Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FTBoomer

join:2011-04-22
Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection

I too am anxious to hear how it all works out. I love my D-Link but it's only 2.4 so I will probably get one of these at the end of the month.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

So far so good. I maxed out my Netflix connections at 6 and only stopped there because I ran out of accounts to use (had to borrow from everyone in the family as I'm limited to only two streams at once) and it didn't even phase that bugger especially with everything else going on with that connection. I imagine the guys at DD-WRT are working hard to port a version for it as well but honestly the UI isn't all that bad and it's packed with features already. Pretty much anything you can think of is already covered in the stock UI.

Here are my last speed test (off my site) results with it...it just doesn't get much better than this folks...

»mcs.ispgeeks.net/myspeed/db/report?id=446383

--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

said by FTBoomer:

I too am anxious to hear how it all works out. I love my D-Link but it's only 2.4 so I will probably get one of these at the end of the month.

Still going strong with not so much as a hiccup. I'm very happy with not only the wired but also wireless performance. I noticed that some have commented on G range but my experience was just the opposite and I'm in a complicated two story house.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

I can not find this thing locally anywhere. Any ideas?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

You won't find it locally. I can post an Amazon Prime link for you @ $129.00 which is what I paid. The great thing about buying it directly from Amazon is the ZERO hassle returns.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

No problem I buy tonnes of stuff through Amazon, just wanted to install today and tinker.

carays

join:2008-09-22
Ormond Beach, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

isp do you think the lightning wireless router has a better range than the 20 meg service brighthouse supplied router, also the second supplied modem for phone service approx size.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

said by carays:

isp do you think the lightning wireless router has a better range than the 20 meg service brighthouse supplied router, also the second supplied modem for phone service approx size.

Without looking at the transmit power specs on both devices I can't tell you if one betters the other by specs alone. The integrated MTA/modem/wireless that BHN is currently using for 2/20 is a wireless B,G device last time I checked whereas the Lightning product is wireless B,G,N so there are some advantages there. That leaves me to give you an answer based on my experience and/or the experiences of others that I'm aware of.

That said I'm going to gracefully sidestep the issue and say this...

Would you go to an Italian/TexMex/Chinese restaurant for Chinese food? Not if you really wanted good Chinese food. In fact you wouldn't go to a Italian/TexMex/Chinese restaurant for either Italian or TexMex food as well...at least not if you had a choice and you were picky about the particular food you were looking for.

The reason behind this is simple. Most restaurants do a small group of things really well if they want to be successful. They branch out too far and the quality of the food and service suffers.

Well the same works for electronics. Motorola, RCA/Thompson, Ubee and other mfrs are great at making modems and MTA's but you don't see them making residential routers now do you. Yet they all have integrated devices available now because it's fairly easy to make a DECENT router/wireless device these days AND ISP customers are demanding it. The KEY WORD here is DECENT. It's nothing to write home to mom about, won't make you go wow and certainly is not going to give you the impression you can now control the world from your home network. These devices will do a good job for the general home network user.

They are however an excellent example of a restaurant with too wide a range of menu. While the food may be ok it's nothing to well...write home to mom about. None of the above companies are in the business of residential or even commercial routers so they don't have the depth of understanding when it comes to advanced consumer needs AND there is only so much they can pack inside that box before it becomes problematic for one or more of the intended functions of the device. There is a one major reason why they don't have enhanced functions on these devices and that's because ISP's do not want to support them or the problems advanced networking can cause. Supporting the wide variety of users is already a daunting task (trust me).

I would ask yourself what kind of user are you? If you are a novice or intermediate user the integrated router/wireless available for both 20/2 and Lightning is more than enough for you.

If you are an advanced user or you have people in your home that are or if you take advantage of the myriad of network enabled devices available to the consumer today or have special needs or just like torrent the hell out of your connection 24/7/365 then you need to seriously consider the Asus router I suggested above or something similar instead of using the integrated modem/router/wireless solutions.

Remember...BHN is in the business of providing you a pipe to your home and they want that pipe to perform at its best for you at all times and in order to do that you may need equipment that is well a little bit more capable than BHN's general masses offering. You aren't hurting their feelings by using your own router. In fact you are saving them the trouble of having to support you with your special needs requests.

They make the integrated devices available because there is a significant number of people who don't want the technical headaches associated with more capable devices. BHN doesn't charge extra (other than the install) for these devices so it's not revenue generating other than being an added benefit to their customer.

The 20/2 and Lightning 40/5 products are solid both providing data at the advertised speeds consistently. Your choice shouldn't be based on the router/wireless provided but by the speeds they offer. Once you have decided on the speed you need then you can decide which way to go for your network needs.

