Search similar:

uniqs

polk863
@rr.com

polk863 to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection

the reason i want to know is because the tech that came and installed my lightning said that i would never get anywhere near 40mbps over wifi with the router/modem they installed i just want to know if you could verify if thats what they tell all customers so they go and buy another router to obtain those speeds over wifi and simply waste thier money because its not necessary.
polk863

polk863

Anon

by the way i am impressed with your posts very organized and informational.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Ahh now I get it. Okay this is the deal. If you live in an apartment or small home you should have no issues with wifi speeds and the SMC or SB provided modems. The problem starts when the needs of the user exceeds the capabilities of the device and in this case it's range. The greater the distance the greater the degree of speed loss up until the point where you have connection issues.

My suggestions of bridging and bypassing the integrated router are primarily for those who need to make additional settings changes or take advantage of features the provided devices really aren't designed for. There is also the issue of wireless range. The devices mentioned in this thread are noted for their longer range wifi when compared to the stock devices.

For the average user the stock (or BHN provided router/modem combination) are just fine. Thing is that more and more people are not just the average user anymore. Bottom line is if you want the best performance especially with simultaneous multiple destination streaming on your local network you really should look to providing your own router and bridgingand don't be cheap about the router. You get what you pay for (sometimes this isn't always true but almost always).
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to cb110569

Premium Member

to cb110569
said by cb110569:

the firmware version is 1:00:04 I think
and it wants to upgrade to 1:00:68

Status check for me sir. I have a couple of suggestions for you but want to hear back from you first re my last post to you.

polk863
@rr.com

polk863

Anon

yes i understand what your saying and to correct you my home is about 2500 sqft. not exactly small and i get this consistant speed in about every corner of my home. I am just saying for the average joe that you really dont need all this fancy stuff. And yes thanks for your time you have great information on here which i will definitely tell others who need your networking expertise.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

(snicker) Why did I know that was coming....lol

Is your house built out of crackers by some chance?

I'm glad your personal experience has been different. You aren't the norm however and as with all things wifi each installation will perform differently depending on conditions too many to name here.

Have a great evening!
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to cb110569

Premium Member

to cb110569
said by cb110569:

the firmware version is 1:00:04 I think
and it wants to upgrade to 1:00:68

Hey CB you vanished man. Check out my last question to you and then I have an answer or two for ya.
BHNtechXpert

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

For the moment I'm taking the Netgear WNDR-3700 off the list of suggested routers. I don't know what the heck Netgear did but there is something very wrong. I'm seeing way too many complaints about the latest firmware and stability issues and this was recently confirmed by my own tests of an off the shelf unit.

I'm finally adding the EnGenius ESR 9855G to the list and the new EnGenius EVR100 is high on my list to start testing when it becomes available.

»www.engeniustech.com/ind ··· -gigabit

You can pick up the ESR 9855G up for around $70.00 if you shop wisely.

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112

Tonight I noticed that there was 2 blue lights on my SMC modem instead of one, Both the US and DS are blue. Not having any net issues, just wondering why this is happening. Thanks
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

they activated upstream channel bonding in your hub. The blue lights mean the channels are bonded. You used to have one blue light because only the downstream channels were bonded. They have, over the past few months, been activating the upstream bonding hub by hub.

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112

Thanks Tim
LonghornXP
join:2005-08-27
Largo, FL

LonghornXP to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Does that mean we might get an upload speed increase for Lightning this year. Pretty please and I'll beg on both knees. Oh and for what it's worth my WNDR-3700 is working perfectly fine so maybe we should start looking at hardware revisions. Maybe the new models with a different hardware revision are having problems with the new firmware but the older units aren't. I've seen a change in chipset for a router do some crazy things. The chipset would be the same brand and model but just an updated version of the chipset. They can made one or two changes in the chipset that throws everything off on newer tech.

Just some food for thought and I hope I don't start having problems.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by LonghornXP:

Does that mean we might get an upload speed increase for Lightning this year. Pretty please and I'll beg on both knees. Oh and for what it's worth my WNDR-3700 is working perfectly fine so maybe we should start looking at hardware revisions. Maybe the new models with a different hardware revision are having problems with the new firmware but the older units aren't. I've seen a change in chipset for a router do some crazy things. The chipset would be the same brand and model but just an updated version of the chipset. They can made one or two changes in the chipset that throws everything off on newer tech.

