signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Those look nice, though I prefer the wire over the ear design. It would be cool to see Westone add wood to its feature set...
signmeuptoo94

signmeuptoo94 to SandShark5

Premium Member

to SandShark5
In some reading I've done, sometimes wood doesn't necessarily work on cheaper phones. They lean on the warm side and can sound muddy, but I think it depends a LOT on the electronics, drivers, design, and type of wood. I think saying that "Wood CAN be good for headphones" might be appropriate to some degree.

This is only what I gather so far in my reading. I am a total neophyte when it comes to cans. I've never tried a set of good Grados for instance, after hearing so much about them.

Aluminum seems to be good for some phones too.

I've never played an aluminum guitar, but I know that the choice of type of wood, the choice of particular piece, the choice of cut of it, and the workmanship has a huge affect on the sound character of any given electric guitar, and I've owned a few of them.

The difference between a Les Paul 1950's classic and a Beatles era 12 string Ricky are proof of this, the former has sustain out the ass, the latter has a clackity clank, jingle jangle sound. This is also true of amplifier speaker systems. I had a set of Fender Dual Showmans with the 2 large speakers that had the cleanest, richest warmest sound you could ask for, all tube amp to boot. Those were the good old days...