only 2.4GHz of one device in, they probably put only the 2.4GHz of the other manufacturers WiFi units in.
Installed in my acer is an atheros wireless adapter, doesn't see the 5ghz network. It's 3 months old. My wifes acer laptop has an intel adapter and can see both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz networks and is at least a year and a half old. Not exactly sure what you are telling me?

Ok, just found my answer, checked specs again and found my atheros is 802.11 b/g/n. I missed that.
--
jimmy
"all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" (Edmund Burke)

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to jaynick
Acer may have chosen to only use 2.4Ghz in your 5740 to keep costs down. A laptop manufacturer can elect to use only the 2.4GHz capability of a device. Or they may have gotten a deal on older Atheros 2.4GHz only adapters and used those. The 5GHz spectrum is more prone to signal blocking and attenuation. They may have decided that it was not worth the hassles it caused and removed it for your computer. It would help if you could provide the exact part number for the Atheros adapter. It should be listed in the device management area.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit
It's an atheros ar5b93 wifi adapter. The wife's intel is a 5100 and supports a/g/n. There it is! Mine won't do a.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to jaynick
What a mess. There is a possible answer at »www.experts-exchange.com/Hardwar···166.html. But you have to sign up for the service to get it. Atheros has no real support on their website. The ar5b93 is shrouded in mystery and has caused this 5GHz problem on many other laptops. There do not seem to be any great solutions other than to buy an Intel unit and swap out the card if possible. I would go push Acer to get an answer. They decided to put this Atheros mess into the laptop, they should support a solution for it. Proprietary nonsense.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Thanks to all for the help. I just accept the fact that mine won't do the 5ghz. I rarely use it anyway.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to davidhoffman
I don't think I could swap out the unit on this laptop because I believe it's integrated on the MB.

RemyL75

join:2001-06-07
Chicago, IL
Actually on newer laptops, the wireless card is removable. Check under the bottom, there should be 2-3 removable doors held on with screws. If there are 3, then you might have a chance at replacement. For more information, check out »www.notebookreview.com
In their forums, they have a section dedicated to Acer laptops. You should be able to learn what can be upgraded and how on your specific model.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by RemyL75:

Actually on newer laptops, the wireless card is removable. Check under the bottom, there should be 2-3 removable doors held on with screws. If there are 3, then you might have a chance at replacement. For more information, check out »www.notebookreview.com
In their forums, they have a section dedicated to Acer laptops. You should be able to learn what can be upgraded and how on your specific model.
Thanks much! I'll give it a shot.
--
jimmy
"all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" (Edmund Burke)