Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection

said by BHNtechXpert:

That QoS box is interesting. I have honestly never seen anything quite like it. The website however appeared to be broken and I couldn't see any of the specs or method behind it's operation.

From what I read, the technology (StreamEngine) was later rolled into Hawking's router line. Here's a product PDF.
The device wants to be before the router (and after the dumb modem). I'm figuring it works @ Layer 7.
said by BHNtechXpert:

I missed you were using Pfsense but even then I dunno the symptom still smacks of either poor bandwidth management or just maxing out the device.

The test results you saw were with the QoS box in place. My Netflix issues were before I installed it.
I still haven't had the time to evaluate the network since I installed the QoS box.
said by BHNtechXpert:

Of course it could have also been a well timed Netflix issue.

This much I'm sure of - it wasn't that. Pausing/Resuming the torrent was an on/off switch for Netflix disruption.
said by BHNtechXpert:

One of these days I'll play around with Pfsense just to see how much damage I can inflict on it. You didn't mention the hardware behind it so thats a missing part of the equation. I won't slam Pfsense too much because I know how you PF guys are about it.

• I'm an admitted pfSense fanboi. Their development team worked hard to earn my shill-ary.
I once setup/tested every firewall distro I could find (monowall, smoothwall, IPfire, etc). I've been pfSense since.

• I'm running a Toshiba notebook w/ a Celeron 420 1.6Ghz, 1 Gig Ram, 40GB HDD. 2x 10/100 Ethernet.
It's running the basic functionality you'd see in a SonicWall or Barracuda box - but w/ way more power than they have.

• I agree that I need to review my router configs. I will, once I test my current setup.
While posting this, I noticed the CPU is 64-bit capable. I'm leaning toward wiping it tonight and reloading a 64-bit version of the OS.

and

You should get a copy of pfSense and play with it. If you don't have old hardware laying around, you could run it as a VirtualBox VM.

NV
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Noah extra hardware is something that I'm blessed a plenty with. I keep spares on hand for pretty much everything since I'm local Mr. Fixit for almost everyone I know. Today was Dell Capectomy day. Just got done replacing the 5 primary filter caps on a Dell box where they had ruptured right on schedule. One of these days Dell will spend the extra .10 cents per cap and spec them right to begin with and prevent the problem. However my biggest gripe is their switch to lead free solder....curse Dell for making it nearly impossible to safely remove components from their boards because the melting point for lead free is um...higher....grrr.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

One of these days Dell will spend the extra .10 cents per cap and spec them right to begin with and prevent the problem.

I remembered being annoyed with Asus for 3 years over that, followed by 2 years of Intel's lousy cap choices.

note: Two wired NICs in a new pfSense box help minimize the learning curve.

NV
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Noah Vail:

said by BHNtechXpert:

One of these days Dell will spend the extra .10 cents per cap and spec them right to begin with and prevent the problem.

I remembered being annoyed with Asus for 3 years over that, followed by 2 years of Intel's lousy cap choices.

note: Two wired NICs in a new pfSense box help minimize the learning curve.

NV

It just gripes the hell outta me about those caps. These things cost me .72 cents each in qty of 1-10 from digikey so you can imagine how cheap Dell gets them.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

It just gripes the hell outta me about those caps. These things cost me .72 cents each in qty of 1-10 from digikey so you can imagine how cheap Dell gets them.

I hear you brother.

NV
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

LOL!
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

I'm thinking it's time to update this original post and convert it to a FAQ. Only problem is you guys can't ask questions against a FAQ
phurst4512
join:2012-02-17
Orlando, FL

phurst4512 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
So the new ubee BVM3201 here in the home office, split right off the CATV drop for the house. From here though, the wifi won't reach the deck. I can bridge it via cat5 that runs from here to the living room to a Gigabit N router, where that signal should cover everything nice and fast. I can also hook in a media PC and three components up there that were previously on a 10/100 switch. My question: back here in the office is the work PC, LAN printer and storage devices. Can they be connected to the other ports on the ubee, or is it now just a cable modem with the one bridge port? What to do?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

If the modem is bridged then only one port wil be active. Why not use one of the ports on your router?
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Bump...

Time to breath some life back into this thead!
henbone11
join:2012-02-18
Carmel, IN

henbone11 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I have seen mention of the Asus rt-n56u, but has anyone used the rt-n66u with brighthouse lightning service? I have a linksys e3000 and recently had tier 3 fully bridge the ubee and now the best speed I can get is ~18Mbps. I am assuming this is a fault of my present router. I have been looking at the 66u and wonder if anyone has any experience with it on brighthouse networks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by henbone11:

I have seen mention of the Asus rt-n56u, but has anyone used the rt-n66u with brighthouse lightning service? I have a linksys e3000 and recently had tier 3 fully bridge the ubee and now the best speed I can get is ~18Mbps. I am assuming this is a fault of my present router. I have been looking at the 66u and wonder if anyone has any experience with it on brighthouse networks.

My advice is to stay clear of that one until they work all the bugs out. It's a nice device but firmware has been a problem since release of the product.
henbone11
join:2012-02-18
Carmel, IN

henbone11

thanks for the heads up
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

When shopping for a router one of the very first things to look at is Wan to Lan speeds. SNB has a great page dedicated for just this purpose.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

This thread will soon get a revamp....look for it soon
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

bump
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten

Gary, I think you'll find these 2 links interesting :

»reviews.cnet.com/8301-31 ··· pensive/
»reviews.cnet.com/8301-31 ··· storage/
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Irv,

I am not a big fan of router based NAS features. As you know the RTN56U works okay but none of them perform when compared to a standalone NAS product such as the Synology. Of course Synology is not entirely budget friendly but you get what you pay for. I'll be covering storage options in the other thread soon just as quickly as I can. With some luck maybe this weekend.