Obtainchi
join:2006-02-27
Cleveland, TN

1 edit

Obtainchi

Could someone help me with this. New to U-Verse

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm worried that something is wrong with my service but don't know enough about the numbers to make an educated decision. I have been getting disconnected randomly, multiple times everyday and my Tv will freeze up for up to a minute at a time. Can someone look at this image of my setup and tell me if it is ok or just bonkers.

*Edit* Added bitloading img
KookyMan
join:2001-09-09
Clio, MI

KookyMan

While I'm no expert myself, it appears that your profile that ATT gave you was 25/2 (Profile Rate) but your line isn't performing to that level (Calc User Line Rate) as a result your exceeding your available bandwidth, so your sources are starving for data.

Is it safe to assume that your drops happen when your watching TV, and your TV freezes happen when your downloading things? (You didn't mention Voice, so I'm not accounting for that.)
Obtainchi
Cleveland, TN

Obtainchi

I just have internet and tv only. When the tech came out to do the install he said he had some trouble but he was not specific. Just wonder if they didnt do such a good job.

SomeJoe7777
join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX

SomeJoe7777

It looks like you have a bridge tap on your line. Call tech support, have them send a tech, have him look at your line. He probably will need to call the linesmen's group (I&R) to find and remove the bridge tap.

Once the bridge tap is removed, your max rate will come up and your provblem should be solved. You'll also see most or all of the red indicators disappear in U-Verse Realtime.

saladbar15
join:2009-07-18
Brighton, MA

saladbar15 to Obtainchi

to Obtainchi
Yes, it's very possible that you have a bridge tap like Joe said. After seeing your chart as well as your capacity, it's not surprising you're having issues with dropouts.

PS: Rather than getting frustrated on the phone: »How to Contact Tier 2 agents
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806 to SomeJoe7777

to SomeJoe7777
I don't know if I'd say bridge tap though it's possible a terminal down the line may still be splice in (a very short bridge tap) the big issue to me is there's heavy ADSL interference. Notice the graph drops dramatically at the DSL range. Also notice at higher frequencies on D1 there is an unsteady hold to the bitloading as well as a bit of AM interference. On D2 you see the bitloading having a weird gap develop between bins.

Seeing Active Line Noise would surely confirm if there was any form of bridgetap but I don't see the telltale oscillation across the entire spectrum that bridgetaps get. I'd sooner venture that it's a weak/missing bond or water in an aerial cable causing harmful crosstalk and impulse noise. Possibly even an untwisted section of cabling.

SomeJoe7777
join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX

SomeJoe7777

Yes, those issues are possible as well. Definitely going to need a linesman to find and fix those issues also.
tberg
join:2001-08-23
Greenville, SC

tberg to bogey7806

to bogey7806
said by bogey7806:

Notice the graph drops dramatically at the DSL range.
Can you enlighten some of us on what is the "DSL range"? Is that the green section of the Bitloading graph? I'm asking so I can learn.

Thanks.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Looks like crosstalk issues

I don't remember off the top of my head what the ADSL frequency range is, but somewhere on the "left"/early part of that graph is the ADSL frequency range. It is about where your interference is occuring

saladbar15
Brighton, MA

saladbar15 to tberg

to tberg
Based on the dips in the graph and what IL said, probably around .8
bogey7806
Here

1 edit

bogey7806 to tberg

to tberg
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IT ··· _G.992.1

Essentially 4kHz to 1104kHz. Or in terms of megahertz, 0.004MHz to 1.1Mhz. You'll note that the interference virtually disappears once you get above 1.1kHz. I'm guessing there's no ADSL2+ in your area as it would extend the interference a bit.

As to the green portion, I made a slight error. I thought that D2 began at just before 5.0MHz and that the green just denoted the second band. But D2 begins actually at 5.2MHz and is thus not depicted on this graph. But the green area is called U1 and is the upload band primarily used for Uverse.

»www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G. ··· 602-I/en

The English version listed first is the official ITU spec on VDSL2. Annez A of the document starts off with a graph showing the frequency ranges.

At an estimated 2300ft of 26ga EWL you should have a bit higher upload and download as you're only a small distance past where the 32/5Mb profile is expected to work.

Power influence caused by poor bonding and insufficient shielding can cause impulse noise to rise dramatically as it acts as an amplifier to all resident frequencies. That's bad because it causes low level background noise (such as ADSL crosstalk and AM radio stations) to now rise above the noise threshold of the modem and disrupt the bits. You see it on the modem as FEC errors.

You know you have bad AM interference when you can see the dips on the band chart precisely where AM radio stations in your area broadcast. With yous I see a major station at around 1100(1.1Mzh)and 1500(1.5Mhz). Sound about right?
Obtainchi
Cleveland, TN

1 edit

Obtainchi

Am station 1570 & 1340 broadcast in my area. Cool, I can see the dark lines in the yellow area where the frequency is affected. But why the dip in the .800 area?

So I should call AT&T about this then. If so what do I need to tell them?

saladbar15
Brighton, MA

1 edit

saladbar15

You should definitely contact then, however as I said above, take a look here: »How to Contact Tier 2 agents

Send along both of those pictures as well as your account number, and probably the link to this thread.

And trust me, it's a ton easier than going over the phone.
bogey7806
Here

bogey7806 to Obtainchi

to Obtainchi
'But why the dip in the .800 area?'

That's the ADSL interference.