uniqs

jakirk
Premium Member
join:2002-07-21
Fort Lauderdale, FL

jakirk

Premium Member

[Speed] 8-18-10 Extreme 50 Low Speeds Fort Lauderdale

I have Extreme 50 service and up till Monday 8/16/10 I was getting 50+ DN and 10+ UP. Since then its been very slow on the download:
»results.speedtest.comcas ··· 9512.png

A friend of mine, not far from Bayview Drive and Oakland Park Blvd has seen the same slow speeds. Looks like a network problem but I wonder if others in this area are seeing abnormally low download speeds for their tier.
ashton_66
join:2007-05-28
Fort Lauderdale, FL

ashton_66

I too have very slow speeds in the same area.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to jakirk

Premium Member

to jakirk
»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!

Need a description of any routers, what OS, etc.

Also, make sure you are running the test bypassing your router if you have one.

jakirk
Premium Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

jakirk

Premium Member

Hi Beach,
A lead tech for the Fort Lauderdale area [from Pompano Beach Comcast Operations] is coming to my house tomorrow. This thread is to see if I can report to him that others in our area are having problems.

I had a similar problem [Low DN Good UP] a few months ago and the Operations Manager in Pompano Beach and I communicated quite frequently on the issue. It turned out to be an area wide network problem which was corrected and speeds went back up to normal-alas it took about 2 weeks. When I had the problem we first tried everything at my house; new eMTA, new router, direct connection to eMTA, new modem [no eMTA]. two different computers [both Win7 64 bit], nothing helped.

Not sure what it is this time but I'll post more details after I meet with the tech and we do testing.
ashton_66
join:2007-05-28
Fort Lauderdale, FL

ashton_66

I usually get high teens down, 4 or so up. I am w7, no router attached for the test (actually same speeds either way). This is an issue that comes up every few months and it is extemely annoying that when it happens and multiple people in the same are have the issue you have to jump through hoops to prove it is not a site specific issue.

Now I am getting 5.5 or so up, normal 3-4 down speeds.
ingenioustm2
join:2007-03-07
Acushnet, MA

ingenioustm2 to jakirk

to jakirk
probably a loose connection behind a tv a half a mile down the street.. causing the entire node to go crrraaazy... its unreal how sensitive things are today

jakirk
Premium Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

jakirk

Premium Member

Tech came this morning and checked signal levels with his digital test meter. They were fine.

He rebooted the modem and it updated new software:
»www.jakirk.com/Arris_702 ··· 2010.png

The Tech attached eMTA directly to one computer, no router, speeds still low on Download. Nothing else he can do. Said its a network problem [we both agreed his trip was procedurally necessary but otherwise not needed]. So, here is where the speeds are now:
»results.speedtest.comcas ··· 0902.png

I have informed the Operations Manager that the problem persists [as did the Tech] so now I can only hope the fix takes place quickly.

As an aside, for my own curiosity, having had a Tech out and having him document my problem, if I stay at low download speeds for 1 week or more should I ask for a credit for cost of the Extreme 50 service?