share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to JCO65

Re: Any updates?- Comcast of Ocean County, NJ

Is there a date yet for when the software patch will be sent out in Monmouth county?

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

I'm still waiting for the patch for my area. It was suppose to be rolled out on the 29th of November.

JCO65

join:2010-01-15
Brick, NJ
kudos:1
reply to telcodad

My crystal ball tells me that the patch will be distributed throughout Monmouth and Ocean Counties next week. They had to finish the South Jersey SA/Cisco systems first this week.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm still waiting for the patch for my area. It was suppose to be rolled out on the 29th of November.

How did you get that info about the 29th? From what I have heard, I think JCO65 has the right info.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

Looks like Russ has the new info for monmouth and ocean counties that matches JCO65's crystal ball.

»[STB] Deployment of Software Patch for SA/Cisco S25 Guide

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

For some reason, the first line of that blog post (that includes the date) that Russ quoted from, was not included in his post:

"Customers in central and northern New Jersey and parts of Virginia are scheduled to start getting the referenced guide software patch the week of December 5th."

So yes, as JCO65 said, we should get the patch sometime next week.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to The Q

I asked an executive agent when he called me about a seperate issue and he said my area was scheduled for the 29th. I then relayed that to Ted's blog and he confirmed it in an email.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

Just checked my Cisco RNG100 and RNG150 STBs and they now show "S/W Ver.: S25p3.1109.r-27" so the patch must have been sent out here in Monmouth county.

JC77

@comcast.net

Was there an update in the Toms River, NJ, system?

All my scheduled DVR recordings changed from the channel I programmed them for (say, ch 807), to the old channel number (ch 231).

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

yes the patch hit the Toms River system today around 4am. I was just mentioning a glitch I experienced in the patch thread.
»Re: [STB] Deployment of Software Patch for SA/Cisco S25 Guide

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

With all the channel changes/additions that have occurred this year in the Ocean and Monmouth County systems, does anyone know what might be on tap for us now for 2012?

There are 8 analog channels still active on the Monmouth system right now (all displaying the "you now need a DTA" screen), so there is still room for many more digital channels.

Floppy

join:2002-07-03

As much as people dislike it, SDV will be revisited but I seriously doubt it'll deployed before 2013.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

Oh I hope not, the last thing we had heard about SDV is that Comcast had put any further deployments of that on hold:

Comcast Back-Burners SDV (Again)
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Floppy

I highly doubt that Comcast would seriously risk mobs of customers with pitchforks and torches coming down to their Philadelphia headquarters. If you thought the riots after sports teams lose are bad, just wait lol

Floppy

Pitchforks and torches? While don't you come back to the 21st Century. Less then 1% of their customer's knows what SDV is about. In theory SDV isn't a bad idea however it is crucial for the bandwidth to be managed efficiently.

And for those who despise additional adapters with Moxi's/Tivo's: don't bother to subscribe to those channels on SDV.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

said by Floppy:

don't bother to subscribe to those channels on SDV.

Kinda going to be a problem if the majority of the channels you are used to watching in the past suddenly become SDV channels, or the only channels you want to watch end up becoming SDV channels. There are other options to achieve the same results such as increasing the frequency range to 1+ Ghz

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast
reply to Floppy

said by Floppy:

Pitchforks and torches? While don't you come back to the 21st Century. Less then 1% of their customer's knows what SDV is about. In theory SDV isn't a bad idea however it is crucial for the bandwidth to be managed efficiently.

And for those who despise additional adapters with Moxi's/Tivo's: don't bother to subscribe to those channels on SDV.

SDV is a gimmick used when a company doesn't want to properly invest in it's infrastructure and bandwidth. SDV keeps getting thrown to the back burner because Comcast has been smart enough to invest in keeping it's network infrastructure fully up to date and advanced. You'll see SDV from companies like AT&T who do everything on the cheap.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

As reported in the »[DTA] TCM Moved from Dig. Starter to Dig. Premium thread, Comcast has moved the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) channel from the Digital Starter tier to the Digital Preferred tier in many areas recently. This means it can no longer be received by DTAs.

Does anyone know when this change will occur for us in the Ocean/Monmouth systems?

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to actor90

do you think att broadband would have invested in its' infrastructure or just did sdv by now?

Floppy

said by mikedz4:

do you think att broadband would have invested in its' infrastructure or just did sdv by now?

Invested? Yeah right

As apart of the merger Comcast took on more than $24 billion worth of debt from AT&T and its subsidiaries.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

With all the channel changes/additions that have occurred this year in the Ocean and Monmouth County systems, does anyone know what might be on tap for us now for 2012?

There are 8 analog channels still active on the Monmouth system right now (all displaying the "you now need a DTA" screen), so there is still room for many more digital channels.

Wish we could just get the Philly locals in HD in Ocean County, at least. It's absolutely ridiculous that carrying the SD version has been no problem for 30 years but carrying the HD version of the exact same channel is some kind of insurmountable task, apparently.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

It's up to the stations if they want to be in hd in your area. Email them and ask why they aren't in hd in your area.

JCO65

join:2010-01-15
Brick, NJ
kudos:1
reply to telcodad

Apparently Comcast is unveiling a 3D PPV channel[Channel 982]. First event is going to be a 3D broasdcast of UFC 143 on 2/4.

mets18

join:2008-10-15
New York, NY
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

It's up to the stations if they want to be in hd in your area. Email them and ask why they aren't in hd in your area.

Actually in this case it is not up to the stations. The Ocean County area is deemed to be part of the NYC DMA so Comcast doesn't have to show the Philly locals in HD if they don't want to. They already show all the NYC locals in HD.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I'm part of the wheeling/steubenville dma but also recieve the pittsburgh stations. When my local cbs offered fox and abc as sub channels comcast asked the pittsburgh stations if they still wanted to be carried in my area.
The abc station permitted BOTH their SD and HD channels to be carried.
The fox station asked to be removed because they didn't like to compete.
The pittsburgh CBS is carried in both SD and HD even after the local CBS went HD.
The Pittsburgh NBC is only SD but I think that is because the same company (cox media) owns both the local nbc and pittsburgh NBC.

mets18

New York, NY

said by mikedz4:

I'm part of the wheeling/steubenville dma but also recieve the pittsburgh stations. When my local cbs offered fox and abc as sub channels comcast asked the pittsburgh stations if they still wanted to be carried in my area.
The abc station permitted BOTH their SD and HD channels to be carried.
The fox station asked to be removed because they didn't like to compete.
The pittsburgh CBS is carried in both SD and HD even after the local CBS went HD.
The Pittsburgh NBC is only SD but I think that is because the same company (cox media) owns both the local nbc and pittsburgh NBC.

Right but again it was comcast that asked the pittsburgh stations if they wanted to be carried. In this case comcast is not asking the philly stations if they want to be carried in both sd and hd. They would rather allocate the hd bandwidth to other channels.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to JCO65

Yeah strangely enough when I read your post I tuned to it and I'm able to see the side by side image, which I haven't been able to do with the ESPN3D and Xfinity3D channels, and still unable to do.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to mets18

how do YOU know they DID NOT ask? I would email the station directly and ask why they aren't in HD in your area.

mets18

New York, NY

1 edit

said by mikedz4:

how do YOU know they DID NOT ask? I would email the station directly and ask why they aren't in HD in your area.

Obviously they would like to be carried in HD.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to mikedz4

Here in Toms River I asked Comcast why we dont get the Philly local stations in HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW) I was told we did and they gave me the channel numbers to the SD channels. Comcast can be incompotent at times. And it was from the Monmouth call center or something.