Tavistock NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

FFH5 to gball

Premium Member

to gball

Re: So

said by gball:

I guess the whole Google is out to save the children is out the window now?
That was a PR initiative and nothing more. "Google the Good" was an ad campaign and that was all it ever was.

gball
Master Yoda
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
South Bend, IN

1 recommendation

gball

Premium Member

I was just being sarcastic...a lot of people have this impression that Google is for the good of the people and not like other big business's.

i couldnt say if that came from a commercial or not just something i have noticed in comments etc over time.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 edit

morbo

Google, up until this point, had been a contrast between what I'll call business as usual. Yes, Google always wanted to make money -- they are a business. However, when they did so it didn't make us customers/users feel like we had to take a shower after doing so. You know, the car dealer shower? Now, we may start needing a shower...

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

2 recommendations

BillRoland

Premium Member

said by morbo:

Google, up until this point, had been a contrast between what I'll call business as usual. Yes, Google always wanted to make money -- they are a business. However, when they did so it didn't make us customers/users feel like we had to take a shower after doing so. You know, the car dealer shower? Now, we may start needing a shower...
All the while happily mining your information for every drop they could sell off to anybody. They were never "good" or "different" they just had a really good brand manager who duped a bunch of people into thinking they were different.

morbo

morbo

No one cares about mined info except the super paranoid. It's a legitimate trade off -- free or near free experience for them mining our data.

And yes, Google was good and better than the rest. Go back and read. This change is a significant move away from that path. If it makes you feel smarter than everyone else for not believing Google was different then go nuts.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

thender

Premium Member

said by morbo:
And yes, Google was good and better than the rest. Go back and read. This change is a significant move away from that path. If it makes you feel smarter than everyone else for not believing Google was different then go nuts.

I'm going nuts.

For years I got called a loony for implying Google was less than perfect. It all went downhill when we collectively agreed bots could scan our personal email in exchange for a superior free email service. It's not the end of the world, but it was the first step down a slippery slope to where we are now.

I use an android phone and Google calendar everyday. It's impossible to avoid them, their free apps are better than paid alternatives. I gave up a long time ago arguing against using their products, because they are made for our generation.

The generation of piracy. The generation that expects everything cost no money.

Google is capitalizing on that. Their phone OS beats everything else and look at its cost. Their calendar system is better than what I could pay for as far as portable device integration & functionality, $50/yr for big business & free to myself. Look at their email service in 2007 vs. yahoo mail.

Look at all the shit they offer for free.

It's not free, people. It's not free.

morbo

morbo

said by thender:

It's impossible to avoid them, their free apps are better than paid alternatives. ...

It's not free, people. It's not free.
It is possible to avoid them but people like their products and believe that the tradeoff -- a loss of privacy -- is worth it. People that don't think it's worth it are still free to use other, usually inferior products.
« regulation bad, anti-consumer good!Lawyers »
This is a sub-selection from So