Search similar:

uniqs
david6101
join:2006-09-07
Merritt Island, FL

david6101 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection

ISPGeek, thanks so much for your very useful and informative guides...just got Lightning installed in Merritt Island yesterday, and it is really CRAZY fast...easily doubles my Turbo dl speed on large files, especially when used with a download accelerator ( I use iGetter)...

My question is...what is the username and pw of the integrated router that's part of the Motorola SurfBoard system? The tech didn't give me that info (and I didn't ask...duh!), and I want to get on there and change WPA password, etc...

Thanks...and very happy with BrightHouse service!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by david6101:

ISPGeek, thanks so much for your very useful and informative guides...just got Lightning installed in Merritt Island yesterday, and it is really CRAZY fast...easily doubles my Turbo dl speed on large files, especially when used with a download accelerator ( I use iGetter)...

My question is...what is the username and pw of the integrated router that's part of the Motorola SurfBoard system? The tech didn't give me that info (and I didn't ask...duh!), and I want to get on there and change WPA password, etc...

Thanks...and very happy with BrightHouse service!
That you will need to call in for. I'm not sure what CFL decided to use as the default for their customers. Sorry I wish I could help on that one.

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I am a lightning user and I have the smc modem. I noticed today when I logged into the modem today there was an enable HNAP. Just curious as to what hnap is? Thanks
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by TURBO1112:

I am a lightning user and I have the smc modem. I noticed today when I logged into the modem today there was an enable HNAP. Just curious as to what hnap is? Thanks
HNAP (Home Network Administration Protocol)
HNAP can be implemented in network devices to allow configuration and management by remote entities, such as Network Magic or any other software application that discovers and manages network devices. By implementing HNAP in a device, manufacturers can ensure their devices are correctly identified and provide detailed information about the device. HNAP can be implemented in any network device, including PCs, routers, cameras, NAS, and media players.

HNAP is an HTTP-Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)-based protocol. Because the protocol is based on top of existing HTTP-SOAP standards, it is very flexible and easily extensible.

Benefits of implementing HNAP in network devices
There are three high level benefits to manufacturers for implementing HNAP in a network device:

Accurate Topology Discovery
A network device can accurately describe itself to applications that support HNAP and show detailed information about the device. A device can choose its type and subtype, define its iconic representation, and also expose properties such as model name, firmware version, and support contact information. This type of information is useful to consumers when managing their networks, and to support personnel when helping customers.

Automatic port mapping management
Network security with MAC filtering, WEP and WPA
Support for Network Magic's Net2Go
Router Setup, provisioning WAN and LAN interfaces, including advanced settings such as PPOE username/password
Add new devices to the network
Bandwidth monitoring

In order to really take advantage of it you will probably need something like Network Magic or similar. (dont bother paying money for this...it really isn't all that)

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112

Thanks man.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by TURBO1112:

Thanks man.
Anytime!
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

I'm waiting to see some of your questions before adding the last section...so post away

pjam32
@jray.com

pjam32

Anon

I just had RR Lightning installed in Longwood (Northeast Orlando), and I get the expected 40 down and 5 up when using speedtest.cfl.rr.com. I decided to use The Motorola modem/router/wap they supplied as my router.

I am having a strange issue however... I noticed that when I open multiple tabs in Firefox, Safari, or IE, the connection grinds to a halt. For example, I have a list of 10 bookmarked tech sites I visit each morning. When I open all in new tabs, the first two or three finish loading after a considerable delay, while the remaining 7-8 don't load at all and give a connection timeout.

If I open each tab individually, one after the other, they will load normally. VNC traffic and large downloads seem to be functioning normally as well.

Is there a strange setting in this Moto router that is causing this? or is this indicative of the service?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by pjam32 :

I just had RR Lightning installed in Longwood (Northeast Orlando), and I get the expected 40 down and 5 up when using speedtest.cfl.rr.com. I decided to use The Motorola modem/router/wap they supplied as my router.

I am having a strange issue however... I noticed that when I open multiple tabs in Firefox, Safari, or IE, the connection grinds to a halt. For example, I have a list of 10 bookmarked tech sites I visit each morning. When I open all in new tabs, the first two or three finish loading after a considerable delay, while the remaining 7-8 don't load at all and give a connection timeout.

If I open each tab individually, one after the other, they will load normally. VNC traffic and large downloads seem to be functioning normally as well.

Is there a strange setting in this Moto router that is causing this? or is this indicative of the service?
Not service related at all based on your description. I would suspect a system loading issue, hung application or tab or a process that has suddenly gone rogue and his chompin on resources at an extreme level.

pjam32
@jray.com

pjam32

Anon

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to try and isolate the problem, so I reset the Motorola back to factory defaults and deactivated features one by one. I found that my issue was being caused by a setting on the Firewall | Web Filter section of the configuration called IP Flood detection. It seems like the router thought I was self initiating a DoS attack on myself when opening multiple TCP connections at the same time (or something like that)

Anyway, turned it off and all is good. Great, in fact. Super fast speeds.

