kudos:4

3 edits

almost nobody hitting a 250gb cap is doing ONLY legal activity

Split from this topic --> »I got call today .. 400 gb last month
~sorto'

said by Chillin:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by MSauk:

So I get a copy of a movie I own, and do none of the work (or my computer for that matter).
Sadly, if you are using bittorrent you also share that move back out as you download it, to people who may or may not own it, thus opening yourself up to getting targeted for legal action.

So, yeah, I'd just rip it myself.
I agree. To add to that, almost nobody hitting a 250gb cap a month is doing ONLY legal activities.

Not saying it doesn't exsist, there are always exceptions, but those are few and far between.
This has been covered to death and proven wrong. Read the thread. It's more than "a few".

Mod Note: See also ---> »if you are using that much data, its USUALLY piracy

--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Re: I got call today .. 400 gb last month

No, it's a few.

Given the huge number of CHSI subscribers, and the dozen (maybe?) examples given here, that is an extremely small ratio. This forum is about the worst place to talk about average internet usage. That's not the people that visit and post here.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
join:2002-04-22
Johnson City, TN
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

This has been covered to death and proven wrong. Read the thread. It's more than "a few".
In context of total users, its few. Does Comcast not maintain its 1% of users that are the problem?

99% vs 1%, makes the 1%.....FEW.
--
Graphic Disorder

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

In context of total users, its few. Does Comcast not maintain its 1% of users that are the problem?

Wrong. I'm not saying it's not 1% total. You were implying only a small % of that 1% total reach the cap legally. That is false.

Read my post again.
--

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

Wrong. I'm not saying it's not 1% total. You were implying only a small % of that 1% total reach the cap legally. That is false.

Read my post again.
You have proof of this? You dont. You dont have any data at all to support this. Other than you claim you dont do anything illegal with it. I doubt that seriously as well. Show us some data that you have to back this up? A "few" people you talk to online im sure is all the data you got.

Everyone I know that has got the "call" from comcast is doing at least partly something illegal. Even the guy in this thread is copying movies he claims to already own, I doubt thats legal considering he is sharing the movie while downloading it.

To be more clear, I dont know a single person that is just watching netflix and browsing the web normally that has got the call.
--
Graphic Disorder

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by Chillin:

You have proof of this? You dont. You dont have any data at all to support this. Other than you claim you dont do anything illegal with it. I doubt that seriously as well. Show us some data that you have to back this up? A "few" people you talk to online im sure is all the data you got.

Everyone I know that has got the "call" from comcast is doing at least partly something illegal. Even the guy in this thread is copying movies he claims to already own, I doubt thats legal considering he is sharing the movie while downloading it.

To be more clear, I dont know a single person that is just watching netflix and browsing the web normally that has got the call.
And where is your proof that it's only a few?

Everyone you know?
--

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN

1 recommendation

said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

Everyone you know?
You are not really suggesting that most people hitting the cap are doing it legally are you? I mean really.
--
Graphic Disorder

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

Everyone you know?
You are not really suggesting that most people hitting the cap are doing it legally are you? I mean really.
No, you suggested there are only a few, i said you're wrong.
--

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
said by Alcohol:

Few in context, so I am right.

So we agree, most people are hitting this cap doing illegal things. My statement earlier was clear, im sure there are people that are hitting it doing nothing illegal, those are few and far between in CONTEXT with the people that are hitting it doing illegal things, like downloading music/movies/software/etc.

Its not like for a second any of us here believe you dont do something illegal with your connection here and there.

Lets not forget, you pay for and subcribe to a service you know is capped. Go business class or keep crying about it, those are your choices.
--
Graphic Disorder

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

Citation needed.
--

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN

1 edit
said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

Citation needed.
Are you still ignoring the fact you are paying for capped internet, and upset that they are capping you.

Makes sense.
--
Graphic Disorder

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by Chillin:

Are you still ignoring the fact you are paying for capped internet, and upset that they are capping you.

Makes sense.
huh?

No?
--

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

Makes sense.
huh?

No?
Why are you bitching about capping then?

Just to bitch?
--
Graphic Disorder

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

1 edit
said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

Makes sense.
huh?

No?
Why are you bitching about capping then?

Just to bitch?
Is this a serious question?
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Alcohol

Re: almost nobody hitting a 250gb cap is doing ONLY legal activi

I'm not sure why we're on this tangent, but if I can summarize, the positions

Chillin's position is that most|nearly all folks using more than 250GB/mo are involved in illegal activities.

My position (odd, given that I am on business class, and even without cap I generally don't go over 250GB) is that it's not at all difficult to do so legally.

