how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fritz43

join:2004-03-14
Wheeling, WV

[DSL] Frontier in West Virginia

Now that Verizon has given in to complete corporate cowardice and has kicked the entire state of WV under the bus, we have been graciously blessed with something called Frontier.com. What we have here (probably) is 2 guys and a card table. From the various postings so far, it is obvious that this company is completely clueless.

They are in for a surprise, however, because they have *never* dealt with folks as ornery, stubborn and downright cantankerous as pissed-off West Virginians.

Hopefully, they will get their act together. If not, there will be a mass exodus to Coma-cast, much as I hate to admit it. They've got 90 days.
--
Help stamp out hate; and haters.
--
Help stamp out hate; and haters.

WA 425

join:2006-08-19
Lynnwood, WA

Have you experienced any problems since Frontier took over?

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to fritz43

In the Fairmont and Grafton areas I am actually seeing more Verizon/Frontier trucks out on the road than I did before the takeover.

Not sure if it is an increase in trucks or just an awareness thing.

graham947

join:2001-02-04
Hurricane, WV

1 recommendation

reply to fritz43

It's called forced overtime(70 hours/ week since the end of June) Verizon left Frontier holding the bag and Frontier didn't do their homework on what they were buying.

ReeDy54

join:2003-03-24
Barboursville, WV
reply to fritz43

ALL ISPs in WV (Huntington area) are terrible including Frontier IMHO Verizon was better than frontier. The technicians are slow and well don't know what they are doing. Here's been my issues with Frontier. They installed my modem a week late then one week later cut my phone line and DSL modem off by accident on the cherry picker took them a week to get back out and turn my services back on. They said we'd get up to 6.0 mbp/s but only get 3.0mbp/s
Another complaint I had really good routing to Ashburn, VA. Then I talked to a jackass named "Jared" about the d/l speed who put a ticket in to have a technician come in my home to increase download speeds(No technician ever showed). They half way did it and just changed my server to Atlanta,GA so my video game I play comes out of Ashburn,VA but I'm now unlike before routed to Atlanta,GA on hop 4 of a tracert to www.yahoo.com then on the other hops within the network it goes back to Ashburn,VA which doubles my ping time. The routing "can't" be changed back to the way it was which is BS!

NOTE : When the cherry picker cut my phone line and DSL off for a WEEK they turned it back on and it had the correct routing, the routing issue didn't happen until a day after Jared put a ticket in for "Slow" D/L Speeds.

ReeDy54

join:2003-03-24
Barboursville, WV

JARED/Technician

SCREWED ME OUT OF 17MS constant pings TO VA NOW I HAVE 40+ TO ASHBURN,VA. I live 1 block from the "hub" or w/e office I now get 40 ms to VA and 10 jitter on pingtest.net This is all because they route my internet to Atlanta,GA data center before going to a much closer data center in Virginia. It's exactly like I'm on Interleave routing but I'm on fastpath aDSL.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to fritz43

Re: [DSL] Frontier in West Virginia

they have been having major problems with the 911 system where i live. frontier told the commission thursday that they are bringing in big wigs from rochester to fix the problem.

The commission asked if it took replacing the 8000 foot fiber cable would they do it at no cost to the county and the rep replied that if that is what it takes they will do it to make sure there are no more problems with our 911 system.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to fritz43

you guys are lucky that you have a choice in choosing providers. here in michigan it's pretty much verizon/frontier or bust

slimtim

join:2002-12-12
Coldwater, MI

I'm feeling your pain Chances14
(49094 zipcode for me..)

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV
reply to ReeDy54

said by ReeDy54:

They said we'd get up to 6.0 mbp/s but only get 3.0mbp/s
I had to call Frontier for a repair issue for my parents. So when I went to their website to get the number, I noticed that DSL speed were up to 6.0.

So after I finished the repair issue for my parents, I called back and asked about the 6.0. Was told sure, will be done by last Friday (9/3). Went away for the weekend and when I tested the speed last night, I still had 3.0.

So I called back today and was told that I never should have been told I was eligible for 6.0 as it is not even shown as an option for my area. I know the physical plant can handle it because I had 7.1 available from Verizon, but it was not worth the extra $. But if Frontier was going to give me 6.0 as a base, then sign me up.

So has anyone in the Huntington/Charleston corridor been able to get 6.0?

dsless

join:2001-05-16
Pittsburgh, PA

My sister's DSL modem only get about 900/kbs down and about 300 up. Well Frontier says it all. Your on the frontier with 2 cups and string for High speed internet....

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV

I could go back to Comcast, but with their caps in place, that might present a problem. I am now using Netflix over the internet quite a bit and would hit the 2G cap monthly.

WA 425

join:2006-08-19
Lynnwood, WA
reply to dsless

said by dsless:

My sister's DSL modem only get about 900/kbs down and about 300 up. Well Frontier says it all. Your on the frontier with 2 cups and string for High speed internet....
That's pretty bad. Is it possible she was doing a speed test on a wirelessly-connected device?

said by herdfan:

the 2G cap
250G, actually.

dsless

join:2001-05-16
Pittsburgh, PA

Nope. Direct wired.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fritz43

Don't Frontier have a 5GB monthly cap? The technician working on upgrading service in my area told me they never hear about it and that the lowest tier service is 3 MB and it is $30 per month but a technician on the phone verified to me that there is a 5 GB limit each month. This is worse than satellite because at least with Hughesnet you can download unlimited from 2AM to 7AM and can get higher packages with higher limits. Then again, with Frontier, from what I read in other posts, they will send you a letter saying it is $100 for a 100 GB limit and $250 for a 250 GB limit each month.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

Frontier scrapped the 5GB usage plan a month or so ago. It's been removed from the AUP (Despite the page still existing) which is back to basically it's original, pre-"cap" state.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fritz43

I wonder if they plan on bring it back once they get most of these "remote" areas up and going and have a lot of people on contracts? By that time, the new satellite broaband satellites should be up and hopefully they will compete against DSL and cable in price like they say they will. Without some sort of competition in these rural areas, companies like this will do what they want to do.

joe_spears

join:2010-09-10
Winfield, WV
reply to fritz43

I still can't even get Frontier DSL where I live wasn't able to get Verizon DSL either. I think im to far from the CO probably. The only choice we have here in my area is Comcast (Winfield, WV) and its so behind the other Comcast markets in WV and other states cause this area they don't have DOCSIS 3 speeds, no On Demand, not one single HD channel, and no Comcast phone service. So are only option for phone is really landline from Frontier or VoIP which is not very reliable over this cable internet connection here in Winfield, WV. We must be one of the last if not the last Comcast market out there that don't have one single HD channel on the lineup.