join:2002-04-22
Johnson City, TN

Chillin to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ

Re: almost nobody hitting a 250gb cap is doing ONLY legal activi

said by JohnInSJ:

I'm not sure why we're on this tangent, but if I can summarize, the positions

Chillin's position is that most|nearly all folks using more than 250GB/mo are involved in illegal activities.

My position (odd, given that I am on business class, and even without cap I generally don't go over 250GB) is that it's not at all difficult to do so legally.

So, yeah, while its easy to imagine how you can blow hundreds of gigs doing illegal things, its equally easy to imagine someone enthusiastically using free and/or paid services that consume massive amounts of bandwidth.
Normal use for most people, even a family of 4+ would be hard to hit 250gb.

Someone with no life watching 10hrs a day of netflix may be able to do it I am sure. Either way I never said it wasn't possible, clearly is. I said most people hitting that cap are doing it illegally, you know it and I know it. He is trying to debate as if that isn't the truth. Im sure there are a percent of those doing it leggally and thats great, however there is a cap. They will need to learn to live with it or upgrade like you did.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

1 recommendation

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by Chillin:

said by JohnInSJ:

Chillin's position is that most|nearly all folks using more than 250GB/mo are involved in illegal activities.

My position (odd, given that I am on business class, and even without cap I generally don't go over 250GB) is that it's not at all difficult to do so legally.

So, yeah, while its easy to imagine how you can blow hundreds of gigs doing illegal things, its equally easy to imagine someone enthusiastically using free and/or paid services that consume massive amounts of bandwidth.
Again, citation needed.

Counter evidence has been provided in this thread.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

said by JohnInSJ:

Again, citation needed.

Counter evidence has been provided in this thread.
Most people wouldn't consider 10hrs of video streaming a day normal.

So while im sure you can find people that do that, that doesn't make it normal. Comcast has already told you normal would be about 99% of their users, that use less than the cap. Thats what normal is, if thats a issue for you, upgrade.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

2 edits

baineschile to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
The evidence is, that there is no evidence. Aside from this website, and a blurb 6 months ago when Comcast announced it, you arent hearing an uproar from the Comcast Internet community where people are getting booted left and right (please note, that I already said ASIDE FROM THIS SITE) for over usage. I am a member of this website, have a general interest in broadband, and use my connection every day. Hulu, online gaming, the occasional torrent (legal, of course), and have NEVER hit above 100gb.

You want hard proof? Gimme a few days, and I will post mine, parents, grand parents, and a few friends of mine who are all CC customers, and I will wager to say that I will be around 50-80 gigs, and the rest will all be UNDER 10 gigs.

That being said, what the point of the arguement is, there are legitimate ways to hit above 250gb. If you are doing this LEGALLY, you are likely using a lot of online video, thus competing with CCs main line of revenue. Nothing wrong with a business protecting its assets.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin

Premium Member

said by baineschile:

The evidence is, that there is no evidence. Aside from this website, and a blurb 6 months ago when Comcast announced it, you arent hearing an uproar from the Comcast Internet community where people are getting booted left and right (please note, that I already said ASIDE FROM THIS SITE) for over usage. I am a member of this website, have a general interest in broadband, and use my connection every day. Hulu, online gaming, the occasional torrent (legal, of course), and have NEVER hit above 100gb.

You want hard proof? Gimme a few days, and I will post mine, parents, grand parents, and a few friends of mine who are all CC customers, and I will wager to say that I will be around 50-80 gigs, and the rest will all be UNDER 10 gigs.

That being said, what the point of the arguement is, there are legitimate ways to hit above 250gb. If you are doing this LEGALLY, you are likely using a lot of online video, thus competing with CCs main line of revenue. Nothing wrong with a business protecting its assets.
He doesn't understand it.

Well said though.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Chillin

Premium Member

to Chillin
said by Chillin:

HD video streaming... not 10 hours a day. Even Netflix's anemic "HD" of 3600-4500kbps only gives you about 160 hours total of HD streaming a month. Now you're looking at 5 hours a day. If you are using a *real* HD service (Vudu, which sends you BlueRay 25GB/movie downloads with DRM, to their STB) you are talking 10 Movies a month. Or 25 hours of HDTV content.

Now its looking quite easy to do.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to Chillin

Premium Member

to Chillin
said by Chillin:

So while im sure you can find people that do that, that doesn't make it normal. Comcast has already told you normal would be about 99% of their users, that use less than the cap....
I'm from Canada, where we have much stupider caps than 250GB/month (most of us would be overjoyed to have THAT), and even notwithstanding that point, might we speculate just for a moment what the OTHER 99% of Comcast subscribers are doing with THEIR accounts ?

It's very likely that a high percentage of them are participating in the 'frowned upon' activities at least SOME of the time (no proof, but, it stands to reason).

And I'm not passing any judgement upon whether that would be considered 'normal', nor whether it makes any difference to me on a personal level.

