Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JCO65

Re: Any updates?- Comcast of Ocean County, NJ

ok? so that includes Ocean County as well since we get both the Philly channels and NYC channels for local news, though only the NYC ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, FOX, and UPN are sent in HD on the digital channels, where as the Philly channels are digital, marked as HD by every device, Comcast, and channel guide, but aren't actually transmitted in HD.

JCO65

join:2010-01-15
Brick, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit

That is correct, although in Ocean County the digital Philly network channels are NOT listed as HD[Unlike TR]. The reverse takes place in Mercer County, where the Philly networks channels are in the HD slots, while the NY network channels were not. Mercer County is actually part of the Philly DMA[or ADI]

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

ah ok so I'm not crazy, because I called Comcast a few days ago, and the tech was very insistant that those channels ARE in HD, that 480i is HD, and that I'm recieving it in HD. When I told him that I've never recieved anything in HD on that channel, he muttered something and hung up.
Whats irritating is that every online guide, TiVo, Moxi, and DVR mark those Philly channels as HD.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

480i is HD?? In the words of a famous comedian, "Obviously that tech is definitely on drugs".

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Yeah, it was like 6am in the morning, and I didn't want to chew him out and wake people up, and I just hung up. I called immediately back up, got another tech, but was told the same thing. What the hell are they teaching these people..

JCO65

Brick, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf

The Brick area residents started to receive the DTA notices today, with an effective date of 10/12/2010 for DTA's being available for those with limited basic service. The first step towards World of More has now happened. More to come to meet the March 2011 target date for CC/Ocean County.

TRHD

@comcast.net
reply to Maffew

Received the DTA postcard today in TR also. 10/12 was the date on card

CarlinNJ

@comcast.net

I received the DTA postcard in the mail yesterday. I'm located in Brick. Can't wait for things to finally get rolling.

pjsbar

@dix.army.mil

So I assume these are Cisco Brand DTA's?

JCO65

Brick, NJ

As Felix Unger said back in the day, "One must never ASSUME........"

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Maffew

did anyone pick up their dta yet? Just wondering cause I want you guys to get your hd channels.

NJChris2010

join:2010-10-17
Brick, NJ
reply to JCO65

March 2011? That seems like a long time away. Will we at least receive the new guide before then?

JCO65

Brick, NJ

Could not say for sure if the new guide will be out before the new year. I will predict that it will be out before WOM comes out.

JCO65

Brick, NJ
reply to pjsbar

As described by jjefferson3 in another thread, it will be a uDTA, which work on both Motorola and Cisco areas. They will be available in the Jersey Shore systems in November[no set date in November told to me yet].

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
reply to Maffew

Well, if nothing else, I hope we begin to receive all of the Philadelphia locals in HD once they free up the space. At the very least, WTXF (for Eagles games) and WPVI (the highest-rated newscast) should be carried in HD. There's no more excuses after reclamation.

I do not believe I've gotten a notice yet. I have two houses in Ocean County (one in Pt. Pleasant, one in Surf City) and one is on the Ocean County system and one is on the Toms River/LBI system. The whole thing is very convoluted here - houses blocks apart have different channel lineups and such. But I'm hopeful that they get their act squared away.

Fill me in: Once they do the reclamation and begin requiring DTAs, will ANY analog channels be available? I do have one kitchen TV remaining with no converter. Everything else is HD and already has SA boxes anyway, so I only have that one TV to worry about.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

Hate to tell you, TD, but I do not think Comcast will do that. In Mercer County, where they have both NY and Philly local channels, they only have the Philly channels in HD[No NY channels in HD except for WNET]. They are in the same slots as those systems who have the NY channels in HD. Since Ocean County is part of the NY ADI, we will get the NY channels in HD. BTW, many Eagles games have been on Fox NY in HD[I know, not all though]

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to TurboDan

It depends on the agreement comcast has with the station. Here we get all wheeling locals in HD but the fox station out of pittsburgh requested to be dropped when the wheeling fox station went online. On the other hand the pittsburgh cbs and abc stations didn't care and continue to be offered in HD even though we have an cbs and abc station out of wheeling in HD.
The pittsburgh NBC station asked to have its hd channel removed because the company also owns the steubenville hd channel.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

All the major networks own the local channels in both markets here, Mike. If Comcast is serious about making a uniform channel lineup throughout the country like Dish and DirecTV then they will only allow one local broadcast affiliate to bge broadcast in HD

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ

said by JCO65:

All the major networks own the local channels in both markets here, Mike. If Comcast is serious about making a uniform channel lineup throughout the country like Dish and DirecTV then they will only allow one local broadcast affiliate to bge broadcast in HD
True. Since they're all O&Os there's really no contractual roadblock. Mercer County on FiOS has both the NYC and PHL locals in HD. And FiOS in Ocean County has begun adding a couple PHL HD feeds as well. It's just a matter of the willingness to do so.

