join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection

So CB how are things going?

reply to BHNtechXpert

Click for full size
Upgraded to Lightning in Tampa. Motorola wireless is switched off. Connected wirelessly to my Airport Extreme (N, 5 Ghz) which is not connected directly to the modem. My router is a Wired D-Link Gamer Lounge DGL-4100. Devices connected to the wireless network at G speeds get about 18 Mbps down. Thankfully, wireless N is not a bottleneck with my setup.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Looks good Chris!!

cb110569

join:2011-01-08

ISP,

things are going good now.
I setup the new router, did not upgrade at all.
internet flow is outstanding, I constantly have 38-39 mbps download and 4.9 upload.
Thanks again for all of your help.

it was the other router that seemed to be the problem. It could not hold a constant speed.
It was constantly surging, like reving your car.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

Hey great to hear you got it resolved . Your experience with the spastic router is not uncommon. I don't know the brand or model of the router that gave you the grief but if I were a betting man it probably cost you what...a whole $50? Routers are one of those things you really don't want to skimp on. There are a couple of rare exceptions...but rare indeed.

Chris Berry

join:2008-10-22
Orlando, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Starting next month, Bright House Networks is officially launching Road Runner Lightning in Central Indiana. You can preregister at www.brighthouse.com/rrlightning.
--
BHN Insider

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

Chris I already know one guy up there who is on the list Any clue on when for the folks in Michigan?

Chris Berry

join:2008-10-22
Orlando, FL

Preregistration for RR Lightning is also happening in Detroit, Bakersfield and Birmingham.

KLM747

join:2008-10-14

Here's a somewhat interesting article in today's Orlando Sentinel featuring a reporter's experiences with Lightning:

»www.orlandosentinel.com/business···33.story

It looks like there were issues with wireless on the laptop and desktop, but the equipment was old with wireless-G. The wired connections were fine.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

I fail to see the point of the article. In one way she gives Lightning kudos and in another tries to blame it for wireless issues on old customer owned equipment. This is what happens when a technitard reporter tries to sound like they know what they're talking about....in this case it was an epic FAIL.

Lightning performed as promised though The rest of the article relating to the wireless issues with her equipment are pointless however. Had she known what she was talking about she would have left that portion off as it has nothing to do with Lightning as a service or otherwise and she should have known that. Wireless is what it is...it works or it doesn't but no intelligent reporter skilled in the technical arena would have reported it in the manner in which she did.

Me thinks she should stick to reporting crop circles in the local Orlando fields and let the technical reviews to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

KLM747

join:2008-10-14

Haha, well Lightning worked fine; no problems on Bright House's end.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

Yea but the average guy doesn't know that....he reads a newspaper article like that (assumes they must be experts because afterall they are reporters....BLAH!) and thinks it doesn't work right...very reckless reporting but coming from the Orlando Sentinel I shouldn't be too surprised I guess. Up until recently I had no idea why my brother refused to get that paper...after two recent lame articles I think I know why now.

cb110569

Hey ISP,

Update the wnrd3700 worked great for about 2 weeks. all of a sudden it has started to drop my internet connection. It is going back before it's to late. I Never upgraged the firmware. I see you have 3 routers listed as very good ones, but wich one do you recommend the most for high traffic ?

thanks
CB

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

Hey CB are you sure its the wndr3700? Have you removed it to see if the issue goes away?

cb110569

I removed it, I even did a factory reset on it just in case something changed.That didn't help either. I tried to download music and that is jittery also.

cb110569

I'm worried by all of the reports that i have read if I upgrade the firmware it will make it even worse.

cb110569

the firmware version is 1:00:04 I think
and it wants to upgrade to 1:00:68

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Okay when you removed it though did things improve? Very important to know if there was a difference. I too have read the recent reports and I had a personal experience with the very same model and the factory version of DD-WRT. I actually sent it back because the thing was unstable as hell. I must say this is a far departure from my initial experience with this router so I'm wondering what changes they've made to cause all the issues.

Anyway confirm with me that your symptoms go away when you remove the router. Otherwise you may have another issue we need to look at. I can put you on monitoring through my diagnostics if needed.

polk863

@rr.com
reply to BHNtechXpert

I want to know why i need to bridge the connection to obtain lightning speeds over wifi... I didnt need to and i'm getting 38mbps/4.4mbps over wifi with the motorola sb modem/router why is this?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

This really isn't a thread to ask questions specific to wireless issues. It appears to me that you are questioning specific advice in this thread however I haven't said that here. I'm somewhat confused as to the purpose of your post.

polk863

@rr.com

the reason i want to know is because the tech that came and installed my lightning said that i would never get anywhere near 40mbps over wifi with the router/modem they installed i just want to know if you could verify if thats what they tell all customers so they go and buy another router to obtain those speeds over wifi and simply waste thier money because its not necessary.

polk863

@rr.com

by the way i am impressed with your posts very organized and informational.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Ahh now I get it. Okay this is the deal. If you live in an apartment or small home you should have no issues with wifi speeds and the SMC or SB provided modems. The problem starts when the needs of the user exceeds the capabilities of the device and in this case it's range. The greater the distance the greater the degree of speed loss up until the point where you have connection issues.

My suggestions of bridging and bypassing the integrated router are primarily for those who need to make additional settings changes or take advantage of features the provided devices really aren't designed for. There is also the issue of wireless range. The devices mentioned in this thread are noted for their longer range wifi when compared to the stock devices.

For the average user the stock (or BHN provided router/modem combination) are just fine. Thing is that more and more people are not just the average user anymore. Bottom line is if you want the best performance especially with simultaneous multiple destination streaming on your local network you really should look to providing your own router and bridgingand don't be cheap about the router. You get what you pay for (sometimes this isn't always true but almost always).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to cb110569

said by cb110569:

Status check for me sir. I have a couple of suggestions for you but want to hear back from you first re my last post to you.

polk863

@rr.com

yes i understand what your saying and to correct you my home is about 2500 sqft. not exactly small and i get this consistant speed in about every corner of my home. I am just saying for the average joe that you really dont need all this fancy stuff. And yes thanks for your time you have great information on here which i will definitely tell others who need your networking expertise.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

(snicker) Why did I know that was coming....lol

Is your house built out of crackers by some chance?

I'm glad your personal experience has been different. You aren't the norm however and as with all things wifi each installation will perform differently depending on conditions too many to name here.

Have a great evening!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to cb110569

said by cb110569:

Hey CB you vanished man. Check out my last question to you and then I have an answer or two for ya.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

For the moment I'm taking the Netgear WNDR-3700 off the list of suggested routers. I don't know what the heck Netgear did but there is something very wrong. I'm seeing way too many complaints about the latest firmware and stability issues and this was recently confirmed by my own tests of an off the shelf unit.

I'm finally adding the EnGenius ESR 9855G to the list and the new EnGenius EVR100 is high on my list to start testing when it becomes available.

»www.engeniustech.com/index.php/h···-gigabit

You can pick up the ESR 9855G up for around $70.00 if you shop wisely.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

TURBO1112

join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

Tonight I noticed that there was 2 blue lights on my SMC modem instead of one, Both the US and DS are blue. Not having any net issues, just wondering why this is happening. Thanks

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

they activated upstream channel bonding in your hub. The blue lights mean the channels are bonded. You used to have one blue light because only the downstream channels were bonded. They have, over the past few months, been activating the upstream bonding hub by hub.