join:2002-04-22
Johnson City, TN

Chillin to jhaygood86

Premium Member

to jhaygood86

Re: almost nobody hitting a 250gb cap is doing ONLY legal activi

said by jhaygood86:

Depends on your definition of normal.

By "normal", you mean what the vast majority of people do, then no, probably not

By "normal", you mean normal for the group of you know, my usage is quite low. Add on torrents and rapidshare to the group, and I know people who get nearly a terabyte a month (using U-Verse.. which isn't available at my address...)
Comcast would likely say normal is the vast majority of their customers (99%). Sub 250gb.

I wouldn't judge normal on what a few guys on DSLR reports do with their connection by any means.

I think its actually awesome Comcast offers a way to use more than 250gb if you really must. Not all providers offer such a thing and you'd be SOL and sometimes black listed ive heard on other providers. Left with DSL or worse no broadband at all.
jjv124
join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

jjv124

These threads are Fantastic! Ok in all seriousnss everything needs to be quantified in this case, what are you saying is a few? How many of that 1% do we qualify as few? Also are we taking the 250 limit as what is normal useage? And how do we define normal? Are you saying the vast majority on their everyday habits? If that's the case isn't that number more than likely well under 250? I take zero umbridge with those that blow the cap on "illegal downloading" because here's the thing they know they are doing something illegally and are taking their own risks doing so. I take the biggest issue with those who do so illegally and are doing so with the mindset that they are completely at right to do illegal downloading but that's an argument for another day. Of course you can hit the cap legally, you just have to be an incredibly tech savvy user because most customers...and again I'm quantifying most by the "avg" user are not going to run multiple net based apps to do their video and game downloading.
jhaygood86
join:2005-03-01
Hiram, GA

jhaygood86 to Chillin

to Chillin
I kind of wished they had a way to pay for uncapped access (at the same price as Business Class even), but stay on residential bundled service. The problem I have with going to business class was that all of my services will go up in cost (based on the conversation I had with 3 different reps) I currently pay $159.95 for 16/2 internet, Preferred Plus with HBO, Digital Voice Unlimited, and an extra $9.95 for DVR service. Getting Business Class would make my cost go to:

$39.95 for Digital Voice
$5 eMTA Rental
$95.70 for TV
$15.96 for DVR
$99.95 for BC Internet
$5 Modem Rental for BC Internet
Total: $261.56

(Versus Uncapped Total at: $160.90)

That's just crazy. I'd be willing to pay let's say.. an extra $40 for service (placing it at $200.90) -- but not $100

This is with the same level of service, just with uncapped internet. That's over $100 extra! It's actually the same cost just to get a second Business Class line (and thus pay for 2 internet connections!)

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by jhaygood86:

I kind of wished they had a way to pay for uncapped access (at the same price as Business Class even), but stay on residential bundled service.
Agreed. You might actually pay *less* dropping your residential to the lowest speed possible and just ignoring it (or using it for something low bandwidth) to keep the bundle discount and adding the $100 Business class too.
jhaygood86
Hiram, GA

jhaygood86

said by JohnInSJ:

said by jhaygood86:

I kind of wished they had a way to pay for uncapped access (at the same price as Business Class even), but stay on residential bundled service.
Agreed. You might actually pay *less* dropping your residential to the lowest speed possible and just ignoring it (or using it for something low bandwidth) to keep the bundle discount and adding the $100 Business class too.
Tried that. Problem is they have 2 base bundles, and the base bundle I'm on comes with 16/2. The other has 12/2, but I'd have to pay extra for TV and the HD DVR, and it ended up being a higher cost (something like $170ish for 12/2 + same tv and voice plan I have now)

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin to jhaygood86

Premium Member

to jhaygood86
said by jhaygood86:

I kind of wished they had a way to pay for uncapped access (at the same price as Business Class even), but stay on residential bundled service. The problem I have with going to business class was that all of my services will go up in cost (based on the conversation I had with 3 different reps) I currently pay $159.95 for 16/2 internet, Preferred Plus with HBO, Digital Voice Unlimited, and an extra $9.95 for DVR service. Getting Business Class would make my cost go to:

$39.95 for Digital Voice
$5 eMTA Rental
$95.70 for TV
$15.96 for DVR
$99.95 for BC Internet
$5 Modem Rental for BC Internet
Total: $261.56

(Versus Uncapped Total at: $160.90)

That's just crazy. I'd be willing to pay let's say.. an extra $40 for service (placing it at $200.90) -- but not $100

This is with the same level of service, just with uncapped internet. That's over $100 extra! It's actually the same cost just to get a second Business Class line (and thus pay for 2 internet connections!)
The option is there at least. The reality is if you cant/wont pay for uncapped, then you are stuck following the rules. I see nothing wrong with this.
jhaygood86
Hiram, GA

jhaygood86

said by Chillin:

The option is there at least. The reality is if you cant/wont pay for uncapped, then you are stuck following the rules. I see nothing wrong with this.
Except they really don't have an option intended for residential users. They have a business option that requires that you unbundle residential service -- which drastically increases the prices of everything. Like I said, I'd be willing to pay extra for a residential option if I could keep the residential bundle to do it (meaning, cheaper HD DVR, cheaper TV, cheaper voice)

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
Johnson City, TN

Chillin

Premium Member

said by jhaygood86:

said by Chillin:

Except they really don't have an option intended for residential users. They have a business option that requires that you unbundle residential service -- which drastically increases the prices of everything. Like I said, I'd be willing to pay extra for a residential option if I could keep the residential bundle to do it (meaning, cheaper HD DVR, cheaper TV, cheaper voice)
Just because you don't like the option, doesn't mean its not one. You do have the option to have no cap, and of course that will cost you more money. If its not a workable option for you, you still have other options. Cancel service, vote with your dollar, move to dial up, there are no caps on dial up.

They don't want to make it cheap on the %1 of people that cant stay under the cap, they want you to pay for it, and you should.