So, yeah, while its easy to imagine how you can blow hundreds of gigs doing illegal things, its equally easy to imagine someone enthusiastically using free and/or paid services that consume massive amounts of bandwidth.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

1 recommendation

Exactly. And without any proof, it's a pointless argument.
--

CSD8086

join:2004-03-12
US

2 edits
Not looking to stir the pot, but as a fairly new CHSI user with two newly-minted Roku's, I can easily see how legal usage can burn thru the 250GB cap.

With both Roku's going w/Netflix (moderate usage of both for any given day), my daily usage is north of 10GB. The 250GB cap provides for a little over 8GB of daily usage. Granted, the 10GB+ use is not a long-term daily average, but as consumers' needs/usage evolves (and it will), I can foresee that many people with their *legal* activities are going to start feeling cramped with these limits...

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Chillin's position is that most|nearly all folks using more than 250GB/mo are involved in illegal activities.

My position (odd, given that I am on business class, and even without cap I generally don't go over 250GB) is that it's not at all difficult to do so legally.

So, yeah, while its easy to imagine how you can blow hundreds of gigs doing illegal things, its equally easy to imagine someone enthusiastically using free and/or paid services that consume massive amounts of bandwidth.
Normal use for most people, even a family of 4+ would be hard to hit 250gb.

Someone with no life watching 10hrs a day of netflix may be able to do it I am sure. Either way I never said it wasn't possible, clearly is. I said most people hitting that cap are doing it illegally, you know it and I know it. He is trying to debate as if that isn't the truth. Im sure there are a percent of those doing it leggally and thats great, however there is a cap. They will need to learn to live with it or upgrade like you did.
--
Graphic Disorder

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
reply to CSD8086
said by CSD8086:

Not looking to stir the pot, but as a fairly new CHSI user with two newly-minted Roku's, I can easily see how legal usage can burn thru the 250GB cap.

With both Roku's going w/Netflix (moderate usage of both for any given day), my daily usage is north of 10GB. The 250GB cap provides for a little over 8GB of daily usage. Granted, the 10GB+ use is not a long-term daily average, but as consumers' needs/usage evolves (and it will), I can foresee that many people with their *legal* activities are going to start feeling cramped with these limits...
I am sure as what you are doing becomes more the "norm" the caps will go up.

Unfortunately there will still be those complaining that the new cap is to low. Its not likely to ever end, rather just move up in cap and up in usage.
--
Graphic Disorder

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Chillin
said by Chillin:

said by JohnInSJ:

Again, citation needed.

Counter evidence has been provided in this thread.
--

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

said by JohnInSJ:

Again, citation needed.

Counter evidence has been provided in this thread.
Most people wouldn't consider 10hrs of video streaming a day normal.

So while im sure you can find people that do that, that doesn't make it normal. Comcast has already told you normal would be about 99% of their users, that use less than the cap. Thats what normal is, if thats a issue for you, upgrade.
--
Graphic Disorder

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

2 edits
reply to Alcohol
The evidence is, that there is no evidence. Aside from this website, and a blurb 6 months ago when Comcast announced it, you arent hearing an uproar from the Comcast Internet community where people are getting booted left and right (please note, that I already said ASIDE FROM THIS SITE) for over usage. I am a member of this website, have a general interest in broadband, and use my connection every day. Hulu, online gaming, the occasional torrent (legal, of course), and have NEVER hit above 100gb.

You want hard proof? Gimme a few days, and I will post mine, parents, grand parents, and a few friends of mine who are all CC customers, and I will wager to say that I will be around 50-80 gigs, and the rest will all be UNDER 10 gigs.

That being said, what the point of the arguement is, there are legitimate ways to hit above 250gb. If you are doing this LEGALLY, you are likely using a lot of online video, thus competing with CCs main line of revenue. Nothing wrong with a business protecting its assets.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
said by baineschile:

The evidence is, that there is no evidence. Aside from this website, and a blurb 6 months ago when Comcast announced it, you arent hearing an uproar from the Comcast Internet community where people are getting booted left and right (please note, that I already said ASIDE FROM THIS SITE) for over usage. I am a member of this website, have a general interest in broadband, and use my connection every day. Hulu, online gaming, the occasional torrent (legal, of course), and have NEVER hit above 100gb.

You want hard proof? Gimme a few days, and I will post mine, parents, grand parents, and a few friends of mine who are all CC customers, and I will wager to say that I will be around 50-80 gigs, and the rest will all be UNDER 10 gigs.

