Search similar:

uniqs
bigpapae35
join:2002-10-25
New York, NY

2 edits

bigpapae35

New fios remote control

I just received the new fios remote control manufactured on 5/2010, and I am not sure what I think yet, they removed the the dvd and aux button on top, the actual remote is exact same dimensions layout is 95% the same, but they slightly moved buttons up or down less than 1/10th".

Buttons feel better, stb takes commands better than previous one, additionally the number five button stays lit up after any entry so you can see where the center of the keypad is.

I will take a picture of it today.

Programming is a little different, for instance big brands like sony and samsung only have one code now, and you have to go up or down on ch+ or ch- to get your sony model.
blk_al_bundy
join:2009-08-26
Richmond, VA

2 edits

blk_al_bundy

yea i like the old one better than this new one....but i do you suppose to switch the tv option without turning the tv off?
bigpapae35
New York, NY

bigpapae35

said by blk_al_bundy:

yea i like the old one better than this new one....but i do you suppose to switch the tv option without turning the tv off?
i programed it so tv and stb turn on and off at same time
blk_al_bundy
Richmond, VA

blk_al_bundy

what about switching da input on da tv?

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by blk_al_bundy:

The old remote does that. After pressing TV at the lower left is a button labeled A/V (input - under button). At least on my Sharp Aquos it changes the input source in single steps through the TV's menu rotation.
Expand your moderator at work
keyboards

keyboards to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35

Re: New fios remote control

So, based on the picture I can't control my AVR or DVD? I'll have to hope that my old remote doesn't die or spend a bundle on a good universal remote.

So much for providing a "universal" remote (admittedly limited universality, but still able to control at least 4 devices).
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

2 edits

jimboe to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35
Sounds like they rm'd functionality- not good.

blk_al_bundy
Richmond, VA

blk_al_bundy

yea ill continue and use the old one
bigpapae35
New York, NY

bigpapae35 to blk_al_bundy

to blk_al_bundy
said by blk_al_bundy:

it still does tv imput switching from remote
blk_al_bundy
Richmond, VA

blk_al_bundy

yea i know but when i want to move up and down with the arrows on the new one it dosent move...must be my tv brand..whats with the 5 lighting up?center of keypad??really lol
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

helps to locate your fingers in the keypad in the dark probably..

..that's always been an issue for me..
bigpapae35
New York, NY

bigpapae35 to blk_al_bundy

to blk_al_bundy
said by blk_al_bundy:

yea i know but when i want to move up and down with the arrows on the new one it dosent move...must be my tv brand..whats with the 5 lighting up?center of keypad??really lol
they should have just lit up the whole keypad, but i think they are trying to conserve on leds in remote or battery life
blk_al_bundy
Richmond, VA

blk_al_bundy

tru i still luv my fios

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35
Well, that blows! I use the FiOS remote to control the volume on my AVR plus the limited functionality it has w/ my DVD. Why the devil they had to "improve" the remote is beyond me. That's right up there with "improving" their packages by taking channels away...

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Rattler:

That's right up there with "improving" their packages by taking channels away...
Taking buttons away...
Taking channels away...

I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.
What's next? Bandwidth?
bigpapae35
New York, NY

bigpapae35

The weird thing is that I had fios installed in a new location yesterday and I got the old style remote, the new rev f actiontec which is soon to be outdated by the newer g revision.

But I ordered this replacement remote for my parents last week, and I got this newer revision of the remote. So the installers might have stock of the older remote for a year before this new one gets send out to the installers.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to bigpapae35

Premium Member

to bigpapae35
said by bigpapae35:

I just received the new fios remote control manufactured on 5/2010, and I am not sure what I think yet, they removed the the dvd and aux button on top, the actual remote is exact same dimensions layout is 95% the same, but they slightly moved buttons up or down less than 1/10th".

Buttons feel better, stb takes commands better than previous one, additionally the number five button stays lit up after any entry so you can see where the center of the keypad is.

I will take a picture of it today.

Programming is a little different, for instance big brands like sony and samsung only have one code now, and you have to go up or down on ch+ or ch- to get your sony model.
I got my new remotes a week ago after moving back to California and thank god I got all the old style remotes as I control the volume on my Pioneer AV system. I can't even imagine if I had to use the STB for the volume.

IMHO dump this new crap and go old school. It works well.

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35
In Home Agent, in the remote order section, has an explination at the bottom that you can still order (@ extra cost) the full function, multi device remote at extra cost.
The free replacements, & possibly new installs, will get this "regular basic" version ....

SqueeksDad
I Miss Her
Premium Member
join:2002-09-14
Hyattsville, MD

SqueeksDad

Premium Member

said by MeatChicken:

In Home Agent, in the remote order section, has an explination at the bottom that you can still order (@ extra cost) the full function, multi device remote at extra cost.
The free replacements, & possibly new installs, will get this "regular basic" version ....
This actually makes good sense. I know that in my house I only need one full function remote. The other sets are just TV's with a box. Assuming Verizon pays less for the basic remote, they are saving some bucks.
blk_al_bundy
Richmond, VA

blk_al_bundy

and on da new remotes on da back it shows u how to set your tv to it now easy!

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35
Oh come on, they removed the DVD function? WTF? I use that. Seriously, I may have to go back to Comcast. Verizon simply cannot do anything right anymore.

shmee
join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA

shmee to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35
wait a minute, is it possible to program the old remote to turn off the tv and stb separately? it bugs the crap out of me that if i want to watch a bluray or play some wii or whatever, and i've been watching fios, i have to get up and hit the power button on the stb because my remote always turns off both.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

1 edit

matcarl

Premium Member

Yes it can turn the TV on and off separate from the STB, check the instructions.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Greg2600

Premium Member

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Oh come on, they removed the DVD function? WTF? I use that. Seriously, I may have to go back to Comcast. Verizon simply cannot do anything right anymore.
DVD? They need a BD button to be current. I stopped watching DVDs in 2005.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to shmee

to shmee
Its possible to program them separately.

Or you could use this workaround that I use:

1. Hit menu button that turns on the STB if its off.
2. Hit power button, that sends a toggle on/off, which turns on the TV and will turn off the STB

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by Greg2600:

DVD? They need a BD button to be current. I stopped watching DVDs in 2005.
The format is irrelevant, it's the fact people have a separate device to play "video" discs, and they went and took it away.
blk_al_bundy
Richmond, VA

blk_al_bundy to Greg2600

to Greg2600
im sure comcast will welcome u

fiostv
@verizon.net

fiostv to bigpapae35

Anon

to bigpapae35
i am glad they took off the other buttons.
johnmax
join:2009-04-11
Islip Terrace, NY

johnmax

said by fiostv :

i am glad they took off the other buttons.
Why would you be glad?? If you dont like them dont use them. They are not in the way of anything...

Some of us like them and need them.