To sum it up my best suggestion is you be honest with yourself about your needs and future needs. If you're that basic surfing, email, xbox and once in a while movie download kind of guy then yea go with the integrated devices provided by BHN as they will serve you well. On the otherhand if your needs are more advanced then without a doubt go with your own router and the routers mentioned in this thread are very good devices.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by FTBoomer:

You won't find it locally. I can post an Amazon Prime link for you @ $129.00 which is what I paid. The great thing about buying it directly from Amazon is the ZERO hassle returns.

Just ordered one, be here Friday. Can't wait.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by FTBoomer:

Woot!

Just ordered one, be here Friday. Can't wait.

--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

So I received the ASUS router yesterday and been playing with it. No kidding, this thing is fast and I love the dual mode. Devices like my iPhone 4 and older company laptop still work great and my apple TV gets a dedicated 5GHz signal all to itself.

I kinda like the fact that my iPhone doesn't accept the 5GHz signal because I stream to it and listen to music while I mow. The signal distance is exceptional in the 2.4 GHz bandwidth and I still get 12-15MBps.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

So I received the ASUS router yesterday and been playing with it. No kidding, this thing is fast and I love the dual mode. Devices like my iPhone 4 and older company laptop still work great and my apple TV gets a dedicated 5GHz signal all to itself.

I kinda like the fact that my iPhone doesn't accept the 5GHz signal because I stream to it and listen to music while I mow. The signal distance is exceptional in the 2.4 GHz bandwidth and I still get 12-15MBps.

You still a fan of the Asus? My hunch is the answer is yes
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

You still a fan of the Asus? My hunch is the answer is yes

Sure am. Love this router. Thanks for checking it out and turning us on to it.

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

@ispgeek My ASUS is running firmware 1.0.1.2. I heard that .4 is out and running well. Which firmware are you running?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1.0.1.5 which was out for a short time then suddenly pulled for some reason. I am trying to find out why they pulled it but no news yet. Whatever it may be its not affecting me or another I know who has it.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

BTW 1.0.1.5 still has not returned to the downloads section but its running fine for what its worth.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

For those with the Asus N56U router there is a an update (m) to the current flavor of of firmware. Also an update to those following me on this router...it's a beast. So far no issues beyond the USB external hard drive feature being very drive specific (meaning it doesn't like certain USB drives).
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

evoxllx

join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

1 edit

I tried that asus n56u router several months ago however I had nothing but issues with it maintaining a connection with things like ssh and ftp.

Would get random errors when viewing ftp directories most ftp downloads would fail and ssh sessions would just disconnect randomly as well.

I decided to try out the linksys e4200 instead and haven't had any major issues so far.

I already know my issues are related to this asus n56u router violating tcp specifications as filezilla's developer explains on the url below.

»wiki.filezilla-project.org/Netwo···ge_files

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by evoxllx:

I tried that asus n56u router several months ago however I had nothing but issues with it maintaining a connection with things like ssh and ftp.

Would get random errors when viewing ftp directories most ftp downloads would fail and ssh sessions would just disconnect randomly as well.

I decided to try out the linksys e4200 instead and haven't had any major issues so far.

I already know my issues are related to this asus n56u router violating tcp specifications as filezilla's developer explains on the url below.

»wiki.filezilla-project.org/Netwo···ge_files

Um... that article says nothing specific about the Asus router violating anything and sorry Evox but I use filezilla, ssh and ftp daily, several times a day without a single issue so while you might have had a bad router it isn't inherent in the device because of the 4 people I know who have this same router three of us use all of the services you have mentioned including the same software and none of us are having the problems you describe. I uploaded several 5gig+ files (movies of my vacation no less) to my server just last night without so much as a hiccup.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

evoxllx

join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

I've seen the same issues on other routers before and it's very easy to tell if one is violating tcp specifications especially the one in question (RFC 5382) and that asus router definitely does unless one of the newer firmware versions changes something since version 1.0.1.3 was the latest at the time I tried it however I doubt it given asus's history with router firmware.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

said by evoxllx:

I've seen the same issues on other routers before and it's very easy to tell if one is violating tcp specifications especially the one in question (RFC 5382) and that asus router definitely does unless one of the newer firmware versions changes something since version 1.0.1.3 was the latest at the time I tried it however I doubt it given asus's history with router firmware.

Okay but what does that have to do with your reference to the Asus and this filezila post? The Asus is working fine with all of the applications you mentioned. In fact none of the people I know using this router have had any issues with this router whatsoever with the exception of the picky nature to certain USB drives and thats been solved to so whats your point? It sounds like you had a bad router...it happens.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Those of you who follow me and have followed this thread already know that I am VERY anti-wireless for anything streaming or gaming and as such I have offered up several alternatives to wireless to get your network throughout the house. One of these solutions uses Powerline Network Adapters aka HomePlugs.