That being said, what the point of the arguement is, there are legitimate ways to hit above 250gb. If you are doing this LEGALLY, you are likely using a lot of online video, thus competing with CCs main line of revenue. Nothing wrong with a business protecting its assets.
He doesn't understand it.

Well said though.
--
Graphic Disorder

jhaygood86

join:2005-03-01
Marietta, GA
reply to Alcohol
Another easy way to blow the cap is just to have a nerdvana filled household:

2 Desktops (with lots of game downloads -- legal from Steam)
3 Laptops almost on Netflix, Hulu, Fancast Xfinity, or Youtube
1 Netbook
3 Smartphones on wifi (2 with UMA as well)
2 XBOX 360s on HDTVs with Netflix and gaming constantly

Not hard to push 400 GB in a month with that going on. This is with 3 people on it

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
said by jhaygood86:

Another easy way to blow the cap is just to have a nerdvana filled household:

2 Desktops (with lots of game downloads -- legal from Steam)
3 Laptops almost on Netflix, Hulu, Fancast Xfinity, or Youtube
1 Netbook
3 Smartphones on wifi (2 with UMA as well)
2 XBOX 360s on HDTVs with Netflix and gaming constantly

Not hard to push 400 GB in a month with that going on. This is with 3 people on it
Yup very possible, also not in anyway normal.
--
Graphic Disorder

jhaygood86

Marietta, GA
Depends on your definition of normal.

By "normal", you mean what the vast majority of people do, then no, probably not

By "normal", you mean normal for the group of you know, my usage is quite low. Add on torrents and rapidshare to the group, and I know people who get nearly a terabyte a month (using U-Verse.. which isn't available at my address...)

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
Johnson City, TN
said by jhaygood86:

Depends on your definition of normal.

By "normal", you mean what the vast majority of people do, then no, probably not

By "normal", you mean normal for the group of you know, my usage is quite low. Add on torrents and rapidshare to the group, and I know people who get nearly a terabyte a month (using U-Verse.. which isn't available at my address...)
Comcast would likely say normal is the vast majority of their customers (99%). Sub 250gb.

I wouldn't judge normal on what a few guys on DSLR reports do with their connection by any means.

I think its actually awesome Comcast offers a way to use more than 250gb if you really must. Not all providers offer such a thing and you'd be SOL and sometimes black listed ive heard on other providers. Left with DSL or worse no broadband at all.
--
Graphic Disorder

jjv124

join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA
These threads are Fantastic! Ok in all seriousnss everything needs to be quantified in this case, what are you saying is a few? How many of that 1% do we qualify as few? Also are we taking the 250 limit as what is normal useage? And how do we define normal? Are you saying the vast majority on their everyday habits? If that's the case isn't that number more than likely well under 250? I take zero umbridge with those that blow the cap on "illegal downloading" because here's the thing they know they are doing something illegally and are taking their own risks doing so. I take the biggest issue with those who do so illegally and are doing so with the mindset that they are completely at right to do illegal downloading but that's an argument for another day. Of course you can hit the cap legally, you just have to be an incredibly tech savvy user because most customers...and again I'm quantifying most by the "avg" user are not going to run multiple net based apps to do their video and game downloading.

jhaygood86

Marietta, GA
reply to Chillin
I kind of wished they had a way to pay for uncapped access (at the same price as Business Class even), but stay on residential bundled service. The problem I have with going to business class was that all of my services will go up in cost (based on the conversation I had with 3 different reps) I currently pay $159.95 for 16/2 internet, Preferred Plus with HBO, Digital Voice Unlimited, and an extra $9.95 for DVR service. Getting Business Class would make my cost go to:

$39.95 for Digital Voice
$5 eMTA Rental
$95.70 for TV
$15.96 for DVR
$99.95 for BC Internet
$5 Modem Rental for BC Internet
Total: $261.56

(Versus Uncapped Total at: $160.90)

That's just crazy. I'd be willing to pay let's say.. an extra $40 for service (placing it at $200.90) -- but not $100

This is with the same level of service, just with uncapped internet. That's over $100 extra! It's actually the same cost just to get a second Business Class line (and thus pay for 2 internet connections!)

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Chillin
said by Chillin:

Most people wouldn't consider 10hrs of video streaming a day normal.
HD video streaming... not 10 hours a day. Even Netflix's anemic "HD" of 3600-4500kbps only gives you about 160 hours total of HD streaming a month. Now you're looking at 5 hours a day. If you are using a *real* HD service (Vudu, which sends you BlueRay 25GB/movie downloads with DRM, to their STB) you are talking 10 Movies a month. Or 25 hours of HDTV content.

Now its looking quite easy to do.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us