Search similar:

uniqs
sstackho
join:2004-07-22
Toronto, ON

sstackho

[Internet] Fibe 25 modem outages - can ping, but nothing else wo

Hi there,

I've been running into a strange problem with my Fibe 25 service that I really cannot understand.

On occasion, my internet will drop out for periods of 5-10 minutes. This usually tends to happen during periods of high usage, such as if I am running BitTorrent. I had been running BT (slow speeds (throttled?)) last night, and then it went down when I started to stream video.

When this happens, I cannot access any websites. However, I can successfully ping external sites, which completely confuses me. Web traffic dies completely (sites don't begin to load) and torrents stop.

The only website that will load is my router's admin page, which leads me to believe it is the modem.

Usually the problem will fix itself within 10 minutes, or upon rebooting the modem. I have called Bell tech support once, but once we realized that I could ping successfully, I figured the problem was on my end.

Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this? I never had until I got Fibe 25 a few months ago. I was on regular Sympatico High Speed for years prior to that (with the same router).
Akenin
join:2010-08-09
Toronto, ON

Akenin

Re: [Internet] Fibe 25 modem outages - can ping, but nothing els

I had an old Linksys router that was excellent until I started running some torrents. If I've got to a certain number of torrents, the connection would drop and then after rebooting the router the connection would work again. Try the modem by itself, if it is a model that has modem+router try lowering the number of active torrents uploading and downloading. Of course, it might have nothing to do with my suggestion. I just thought it was worth a shot.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

1 edit

kovy7 to sstackho

to sstackho
I have the same problem... I believe it's the modem, I even tried a new modem... same thing. I don't even torrent and it dies... just randomly once a day or less.

I have more then one PC connected and they all have the same thing... Sometimes I can't even access the Modem interface for a good 60 seconds.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k

I have been to one fibe25 repair that repeated several times. The customer was on his second modem and was still having problems.

Symptoms were lose of internet connectivity when he maxed out his downstream for several minutes. we accomplished this by download a couple of service packs from Microsuck and starting up torrents, etc.

DSL light on modem would stay on. He was running DDWRT and doing the pppoe with his router. We setup the modem to authenitcate the pppoe instead of his router. Same thing happened after we stressed the connection. His line stats were excellent. only 120m between him and the stinger. When the internet died on his computer.. ie transfers quit, I looked at the modem and noticed the DSL and the internet light was out. looked in webcare and webcare showed him as being in sync (yes he was on the correct port). called testboard they confirmed sync. but no dsl light on modem... it just sat there locked up.

I had the tester run a diagnostic on the stinger and it passed. Seeing as how the custromer was on the 2nd modem, we went ahead and issued the port change for the stinger.

His problem never returned.

webcare never registered loss of sync on his original port. bad port. very bad port.

thats my war story.
kovy7

kovy7

said by urbang33k:

I have been to one fibe25 repair that repeated several times. The customer was on his second modem and was still having problems.

Symptoms were lose of internet connectivity when he maxed out his downstream for several minutes. we accomplished this by download a couple of service packs from Microsuck and starting up torrents, etc.

DSL light on modem would stay on. He was running DDWRT and doing the pppoe with his router. We setup the modem to authenitcate the pppoe instead of his router. Same thing happened after we stressed the connection. His line stats were excellent. only 120m between him and the stinger. When the internet died on his computer.. ie transfers quit, I looked at the modem and noticed the DSL and the internet light was out. looked in webcare and webcare showed him as being in sync (yes he was on the correct port). called testboard they confirmed sync. but no dsl light on modem... it just sat there locked up.

I had the tester run a diagnostic on the stinger and it passed. Seeing as how the custromer was on the 2nd modem, we went ahead and issued the port change for the stinger.

His problem never returned.

webcare never registered loss of sync on his original port. bad port. very bad port.

thats my war story.
Well I'm not losing DSL nor Internet light... and few other people have the same problem.
sstackho
Toronto, ON

sstackho

Same here. When my problem occurs, the DSL and Internet lights are still lit.

urbang33k - thanks for the war story! So you were saying that the modem lights stayed on when the PPPOE was done through the router, but not when through the modem?