I'm just saying that how many GB you transfer per month, and what you do to cause that to happen, are not as related as some peeps seem to believe, and we have the same discussion in Canada about "What could he/she POSSIBLY be doing to generate THAT much traffic ?".

It's becoming easier and easier to move that many GB each year (just keep watching some of the HQ streams, for example), and the incumbent ISP companies in Canada are lately lowering the monthly caps like crazy in order to milk the cash cow.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by Chillin:

So while im sure you can find people that do that, that doesn't make it normal. Comcast has already told you normal would be about 99% of their users, that use less than the cap....
I'm from Canada, where we have much stupider caps than 250GB/month (most of us would be overjoyed to have THAT), and even notwithstanding that point, might we speculate just for a moment what the OTHER 99% of Comcast subscribers are doing with THEIR accounts ?

It's very likely that a high percentage of them are participating in the 'frowned upon' activities at least SOME of the time (no proof, but, it stands to reason).

And I'm not passing any judgement upon whether that would be considered 'normal', nor whether it makes any difference to me on a personal level.

I'm just saying that how many GB you transfer per month, and what you do to cause that to happen, are not as related as some peeps seem to believe, and we have the same discussion in Canada about "What could he/she POSSIBLY be doing to generate THAT much traffic ?".

It's becoming easier and easier to move that many GB each year (just keep watching some of the HQ streams, for example), and the incumbent ISP companies in Canada are lately lowering the monthly caps like crazy in order to milk the cash cow.
No doubt about it that people using less than 250gb could be and many likely are using it to download illegal things like music/movies/etc.

I guess those people are able to restrain themselves to stay off the big radar at Comcast.

I still personally feel 250gb is a fair amount and there are far worst providers with lower caps and much slower service.

At the end of the day people will bitch to bitch. I am sure the caps will grow as "normal" use goes up drastically.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ

(topic move) Want more than a 250G limit allows, get business cl

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Want more than a 250G limit allows, get business class

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

1 edit

Alcohol to Chillin

Premium Member

to Chillin

Re: almost nobody hitting a 250gb cap is doing ONLY legal activi

said by Chillin:

So while im sure you can find people that do that, that doesn't make it normal. Comcast has already told you normal would be about 99% of their users, that use less than the cap. Thats what normal is, if thats a issue for you, upgrade.
Comcast has NOT given us any research on how many of those 1% reach the cap legally or illegaly.

I don't know why you keep confusing the 1% with the legal vs illegal numbers (which there is no research done for). It's not that hard to understand.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

Comcast has NOT given us any research on how many of those 1% reach the cap legally or illegaly.

I don't know why you keep confusing the 1% with the legal vs illegal numbers (which there is no research done for). It's not that hard to understand.
That doesn't change my point, most people wouldn't consider 10hrs of video streaming normal, today. Clearly neither does Comcast at this point. I am sure that will change in the future.

Until its normal that people are blowing through the cap (1% is not normal), then Comcast has no reason to raise the cap. They are not in business to please that top 1%.

The fact its illegal or not isn't really important. But its safe to say more people than not blowing that cap are doing something illegal, you know it and I know it. Im sure there are people that aren't, there are always exceptions.
ingenioustm2
join:2007-03-07
Acushnet, MA

ingenioustm2

get a router .. log onto someone elses unsecured network and voila no cap issue

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Chillin

Premium Member

to Chillin
said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

That doesn't change my point, most people wouldn't consider 10hrs of video streaming normal, today. Clearly neither does Comcast at this point. I am sure that will change in the future.

Until its normal that people are blowing through the cap (1% is not normal), then Comcast has no reason to raise the cap. They are not in business to please that top 1%.

The fact its illegal or not isn't really important. But its safe to say more people than not blowing that cap are doing something illegal, you know it and I know it. Im sure there are people that aren't, there are always exceptions.
Do you read the replies people post to your post?
»Re: almost nobody hitting a 250gb cap is doing ONLY legal activi

You keep saying 10 hours of video streaming, where exactly are you getting that from?

Again you assume i'm arguing about the 1% when i've clearly stated over and over again i'm not.

You're the one who brought the whole legal vs illegal argument, if you don't think it's important why did you say it?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to ingenioustm2

Premium Member

to ingenioustm2
said by ingenioustm2:

get a router .. log onto someone elses unsecured network and voila no cap issue
That may be easier said than done. I have found that many people these days are savvy to securing their wireless. Are you advocating leeching on others bandwidth... Shame shame...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to Chillin

MVM

to Chillin
said by Chillin:

For some values of, "normal".
Someone with no life watching 10hrs a day of netflix may be able to do it I am sure.
Four people (family of four, right?) could easily hit the cap; probably just five hours a day.
Either way I never said it wasn't possible, clearly is. I said most people hitting that cap are doing it illegally, you know it and I know it.
You don't know it any more than the deputy sheriff responding to a bank robbery knows that the fellow running from the bank with the money bag is the robber.
He is trying to debate as if that isn't the truth. Im sure there are a percent of those doing it leggally and thats great, however there is a cap. They will need to learn to live with it or upgrade like you did.
There is, indeed, a cap to the service. And the Comcast user must, indeed, learn to live within the cap. However, anything else is just a WAG. I haven't tested how much I can download in a month from DirecTV VoD; but I assume it is a bucketload; and all legal.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
552.8 23.8

joetaxpayer

said by NormanS:

said by Chillin:

Someone with no life watching 10hrs a day of netflix may be able to do it I am sure.
Four people (family of four, right?) could easily hit the cap; probably just five hours a day.
Right, higher quality legit video, 125hrs/mo and nothing else. Is 4hrs per day among 4-5 people anything but below average? One kid with friends on a sleepover can blow through 6hrs. That's the whole family allotment.

