spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CulDeSac
join:2007-12-01
Chandler, AZ

CulDeSac

Whirlpool Duet Front-loader Washing Machine Grinding Noise

We have a Duet front-loader washing machine and has started making a grinding noise when turning under load (towels). We've had a technician out and they indicate that it is working and not their problem. While it is working, it makes a horrible noise that echoes through the house.

Ideas on where I should post the video and complaint to get action?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

A quick google search shows this to be a very common problem with these machines.
Who's technician came out? A Whirpool rep, or one you hired?
jsbaker
join:2002-07-13
Houston, TX

jsbaker to CulDeSac

to CulDeSac
Good luck getting this fixed. My Duet sport was doing the same thing and also sounded like it had a load of rocks in the tub. Although it did this even when it was empty. Mine was only 6 months old and under warranty. The entire drive system had to be replaced, it took 4 shipments of broken parts and over a month to get it fixed. Whirlpool will make all the promises in the world and never keep their word.

CulDeSac
Chandler, AZ

CulDeSac to nunya

to nunya
We have a 10 year warranty (5 years full replacement + 5 years drive train). A&E came out under contract. As stated in the OP, A&E commented that it was working and has not failed. So, nothing can be done yet... Should I expect it to fail?

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to CulDeSac

MVM

to CulDeSac
Oh, if it's making a horrible noise, then it's time to get one of the TV channels out to show and record it. See if Whirlpool will replace it then. Or put a video on youtube with the sound. Then send Whirlpool a letter to listen to it and see if they want it in THEIR house as you will send it to them.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to CulDeSac

Premium Member

to CulDeSac
We had one. It had that noise as well. Our repairman told us that the rear bearing was going out and it was not worth repairing. We got 10 years out of that machine, which probably isn't bad these days.
RWOTB
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04

RWOTB to CulDeSac

Premium Member

to CulDeSac
I have a Duet HT Front Loading Washer (w/dryer) that I bought in 2003. Mine was making grinding noises for a year or so. Then it wouldn't spin out and the noise was the worst yet. I downloaded the repair manual from the 'net, cleaned out all the hoses and ran it again - water pump was dead.

Searched online and found a local company who sells part to DIYers. After paying about $140.00 I took out the old pump, put in the new one and she runs like a charm. In fact, the stinky water problem is not near as bad as it was and the loads are coming out much drier.

Take off that small front panel and unscrew the cover on the pump. Sometimes the "filter" gets full of stuff from pockets, cat/dog hair, etc. Clean it out well and run it with the panel off and see how it does. It's also a good way to find out exactly where the grinding noise is coming from. I ended taking off the top and back panels as well.

CulDeSac
Chandler, AZ

CulDeSac

This sounds more like a high pitched winning noise instead of a grinding noise. It sounds like as if one of your bearings is going out in your car... and it only happens under load (full load of towels).
RWOTB
Premium Member

RWOTB

Premium Member

I do remember the bearing noise on my car when it developed that wonderful problem. The noise my washer made would change over time, as well as with the type of load and weight of it. I know I started avoiding using the extra high spin speed as it seemed to happen more when using that spin speed. Sometimes, it wouldn't make the noise at all. Appliance repair guy just ran it through some diagnostic cycles and declared "it seems fine". Last time I give them 75 bucks.

Being a woman, I know we tend to describe noises differently then men. My husband thought it sounded like a bearing going out. When I took off the back panel I made sure I inspected that rear bearing. There's also a belt in the back. No unusual wear or tear was noted (by me, that is - the repairman never opened up my machine). The noise briefly went away after I cleaned out the filter.

Haven't heard any noises from mine since I installed the new water pump. Tho', I might be replacing the motor for the dispenser in the near future.

Have you taken any panels off and listened to it as it runs?

CulDeSac
Chandler, AZ

CulDeSac

The washer is lodged in our laundry room between the dryer and refrig. I've not opened a panel seeing that I'd have to significantly move things around. Seeing that we have the 10 year warranty, maybe I'll just wait until it seizes. Just the noise at full spin/load is amazing.
RWOTB
Premium Member

RWOTB

Premium Member

You wouldn't have to move it to open the front panel (it's just below the door and above the pedestal drawer - if you have the pedestals). But it's your call.

Mine is wedged between the utility sink, dryer and sump pit. You should see the paint damage on the sides of both appliances from the washer knocking against the dryer.

That noise is amazing. I had started standing in front of it, waiting for it to die. Good luck!
briand069
join:2003-04-13
Vacaville, CA

1 edit

briand069 to CulDeSac

to CulDeSac
More than likely it's the rear bearings. It't the same thing that happened to ours. I was able to replace them once but the shaft that they ride on had worn down so it only lasted about a year. If you pull the back panel off you will probably see rust stains coming from behind the pulley. Good luck.

These aren't my pics but this is exactly what mine looked like.
»appliancejunk.com/forums ··· ic=123.0

bobrk
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

Yup, the repair man told us that the rear seal fails, which then allows the bearing to get wet and die.

CulDeSac
Chandler, AZ

CulDeSac

All I can say, is that these units suck and we are glad that we purchased the extended warranty. As a side note, our steam box went bad and this appears to have started after that. Could it have been the latent moisture from the bad steam box that borked the seals/bearings?

bobrk
Premium Member
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

said by CulDeSac:

All I can say, is that these units suck and we are glad that we purchased the extended warranty. As a side note, our steam box went bad and this appears to have started after that. Could it have been the latent moisture from the bad steam box that borked the seals/bearings?
Ours didn't have steam, I don't believe there were many steam units sold in '99.