Can anyone confirm that they can still ping when they have this problem?

Unfortunately in a way, I can't easily replicate the problem. For example, I think I downloaded a few GB from Usenet at fast speeds without issue a few days ago.
kovy7

2 edits

kovy7

said by sstackho:

Same here. When my problem occurs, the DSL and Internet lights are still lit.

urbang33k - thanks for the war story! So you were saying that the modem lights stayed on when the PPPOE was done through the router, but not when through the modem?

Can anyone confirm that they can still ping when they have this problem?

Unfortunately in a way, I can't easily replicate the problem. For example, I think I downloaded a few GB from Usenet at fast speeds without issue a few days ago.
I can ping, tracert... but can't download nor surf net.

Sometimes I can ping, tracert, download using Usenet... but can't surf the net or acces my modem 192.168.2.1 for a good 60 seconds.

And this is my second modem.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k

annnnnnnd.. youve done a port change right kovy?
kovy7

1 edit

kovy7

said by urbang33k:

annnnnnnd.. youve done a port change right kovy?
Why the heck would I do a port change when I can't even access modem interface when it happens?

Because if what you say is true... there's a hell a lot of port defective.

And you seem like you had a different problem by losing DSL light.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo to sstackho

Premium Member

to sstackho
Sounds kinda like my problem.

All day I've been experiencing these 1 second (or less) outages every so many minutes or so. Though it doesn't matter what I'm doing or which modem/rg combo I use nor what I'm using the internet for. I'm in SBC Midwest if that helps anyone. And I use Bigfoot Networks Dashboard to see what they look like. See screenshot in related thread "One second outages".

Micha3615
join:2004-08-21
Edmundston, NB

Micha3615 to sstackho

to sstackho
I get the same issue, my wife was uploading pictures on my FTP server I have and after a few minutes everything came to a crawling speed.

I was at work so I ask my wife to reboot the modem and then it just died. When I got home, I couldn't even connect to the modem itself. was not getting any ip address. Spent an hour with a bell tech to figure out if it was the modem or something else.

We concluded it was the modem and will get a new one today. So after a few hours, like magic everything was working ok on the old modem. But i will still get the new one just to see if it's better.

I do have to reboot the mode about 10 times since I've got fibe25.

quantumfluxx3
join:2009-01-11

quantumfluxx3 to sstackho

to sstackho
I also had this problem. If I maxed my connection out, the internet lights and DSL light would stay on, but I would have no connection to anything, I could still ping, but couldn't load websites and all my torrents died.

I fought with Bell on this issue for several months, I got Fibe25 installed in April and I didn't get the problem properly fixed until July.

After having them send out several technicians to see what was causing it, they finally listened to me when I said that it was the wiring in the house itself. The Bell tech looked at the wiring and discovered that there was a section of the wires that was not connected properly. My house had two phone lines before we moved in, and whoever installed them made an absolute mess of the wiring.

What was happening was all the wires were leading into two different boxes inside the house, and they were looping and doing strange things. On top of that, the POTS splitter that the original install technician had installed, wasn't placed in the proper spot, it was behind all the mess of wires, and thus wasn't doing anything to properly regulate the internet signal. The tech rewired and removed all the loops and stuff, and placed the POTS splitter in the correct spot, and like magic, ALL of my problems went away. I max my connection out for days at a time sometimes and it still won't crash like that.

You may want to bring up wiring problems with your Bell tech next time hes out to your place. I wasn't even billed for the work on the final repair because they classified it as the original technician not doing it properly.

Hope this helps.
kovy7

kovy7

said by quantumfluxx3:

I also had this problem. If I maxed my connection out, the internet lights and DSL light would stay on, but I would have no connection to anything, I could still ping, but couldn't load websites and all my torrents died.

I fought with Bell on this issue for several months, I got Fibe25 installed in April and I didn't get the problem properly fixed until July.

