Search similar:

uniqs

Brian M
@teksavvy.com

Brian M

Anon

[DSL] OpenBSD single-link MLPPP (SLPPP)

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a single-link MLPPP setup working with OpenBSD, but I'm having some trouble. I've posted many details of my problem here:

»serverfault.com/questions/170050

The gist is that I can't seem to verify/activate multi-link PPP with OpenBSD.

Thank you for reading, and I'd be very grateful for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Kind regards,

Brian

(Incidentally, on a related note, of the many links I've found, the link I believe Mersault has posted seems to be broken:
»bsdtips.utcorp.net/media ··· ink_PPP;
I expect it may have some helpful information -- does anyone have a mirror?)

derekm
join:2008-02-26

derekm

Hiya,

From my recollection, by setting mrru, you are forcing multi-link. The clone, etc only serve to establish your bundle.

You may wish to lower the mrru to match the mtu/mru of the multilink, so you aren't getting fragmentation inside your multilink connection.

If you want to be sure that multilink is enabled, do something like:

tcpdump -w /tmp/dumpfile.bin -i vr0 (ppp physical ethernet interface) -s 65535

Then open the dump file with wireshark, and it will show you what encapsulation is being used.
derekm

derekm to Brian M

to Brian M
PS. - I see that you have @teksavvy.com in your username in your ppp.conf.

I believe you need to have a mlppp account for this to work as well. (It's a different radius realm, I forget which).

Brianmhunt
@teksavvy.com

Brianmhunt to derekm

Anon

to derekm
Hi derekm,

That's very helpful advice, thank you. I'm not there, yet, but working on it, and that definitely puts me in the right direction.

I haven't subscribed to the Teksavvy MLPPP service, as I am really only doing SLPPP, but I've an outgoing email to them asking what is appropriate in the circumstances.

I've captured the Ethernet with tcpdump, but I don't see in Wireshark how to determine whether the encapsulation is MLPPP. Here's a sample packet from the ethernet device:
PPP-over-Ethernet Session
   0001 .... = Version: 1
   .... 0001 = Type: 1
   Code: Session Data (0x00)
   Session ID: 0x0c52
   Payload length: 554

Point-to-Point Protocol
   Protocol: IP (0x0021)

Incidentally, it seems the different radius names are:
quote:
Premium 200GB (@teksavvy.com), Unlimited (@dslinternet.ca)
Premium MLPPP (@wiredhighspeed.com), Unlimited MLPPP (@copperdsl.ca)

(I can't seem to log in with my username@wiredhighspeed.com, whether that makes any difference for SLPPP).

So I'm still not sure if I'm running MLPPP, or how to enable if it I'm not, but certainly this helps me debug.

Brian

derekm
join:2008-02-26

1 edit

derekm to Brian M

to Brian M
If it was mlppp encapsulated, you would see the extra header in wireshark, so no, you are not running mlppp right now.

Right, so even single link mlppp requires an account on the @wiredhighspeed.com realm. TekSavvy charges an extra $4/month for this, but you can get a static IP thrown in, if you wish. You will need to call them, and get this before you can progress.