It makes no sense, if the bandwidth issue was gone, why this wouldn't happen.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

As of now, FIOS is still giving Brick and Point Pleasant townships the Wall Township lineup which does not include any Philly channels in SD or HD in their offerings. But as long as FIOS continues to stall in their expansion on Ocean County, they will NEVER make a dent into Comcast's dmination of this market

trapper

@comcast.net
reply to Maffew

I have not seen word of a trap project for your area yet. When I see it go out for bid I will let you know.

NJChris2010

Brick, NJ

1 edit

This morning, a family member brought to my attention that the following analog channels just have a blank screen:

32- The Weather Channel
41- TLC
48- A&E

They still come in fine through a STB. Anybody else on this system noticing this?

Update: It's been resolved.

NJChris2010

Brick, NJ

2 edits

I saw a commercial this morning stating that "soon Comcast will be bringing you Xfinity service" and that this "network enhancement" will bring us "20,000 On Demand titles", "Smarter Home Phone Features", "the fastest Internet", "Over 100 HD channels" and "Thousands of HD Choices".

The commercial also had this website listed and the following phone number: 1-877-634-4434

At least the word is getting out.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

Saw the same ad over the weekend. Notice they won't tell us exactly when, though at the Customer service offices.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

1 edit
reply to Maffew

Okay, let me get this straight...Customers in Ocean and Monmouth County systems get the DTA notices at about the same time that those in the Garden State system get[last month]. Customers in Monomuth and Ocean County are told that the DTA's are not available, but are readily available in the Cherry Hill, Garden State area. Now after being told by Comcast reps that the Jersey Shore will be the next systems upgraded after the Jersey City system, there has been NO further information given about our areas, but Comcast goes full board with the analog reclaim in Garden State begining November 30th. Throw in the delay in the Guide situation, looks like the Jersey Shore gets the shaft from Comcast again .

NJChris2010

Brick, NJ

Anything new to report? Have the DTA's become available yet? What about the guide update? I've also received a postcard in the mail about some HSN "shop by remote" service, but that's obviously not available yet. Not that I would use it of course.

We're way behind down here.

JCO65

Brick, NJ

Well, the only thing that I can tell you is that DTA's will be available to businesses who need basic service [Work offices, fitness centers, etc.] in Monmouth, Ocean, Toms River, and LBI effective December 1st. Comcast sent postcards out to those business owners Wednesday in the mail.[Nothing juicy, I know]

As for the new guide, there has been a delay due to Comcast having to work out some kinks in the Cisco guide system. Those areas that were supposed to go online with the new guide in November were pushed back, so [guess what??] we are all pushed back until 2011 with the guide I am afraid to say.

Way behind is now a TOTAL UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ

said by JCO65:

Well, the only thing that I can tell you is that DTA's will be available to businesses who need basic service [Work offices, fitness centers, etc.] in Monmouth, Ocean, Toms River, and LBI effective December 1st. Comcast sent postcards out to those business owners Wednesday in the mail.[Nothing juicy, I know]

As for the new guide, there has been a delay due to Comcast having to work out some kinks in the Cisco guide system. Those areas that were supposed to go online with the new guide in November were pushed back, so [guess what??] we are all pushed back until 2011 with the guide I am afraid to say.

Way behind is now a TOTAL UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!

Just excellent. A year ago we were hearing the excuse that there would be no DTAs available because we're a resort area and there wouldn't be enough for the seasonal accounts. Our "resort area" has two towns that have almost 100,000 year-round residents (Brick and TR) and some of the fastest growing municipalities in the entire state like Barnegat, Stafford and Lacey. It's apparent that Comcast thinks we all leave during the winter, or something, I guess. Absolutely senseless.

If only Verizon would have laid lines on my block, but evidently they're MIA too.

And while we're at it... can we FINALLY get one unified channel lineup in Ocean County? It's absolutely ridiculous that the TR/LBI half and the "Ocean County" half have different lineups (granted, the majority of digital is the same). Also, let's consider remapping the Philadelphia affiliates back to their actual channel numbers after reclamation. I understand the reasoning behind moving these channels to digital, but I hope they don't let this thing languish after reclamation. And HD on these channels would be nice too.

JCO65

Brick, NJ
reply to Maffew

Went to Ocean County office today. Was told that DTA's WILL be available by the end of this week. OK, a small sign of progress.

NJChris2010

Brick, NJ

Good to hear.