After having them send out several technicians to see what was causing it, they finally listened to me when I said that it was the wiring in the house itself. The Bell tech looked at the wiring and discovered that there was a section of the wires that was not connected properly. My house had two phone lines before we moved in, and whoever installed them made an absolute mess of the wiring.

What was happening was all the wires were leading into two different boxes inside the house, and they were looping and doing strange things. On top of that, the POTS splitter that the original install technician had installed, wasn't placed in the proper spot, it was behind all the mess of wires, and thus wasn't doing anything to properly regulate the internet signal. The tech rewired and removed all the loops and stuff, and placed the POTS splitter in the correct spot, and like magic, ALL of my problems went away. I max my connection out for days at a time sometimes and it still won't crash like that.

You may want to bring up wiring problems with your Bell tech next time hes out to your place. I wasn't even billed for the work on the final repair because they classified it as the original technician not doing it properly.

Hope this helps.
I have a Dry loop... and my wire is CAT 6.

People seem too have different problem... but mine is clearly pointing the modem, since I can't even go to the interface of the modem when it's crashing, but I still have DSL and Internet light up.
clee8
join:2006-08-12
Toronto

clee8

Can also say that I have this problem as well..

Can ping, but internet would go out. DSL light still on.

Have to reboot router to get it fixed. Happens randomly... any permanent fix to this?
kovy7

kovy7

said by clee8:

Can also say that I have this problem as well..

Can ping, but internet would go out. DSL light still on.

Have to reboot router to get it fixed. Happens randomly... any permanent fix to this?
Not that I know of... I don't even reboot, I just wait out the 30-45 seconds and it returns to back.

I think bell is working on fixing the modem... not sure.

JoePro
join:2006-11-01
canada

JoePro

Does this happen over wireless only or also wired? My wife has started having weird connectivity issues since I got the cellpipe (she's wireless) and I haven't had any issues so far (wired).
kovy7

kovy7

said by JoePro:

Does this happen over wireless only or also wired? My wife has started having weird connectivity issues since I got the cellpipe (she's wireless) and I haven't had any issues so far (wired).
Wired.
wlf0303
join:2010-10-12
Oakville, ON

1 edit

wlf0303

I have the same issue with my Bell Canada Fibe25 modem. When BitComet is running, I run up to 300 G downloads per month. I think Bell does not like it, so they disconnect me without an explanation.... anyway, I am thinking of getting a second ISP contract..... so with two Internet connections running into the house... I can switch from time to time... I have win 2003 Server running which has two Ethernet ports.
kovy7

kovy7

said by wlf0303:

I have the same issue with my Bell Canada Fibe25 modem. When BitComet is running, I run up to 300 G downloads per month. I think Bell does not like it, so they disconnect me without an explanation.... anyway, I am thinking of getting a second ISP contract..... so with two Internet connections running into the house... I can switch from time to time... I have win 2003 Server running which has two Ethernet ports.
LOL, it has nothing to do with that...
wlf0303
join:2010-10-12
Oakville, ON

wlf0303

Kovy:
Did you solve this issue? How?
kovy7

kovy7

said by wlf0303:

Kovy:
Did you solve this issue? How?
Nop, it's not solved.
It's random and there's nothing I can do or we can do except wait for a better modem I guess.

As of now, it does it less often then before... try a different ethernet ports behind the modem.

Dones
join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

Dones

It might not be the modem. I've had this problem since fibe25 came out and had too many bell guys come over. Replaced the modem twice and still nothing. I gave up and just take it up the ass. If anyone has a fix please post.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Dones:

It might not be the modem. I've had this problem since fibe25 came out and had too many bell guys come over. Replaced the modem twice and still nothing. I gave up and just take it up the ass. If anyone has a fix please post.
Well if you can't reach the modem interface when the problem occurs, what else can be the problem?
sstackho
Toronto, ON

sstackho

FYI, the problem occurred a couple more times since my original post. One time it was down I was able to try connecting to the modem interface at »192.168.2.1 (or whatever it was) and I could connect, FWIW.