I suspect that as NetFlix adds more content providers and increases quality, you'll see the NF family usage creep up to a level that gets Comcast's attention. If they start shutting NF customers, there will be legal issues, I'm sure. (I mean that figuratively. I'm not sure of anything)

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

You keep saying 10 hours of video streaming, where exactly are you getting that from?

Again you assume i'm arguing about the 1% when i've clearly stated over and over again i'm not.

You're the one who brought the whole legal vs illegal argument, if you don't think it's important why did you say it?
10hrs could be lower compressed movies, its just a rough combo. Not everyone streams the most high quality movie. benefit of the doubt type number.

Even at 5 hours, seriously if you watch 5hrs of movies a day everyday, that seems less than normal to most people.
Chillin

Chillin to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
Most families try not to spend 5hrs a day in front of Netflix, I could see it a couple times a week. But everyday, be it 5hrs or 10hrs I would call that excessive. Thats my opinion, clearly 99% of comcast users do not use Netflix like that, so it must not be "normal".

You are right I dont know what % of people steal things on the internet. Next you will tell me iPods are popular because people buy all their music. Right? Lets not be extreme either direction, we all know a good % of people steal at least music, movies are starting to get popular to steal as well.

Yup bottom line, everyone here bought Comcast and was or is now aware of the cap. So live with it or move on to another subscriber. What is "normal use" will always be what the masses are doing, and currently thats under 250gb for 99% of their users. I am sure as usage for the majority climbs near or past 250gb that the cap will raise, but then the top 1% will be crying about that next level cap, say 500gb or 1tb.

The obvious is Comcast isn't in the business to please the top 1%.

For me the solution seems so simple, upgrade. No more cap. I personally think people are bitching to bitch.
Chillin

Chillin to joetaxpayer

Premium Member

to joetaxpayer
said by joetaxpayer:

Right, higher quality legit video, 125hrs/mo and nothing else. Is 4hrs per day among 4-5 people anything but below average? One kid with friends on a sleepover can blow through 6hrs. That's the whole family allotment.

I suspect that as NetFlix adds more content providers and increases quality, you'll see the NF family usage creep up to a level that gets Comcast's attention. If they start shutting NF customers, there will be legal issues, I'm sure. (I mean that figuratively. I'm not sure of anything)
Im sure Comcast will be forced to up the cap at some point, be it because of Netflix or other services like that. But they certainly don't have to, 250gb is still a lot for 99% of their customers. It may be awhile before that amount is a problem for their bread and butter customers.

People should be thankful for a option to goto a uncapped service. Many providers do not have such a option.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Chillin

Premium Member

to Chillin
said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

10hrs could be lower compressed movies, its just a rough combo. Not everyone streams the most high quality movie. benefit of the doubt type number.

Even at 5 hours, seriously if you watch 5hrs of movies a day everyday, that seems less than normal to most people.
You do realize people do more than just streaming netflix on their connections, right?

And we're not talking about 1 person using the connection all day. Most of us live with our families who are all interconnected to the broadband connection.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

said by Chillin:

said by Alcohol:

You do realize people do more than just streaming netflix on their connections, right?

And we're not talking about 1 person using the connection all day. Most of us live with our families who are all interconnected to the broadband connection.
Yup and most families are able to stay well under 250gb. You do realize that right?

At one point I lived with family of 6, 8-10 computers, netflix, xbox, ps3, 4 smart phones on the wifi, apple tv, and im sure im forgeting something. We never hit the cap. We had a wicked fast connection with Comcast as well. Philly market was very quick with Verizon in the back yard competiting. I would see 70mb down with the speed boost.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

1 recommendation

Alcohol

Premium Member

Wow, you really don't get the argument here.

I'm done here, this is as frustrating as trying to argue with a wall.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

Wow, you really don't get the argument here.

Yes its hard to understand why you are bitching given the following:

1. Fact, Comcast is a capped service.
2. Comcast offers uncapped service for those that are unable to control themselves or use more data than 99% of the other customers.

The reality is you are being a cheap ass and want to bitch to bitch. Just because you dont like the option, doens't mean there isn't one.

If you are watching 5-10hrs a day of video I dont see how you have the time to argue and troll so much on DSLR.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to Alcohol

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

OK, I'm not sure what the topic title should be at this point, anyway.