I can't answer that question but I would most certainly welcome increased upload speeds myself

As for the WNDR-3700 issue I know several of you with the older models that lovem. The issues seem to start at about the same time they changed the model # on this unit to um...hell...now I'm gonna have to look it up but the WNDR-3700 as a model is dead. They claim they didn't make any changes to it. The model I bought was post model # change. I can't vouch for CB's.
LonghornXP
Largo, FL

LonghornXP

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by LonghornXP:

I can't answer that question but I would most certainly welcome increased upload speeds myself

As for the WNDR-3700 issue I know several of you with the older models that lovem. The issues seem to start at about the same time they changed the model # on this unit to um...hell...now I'm gonna have to look it up but the WNDR-3700 as a model is dead. They claim they didn't make any changes to it. The model I bought was post model # change. I can't vouch for CB's.

I hate it when they do that lol. Oh and yes we all could use some more upload speed. Still remember Corky Ramono movie. I'm gonna download 100 megabytes up your azz....well technically that would be uploading. Honestly every time somebody talks about uploading this is the first thing I think about. Yeah I know I'm one sick bastard but what can I say. I tell ya it gets hard keeping track of all the changes, new models, revisions, etc of these products sometimes. They don't make things easy for us do they.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by LonghornXP:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by LonghornXP:

I hate it when they do that lol. Oh and yes we all could use some more upload speed. Still remember Corky Ramono movie. I'm gonna download 100 megabytes up your azz....well technically that would be uploading. Honestly every time somebody talks about uploading this is the first thing I think about. Yeah I know I'm one sick bastard but what can I say. I tell ya it gets hard keeping track of all the changes, new models, revisions, etc of these products sometimes. They don't make things easy for us do they.

What sucks is I didn't write down the rev and all the good info prior to returning it. That way we could have all compared and possibly figured out what the heck they did. I know better...just wasn't thinking at the time. To be honest though at that time I thought my situation was isolated. Only days after did I realize others were complaining of similar issues. What sucks more is I can't edit the original post here to remove it from the suggested list. Too old...
LonghornXP
Largo, FL

LonghornXP

said by BHNtechXpert:

What sucks is I didn't write down the rev and all the good info prior to returning it. That way we could have all compared and possibly figured out what the heck they did. I know better...just wasn't thinking at the time. To be honest though at that time I thought my situation was isolated. Only days after did I realize others were complaining of similar issues. What sucks more is I can't edit the original post here to remove it from the suggested list. Too old...

I'd buy a lottery ticket if I were you with that kinda luck. Well I'm sure next time you'll write everything down. For now maybe you could ask an admin to edit your post to remove the WNDR router from the suggested list. I hope somebody that has admin powers could do this for the betterment of the community considered it's you that is asking. Or better yet ask them to give you those admin powers as it might make your job easier. That however is up to them but your rep here shouldn't be a problem so if they can't give you this ability it has to be because of other reasons such as security or whatever.

Well have a good night and keep up the good work with this wideband thread as its one of your better ideas I might say.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

I think I'm gonna ask a mod to do that. I forgot about that option. Hey I think all my threads are decent Nobody said they would be boring Besides it's good to entertain lively debate SO LONG AS people remain respectful but that could be a thread all to itself.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I havent heard anything official but I guess there is talk of a few changes that would bring us increased upload speeds. Nothing soon though (unless they decide to up them a little now since there bonded but I doubt they will.)
willzzz
join:2007-05-23
NY

willzzz to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Anyone want to post a screenshot of the modem? Just wondering if they enabled upstream channel bonding here in MI. Though I did notice my DOCSIS 2.0 modem switching to a different upstream QAM16 channel the other day. Any possibilities of running QAM64 and/or QAM128 on the upstream!? Comcast is starting to do QAM64 on the upstream for their business customers.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

no there still running a 16 qam.

The upstream bonding has nothing to do with your modem changing upstream channels. Its still only using one at a time, it can switch if there is too much noise on that qam or to spread out the use of bandwith across all 4 carriers.

with that said, I doubt MI has the upstream bonding yet. I dont think off of the tampa division is even bonded (close, I think there might be a few hubs left) and we seem to get the stuff first.
willzzz
NY

willzzz

But this is exactly my point, the D3 upgrade has helped me as a D2 customer by getting the speeds I pay for by allowing modems to be balanced across all the channels BHN is using. So this means 4xQAM256 downstream now and 4xQAM16 upstream!? Cool. My speeds BEFORE the D3 upgrade were slow as molasses even directly connected the modem with ethernet ruling out my CPE equiptment because your node was SO OVERSOLD and EVERYONE was using bandwidth during peak times. Now less so I get mostly the 20Mb/2Mb Turbo I pay for.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by willzzz:

But this is exactly my point, the D3 upgrade has helped me as a D2 customer by getting the speeds I pay for by allowing modems to be balanced across all the channels BHN is using. So this means 4xQAM256 downstream now and 4xQAM16 upstream!? Cool. My speeds BEFORE the D3 upgrade were slow as molasses even directly connected the modem with ethernet ruling out my CPE equiptment because your node was SO OVERSOLD and EVERYONE was using bandwidth during peak times. Now less so I get mostly the 20Mb/2Mb Turbo I pay for.

