uniqs
share rss forum feed

Krytor
Reminiscing The Future
Premium
join:2001-07-07
Indianapolis, IN

No dial-tone

I have POTS and UVerse service. Thursday morning both stopped working, so I called to report the issue as "no dial-tone" and got an automated reply with an estimated fix date of 8/21, 8PM (next Saturday). I'm posting to maybe find out if a tech here can find what the issue is remotely (bad VRAD?) and also ask if repair turn around times are normally this long for this time of year. I had the same problem earlier this year (maybe March) and a tech stopped by within 2 hours and had it fixed within 3, so over a one week estimate seems awful in comparison.

Thanks!

KookyMan

join:2001-09-09
Clio, MI

If your POTS is affected, then call again. Talk to the sheer voice side. I don't think they can let a phone line go a week without repair, because of 911.

They may just have you queued into a Uverse voice line. I must admit, it seems strange to have POTS and Uverse, I'm surprised they didn't combine the two. Either way, I don't think they can put off a phone repair for a week.
--
I miss my dial-up modem... It was an error correcting modem... I seem to have so many typo's lately.....

Mike_

join:2003-06-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits

I'm a tech - could you tell me what lights are on in front of the RG? Have you tried rebooting it? Can you access »home or »192.168.1.254 on your web browser? Have you gone to your NID (box outside wall) and via the customer access side, plugged a phone into the test jack to verify Dial Tone?

Also, I have seen sometimes, on outside loop, simple accidents such as your pair being knocked out of the port when maintenance/work was being done in the VRAD. Its a simple fix and should not be being pushed out that far if you have DT (POTS service). Call them again and explain that your phone service is still via POTS Dial Tone. Turn around repair time is supposed to be 24 hours maximum for POTS. I doubt there is an issue with the VRAD itself, as everyone on it would be affected in some way.
--
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you know what you're doing.

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13

said by Mike_:

I'm a tech - could you tell me what lights are on in front of the RG? Have you tried rebooting it? Can you access »home or »192.168.1.254 on your web browser? Have you gone to your NID (box outside wall) and via the customer access side, plugged a phone into the test jack to verify Dial Tone?

Also, I have seen sometimes, on outside loop, simple accidents such as your pair being knocked out of the port when maintenance/work was being done in the VRAD. Its a simple fix and should not be being pushed out that far if you have DT (POTS service). Call them again and explain that your phone service is still via POTS Dial Tone. Turn around repair time is supposed to be 24 hours maximum for POTS. I doubt there is an issue with the VRAD itself, as everyone on it would be affected in some way.
POTS turn around repair time here is about a week or more
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

Krytor
Reminiscing The Future
Premium
Indianapolis, IN

1 edit
reply to Mike_

said by Mike_:

I've listened for dial tone with a phone at the NID, but its completely silent. RG's broadband light is flashing RED (before and after being rebooted) RG software is accessible and as expected tells me there's no signal. The line from the NID to the pole appears intact, so there's no obvious damage.

I'll try calling again in the morning. During the first call, I never had an option to speak with anyone. An automatic line test was performed and told me there was a problem, a trouble ticket was opened, and finally given the repair time estimate.

Edit -- Regarding having POTS -- I got U-Verse before the phone service package was an option. I'm still paying two bills to AT&T. (Uverse and a residential line)

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to KookyMan

said by KookyMan:

I don't think they can put off a phone repair for a week.
They can if you report static on the line instead of no dial tone.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to iLive4Fusion

said by iLive4Fusion:

POTS turn around repair time here is about a week or more
Last Tuesday I was knocked offline by static, and a weird crosstalk issue. Sounded like I was talking into an echo chamber, and about a minute into a call, I'd here a distant ring, and a distant operator's voice telling me that I should hang up and redial if I needed to make a call; all while the call I was on was still in progress. When I called it in, I reported it as "static on the line", and was given a due date for the tech eight days out.

Then I decided to see if I could dial into the Internet and post here; only to have the DUN report "No Dial Tone". So I picked up the handset. Sure enough, no dial tone. So I called in on a cell phone, and got to a live operator, who told me the service call was so far out because I had reported, "static on the line". So I told her I needed to change it to, "no dial tone". It was fixed within 48 hours.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Krytor

Look on you POTS bill and call the Phone service/repair number.

I had a simular thing happen back in June, one moning POTS and U-verse just died. It turned out that a tech was down the street and had grabbed my pair instead of the correct pair for the service address where he was working on a new U-verse install. The phone numbers are one digit off and they were both installed on the very same day 16 years ago, so it was an easy mistake.

It took about 1 hour to run down the actual cause and they found the tech at the same time as I was walking up to ask him about problems in the area. He smiled and said he needed 15 mintues to go back to the Crossbox and the VRAD but he then stopped by and verified that all my service was back.

On a side note, I also got an $11 service credit on my POTS bill for that 1 hour outage.

Dave

Krytor
Reminiscing The Future
Premium
Indianapolis, IN

Today I verified that the repair # I called is the same as the one on my land line bill and they are the same. Also, my repair ticket shows up on both the web repair status page and the automated phone repair status #. Same ETA. I guess I'm SOL until next week.

tberg

join:2001-08-23
Greenville, SC

I got $15 credit for a 5 hour outage of all 3 of my services. Make sure you call for a credit once it is back up.

dingo4
Premium
join:2009-02-08
kudos:1
reply to Krytor

Is this POTS or VOIP???