I worked with Bell support (started off using the Direct forum here) and eventually got a knowledgeable technician to drop by. He changed some wiring around my demarc box and I showed him urbang33k's "war story" on Page 1 of this thread. So I believe he also did a "port change for the stinger" - whatever that means!

The problem has not resurfaced since. Though the issue only happened sporadically before, so that's not to say it will never happen again.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

4 edits

BliZZardX to sstackho

Premium Member

to sstackho
I noticed this happening to me as well, I've only documented two occurrences so far. Once last night, and once tonight. But it's happened before.

First I changed DNS servers, that didn't work. Then I connected my computer directly to the CellPipe 7130 and let my computer dial a PPPoE session to eliminate router issues-still didn't work. Finally I rebooted the modem, waited for it to resync and it started working again.

My connection was almost inactive, I was just reading some websites when it happened, then all of a sudden pages wouldn't load. Couldn't even bring up the 7130 web interface. The DSL light was on. Traceroute, ping worked fine. Everything else-browsing, ftp, ssh... all not working.
kovy7

kovy7

said by BliZZardX:

I noticed this happening to me as well, I've only documented two occurrences so far. Once last night, and once tonight. But it's happened before.

First I changed DNS servers, that didn't work. Then I connected my computer directly to the CellPipe 7130 and let my computer dial a PPPoE session to eliminate router issues-still didn't work. Finally I rebooted the modem, waited for it to resync and it started working again.

My connection was almost inactive, I was just reading some websites when it happened, then all of a sudden pages wouldn't load. Couldn't even bring up the 7130 web interface. The DSL light was on. Traceroute, ping worked fine. Everything else-browsing, ftp, ssh... all not working.
Now that's what I'm talking about.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to sstackho

MVM

to sstackho
I have FibeTV and now you have me trying to think whether this has happened to me. My daughter has periodically come downstairs and had to "reboot" the router. It sounds like an issue with the VDSL2 cards.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Glen1:

I have FibeTV and now you have me trying to think whether this has happened to me. My daughter has periodically come downstairs and had to "reboot" the router. It sounds like an issue with the VDSL2 cards.
Well not my problem... I can't even access the modem interface.
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to sstackho

to sstackho
said by sstackho:

Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this? I never had until I got Fibe 25 a few months ago. I was on regular Sympatico High Speed for years prior to that (with the same router).
I had a similar problem with my service which was finally resolved a couple of months ago. The fourth service tech that Bell sent realized that the original tech had forgotten to swap filters (replace the ADSL filter with the VDSL filter) at the NID when he set up my Fibe25 service early this year.

Since the filter replacement, my service has been rock solid with only one issue. Someone at Bell decided to downgrade my profile to 20/4 for some unknown reason. A quick phone call and my profile was promptly restored.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

4 edits

BliZZardX to sstackho

Premium Member

to sstackho
I had this happen to me again tonight, the outage lasted a little over 2 hours without rebooting the modem, then it randomly started working again.

I caught near the end of it, but still had some time to do testing...

While the outage was happening, the CellPipe DSL and Internet light were on.

I connected a computer directly to a port the CellPipe (I've tried all of them). I was able to dial and authenticate a PPPoE session (bridge mode).

I turned off the OS firewall on the CellPipe computer and using my laptop on a backup line (3g) I connected to an external shell and ran an nmap scan on my Bell IP for ports 1-65535.

I was successfully able to connect to all ports that were open, so I discovered that while the outage occurs, all inbound traffic passes through.

Locally, I tried a "reverse port scan" to see which outbound ports were blocked using a TCP SYN utility called tracetcp by specifying a ip:port or port range to connect to (hping2/tcptraceroute will also do this in linux). I didn't have enough time to try a full range of ports, but the few I did try (1-30) wouldn't return an OPEN or CLOSED state because the packets didn't even make it to the gateway.

I think it's interesting some of you got onto Usenet, I'll have to try that next time...