Right now CompUSA has a VERY good price for a starter set of these network extenders. These are Dlink units and they have very good customer ratings and are 200mbps rated.

»www.compusa.com/applications/sea···700-6622
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

Johnboy58

join:2011-06-20
reply to BHNtechXpert

Hey ISPGeek,

I purchased these homeplugs today per your recommendation on pg 1...Thx buddy..

»www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline···3&sr=8-1

I got them to go along with my NFL Sunday Ticket subscription I purchased through my PS3.I was running wifi previously watching mlbtv using lightning 40/5 and I had a decent connection but when the NFL ST came out I want the best possible signal and went out and got these plugs at BB.

Running a speedtest through the PS3 browser I get up to 25mbps dn and 5mbps up, remember it has a G card.

I did not bother with the security settings as I live in a house.

Thanks again ispgeek...these work like a charm..

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Hey Johnboy!!

Glad to hear they worked out for ya. Now remember, you can add additional single homeplugs to that network up to about 8 of them so if you need to add additional devices that are consistency of speed bound it's easy and fairly cheap.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits
reply to BHNtechXpert

REMINDER TO EVERYONE ABOUT INTEGRATED MODEM/GATEWAYS

These devices are great if you are an average user and you..

1) Don't have a lot of router configuation experience or the desire to maintain your router on your own.

2) Rarely makes changes to your network configuration

3) Have no special port forwarding or constantly changing port forwarding needs

4) Don't use specialzed VPN and work at home services that may require special hardware/software configuration

5) Have basic wireless needs with a normal footprint/coverage area and no wireless impacting obstructions AND you are willing to accept the reasonable range impact on most all in one devices due to limitations that these devices have so that everything plays well together in close proximity.

6) You are not the kind of person who likes to have complete access to your router functions and likes to tinker to get that little extra ooomph from your hardware

IF you don't meet the above criteria then you need to consider bridging your modem and using your own dedicated router that meets or better yet exceeds your current and immediate future needs. If you need help picking the router that will be the best fit for you PLEASE ask me and I'll be happy to work with you.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by BHNtechXpert:

consider bridging your modem

I decided to get Lightning at home.

Can you say which modems BH is likely to use for Lightning, in our Tampa market?

And, buried in all these pages:
Do you have guides to converting these modems into dumb bridges?
(Some are pretty easy to figure out. However, others - like Westell - are a pain.)

BH had someone installing (what I think was a) trunk amplifier this morning and we got to talk for a few minutes.
He mentioned he was glad to replace (another) one of the old taps that TW installed in '02 - would like to seem them all swapped out.

I planned to be home for the installer tomorrow. However, I was called to a job so will have someone else present.
I'm running my own equipment (BSD router, etc), so will leave some notes for him.

NV
--
Adopting other people's animosity is The New Stupid.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Noah Vail:

said by BHNtechXpert:

consider bridging your modem

I decided to get Lightning at home.

Can you say which modems BH is likely to use for Lightning, in our Tampa market?

And, buried in all these pages:
Do you have guides to converting these modems into dumb bridges?
(Some are pretty easy to figure out. However, others - like Westell - are a pain.)

BH had someone installing (what I think was a) trunk amplifier this morning and we got to talk for a few minutes.
He mentioned he was glad to replace (another) one of the old taps that TW installed in '02 - would like to seem them all swapped out.

I planned to be home for the installer tomorrow. However, I was called to a job so will have someone else present.
I'm running my own equipment (BSD router, etc), so will leave some notes for him.

NV

You will likely get a Surfboard or Ubee. There are a few SMC's out there on the residential side but your chances of getting one are somewhere between getting struck by lightning (pardon the pun) and winning the lotto. Last time I checked they were being used exclusively for BC service. I still have mine (and I'm not parting with it lol).

Depending on the device you may need to call to have it bridged and once done it just works...no problems.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

Is Ubee.

I left a note for the installer to unhook most of my stuff and setup the modem like he wanted.

I did one speed test before I start reconfiguring everything and got 98%+ of adv speed.

Time to mess it all up.

NV
--

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
Lorton, VA
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

Here's an oddity. The installer left a note for me to not change my wireless key.
Any idea what that's about?

I assume the wireless goes bye-bye after the modem becomes a dumb bridge.
I'm still curious however.

Edit:Bridging is done. First speed test was tapping 50Mbs for a few seconds and finished w/ a 42Mbs.
All the rest have been 38-39/4.8-4.9

NV
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Noah Vail:

Here's an oddity. The installer left a note for me to not change my wireless key.
Any idea what that's about?

I assume the wireless goes bye-bye after the modem becomes a dumb bridge.
I'm still curious however.

NV

Yes you lose the wireless portion once you bridge...
--