·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

4 edits

Smith6612 to chutzler

MVM

to chutzler

Re: [Internet] For anyone seeing speed issues...

Your connection to the network is much improved . The DSL line is pinging normally to the network when idle (with a spike here and there which could be from anything at the moment), however the varied speeds and latency at almost idle speeds looks very much like a Juniper ERX being mixed in with a Lucent switch creating an incompatibility, a problem we see a lot at the Verizon DSL forums. Without an RDNS showing for the edge router in your line quality test, it's hard to tell what is the issue. The varied latency the trace route is showing may or may not be normal however, but Gig-E links can run at 10ms latency when fully loaded so that makes it more difficult to troubleshoot without seeing the data from the links themselves.

Can you try running this test below from Ethernet and post up the results you get from it? It's UDP-based so if it is an issue with a Juniper ERX and a Lucent switch, this test will bypass it. If it shows poor results, a link is definitely congested past the DSLAM and edge router (but from edge router to backbone router may be congested). Java is needed.

»www.ispgeeks.com/wild/mo ··· cityTest

If it proves to be a congestion issue, best of luck on getting it resolved.
chutzler
join:2010-08-14
Martinsburg, WV

chutzler

Here's the test result from that site. Thanks again for your insight into this.

»174.34.146.20/myspeed/db ··· d=189857

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Rather interesting results you got there, but definitely not something I've seen as normal for a DSL connection. You're getting the full amount of bandwidth coming into your line when UDP packets are used at least, though what I find off is how bumping the size up to a rate higher than your connection could sustain threw it off. Here's a test from my 1Mbps Verizon line to compare.

»174.34.146.20/myspeed/db ··· d=189889

Here's a test from a Verizon Business connection that should be at 1.5Mbps, but is only running slightly above 1Mbps due to that "optimization" nonsense. I ran this over a VNC connection so the results are slightly skewed.

»174.34.146.20/myspeed/db ··· d=189902

For now until we find out what is going on, I would have to leave it with congestion at the moment.