Actually Willzzz it probably didn't. I'm leaning to more towards equipment upgrades in your area also resolved an underlying equipment issue that was causing your issues. In other words yes they did equipment upgrades but they also probably discovered another issue and fixed both at the same time. The one thing that most people in the know will agree on is BHN is very hands on with such issues. Had a node reached capacity consistently it would have been split off so as not to impact customers.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Question about Netgear Switch

Hello everyone.

I have a question about a switch I just got at newegg, NETGEAR ProSafe Plus 24-Port Gigabit Switch Model JGS524E.

I'm having some issues with it, the internet speed tests on speedtest.tampabay.rr.com and speedtest.bhntampa.com the down speed is 39.40mpbs But the upload gives me an Error can't read upload. Ispgeeks.com works fine but not bright houses. I'm using the Motorola D3 modem that came with Lighting with a 6' CAT 6 cable from the modem to the switch. I use wireshark and i am getting tcp acks in black.
it's a cool switch, it's got VLAN, QOS, Port Mirroring and Cable tester support.
Should I get a router and put the modem in Bridger mode. I was thinking of the Netgear WNDR3800 or a dual WAN router for fios and RR Lighting.
Thanks for any help you guys can provide me with.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

Hello everyone.

I have a question about a switch I just got at newegg, NETGEAR ProSafe Plus 24-Port Gigabit Switch Model JGS524E.

I'm having some issues with it, the internet speed tests on speedtest.tampabay.rr.com and speedtest.bhntampa.com the down speed is 39.40mpbs But the upload gives me an Error can't read upload. Ispgeeks.com works fine but not bright houses. I'm using the Motorola D3 modem that came with Lighting with a 6' CAT 6 cable from the modem to the switch. I use wireshark and i am getting tcp acks in black.
it's a cool switch, it's got VLAN, QOS, Port Mirroring and Cable tester support.
Should I get a router and put the modem in Bridger mode. I was thinking of the Netgear WNDR3800 or a dual WAN router for fios and RR Lighting.
Thanks for any help you guys can provide me with.

Bigdaddy what happens when you remove the switch and attempt to run the tests? It's not likely to be the switch is why I'm asking.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy

It worked fine before i used the switch.
Is there a setting i should activate or disable in the nic card setting's, like IPv4 checksum or jumbo frame buffer at 8k or 9k.

This is the first i am using such a large switch. I am wondering if there is a way wireshark can show me where the problem is located because i don't know where to start looking.

Any Ideas?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

It worked fine before i used the switch.
Is there a setting i should activate or disable in the nic card setting's, like IPv4 checksum or jumbo frame buffer at 8k or 9k.

This is the first i am using such a large switch. I am wondering if there is a way wireshark can show me where the problem is located because i don't know where to start looking.

Any Ideas?

Hey BigD...I realize it worked prior to the switch but can you indulge me and just remove it and try again. Something doesn't make sense quite yet. Also is this on all PC's in the house or just one?
cb110569
join:2011-01-08

cb110569

Hey isp,

I was out of town for a while some bad family things.
my version is :04
it's the origional out of the box still
what is your suggestion ??
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by cb110569:

Hey isp,

I was out of town for a while some bad family things.
my version is :04
it's the origional out of the box still
what is your suggestion ??

Have you had a technician out CB? If it's not too late to return your router and you have time I would suggest that first. The dropping connection thing is what troubles me. While that could be a symptom of the router it's normally related to something else.
willzzz
NY

willzzz to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection

So my other question, how many QAM upstreams and downstream's does BHN usually run with D3 per node? I heard an ISP doing actually 6 for capacity relief.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by willzzz:

So my other question, how many QAM upstreams and downstream's does BHN usually run with D3 per node? I heard an ISP doing actually 6 for capacity relief.

LOL... I'm gonna have to ask on that one because I don't know the answer to be honest Willzzz.