uniqs

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Two outside outlets not working, breaker not tripped...

I have two outside outlets that are on the same line which are not working. The breaker in the panel is not tripped, resets fine. One is on the side of the house where the driveway is and have a plastic box over the plugs. I noticed that there is some water in there even though the box is closed. Neither the test or the reset buttons work on either outlet.

Can I replace the one that is wet and do you think that will get them both working?

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium Member
join:2001-10-24
Malta

n1zuk

Premium Member

It sounds like the two troubled outlets are GFCI outlets. Typically, only one GFCI outlet is needed *IF* the outlets are chained together on the same circuit breaker (but it is OK for each to be GFCI).

First thing I would check is to see if there is another outlet on this circuit. My guess is that it is also a GFCI, and is tripped.

I had this happen to me a long time ago, where the outlet in my mother's master bath had no power. Found it was chained to the GFCI outlet inside her garage.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

The one under the porch took some forcing to reset but it works now, but the one that is wet will not reset/test. I think a trip to Aubuchon is in order to replace it.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

Why is it wet?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I am thinking that the notch taken out of the bottom of the cover to fit a cir through night have got some splash back. I have caulked it before but I am wondering if I missed a spot.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to ptrowski

MVM

to ptrowski
Well, if you have water in there, it is going to help corrode the wiring and receptacle components. Seal it up well. Replace the GFCI receptacle, and pay careful attention to the wiring. Best to cut off the stripped ends and re-strip. And use the screw terminals, rather than the push-in terminals.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

Check gfci on bathroom outlets.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to ptrowski

MVM

to ptrowski
I once had an outdoor outlet (GFCI) that got some wind-driven moisture in it and it (forgot to close the cover when I unplugged whatever I was using), too, refused to reset or test. I ended up using a hair dryer to dry it out and it worked fine after that. It didn't have a spring-loaded cover. You had to manually snap the hinged covers over the outlet and I neglected to do so. We had a pretty windy rainstorm overnight and it must have gotten wet that way.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

That sounds like my setup. I only have one cord going into the bottom for some Malibu lights but I am thinking that after some heavy rain's there was some splash.