Thanks Again...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by pjam32 :

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to try and isolate the problem, so I reset the Motorola back to factory defaults and deactivated features one by one. I found that my issue was being caused by a setting on the Firewall | Web Filter section of the configuration called IP Flood detection. It seems like the router thought I was self initiating a DoS attack on myself when opening multiple TCP connections at the same time (or something like that)

Anyway, turned it off and all is good. Great, in fact. Super fast speeds.

Thanks Again...
That makes no sense at all. Flood detection is inbound not outbound. Very strange...so strange in fact it's worth looking into. Which modem do you have?

pjam32
@jray.com

pjam32

Anon

The modem Brighthouse brought me is the Motorola SBG6580. When I checked out the modem help page for the IP Flood detection, it says that the modem checks traffic originating on both the LAN and the WAN sides. I am planning on getting another router soon, so this is not so troubling to me at the moment. However...

I am now having a different issue with the modem. After approx. 5 minutes of usage, the modem stops passing WAN traffic to the modem. If I do a release and renew on the WAN address, the address is released, but not renewed. The only way to get the modem to connect is to power cycle it (both power and cable). When it comes back after the power cycle everything works fine for another 5 minutes or so then stops again.

All the while, the DL side power ranges from about -3 to -6 on each of the 4 channels, and the UL side power is 46-48 on each channel.

I have checked the log, and after the modem boots, there is a "Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type 17.8" message. About a minute later, there is a "Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request But No Unicast Maintenance Opportunities Received T4 Time Out" message. Finally, right at the time the internet traffic stops passing, there is an error called "Started Unicast Maintenance ranging - No Response Received - T3 Time Out"

I have an appointment set up with Brighthouse on Thursday...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by pjam32 :

The modem Brighthouse brought me is the Motorola SBG6580. When I checked out the modem help page for the IP Flood detection, it says that the modem checks traffic originating on both the LAN and the WAN sides. I am planning on getting another router soon, so this is not so troubling to me at the moment. However...

I am now having a different issue with the modem. After approx. 5 minutes of usage, the modem stops passing WAN traffic to the modem. If I do a release and renew on the WAN address, the address is released, but not renewed. The only way to get the modem to connect is to power cycle it (both power and cable). When it comes back after the power cycle everything works fine for another 5 minutes or so then stops again.

All the while, the DL side power ranges from about -3 to -6 on each of the 4 channels, and the UL side power is 46-48 on each channel.

I have checked the log, and after the modem boots, there is a "Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type 17.8" message. About a minute later, there is a "Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request But No Unicast Maintenance Opportunities Received T4 Time Out" message. Finally, right at the time the internet traffic stops passing, there is an error called "Started Unicast Maintenance ranging - No Response Received - T3 Time Out"

I have an appointment set up with Brighthouse on Thursday...
Passing WAN traffic to the modem? And you think this because? I'm assuming it's because you can still use your local network yet no connection to the internet. Is this correct? That of course is only a symptom of the real problem. If you are able to release but not renew an IP address this is an issue with either the modem or signal coming to the modem itself. Forget the logs (in fact all you log jockeys....stop!!!! They are meaningless for most problems and all they will do is drive you and me nuts). It's good that you booked a trouble call because that's what you need.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

2 edits

weaseled386 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I'm up and running on Lightning, and let me tell you.... the speed is RETARDED! I don't mean in the short bus way either! It wasn't without its bumps tho......

The technician was nice, but -- with this being the first day -- was a little unprepared. He said they walked in this morning, and had a crash course on the install. His supervisor thought the modems were supposed to have 1 green LED with 3 blues, and sent the guy on a wild goose chase. After some iPhone reading I told him thats incorrect. I hesitated, but asked one final question: can you please put it in bridge mode? He grimiced a little, but we worked on it.

They do NOT make it easy to get into the SBG6580's! The PW is different for every user, and from the looks of it changes. You actually have to log into a Tampa server, and depending on user name selected, spits out a PW you copy and paste. After 30 minutes he figured it out, and we got wireless shut down. Neither of us were sure what else to do, so I let him head to his next job.

Now I hook the BHN router up to my DGL-4500. It comes back with an error saying there is an IP conflict, and disabled internet access. The only way to get to the outside world was to connect one computer directly to the BHN modem. I called tech support, and the first guy I got a hold of wouldn't bridge it, because the order was still open. He said I'd have to call back in 12 hours. I hung up with him, and called back. This time I got a guy who was MUCH more helpful. I logged into the BHN router, with the password he provided me. We had to disable DHCP, and NAT (there was an extra letter in there, but forget what it was). After that I'm up and running perfectly.

As for speedtests? I have no idea. On the BHN site I'm getting 40M to 711M down and 4.8M up. For some reason the DL speedtests have ALWAYS been skewed on my current config.

So the moral of the story is: If you get a tech who won't work with you hang up! Call back immediately, and the next tech may walk you thru it with no hastles.

Edit: The conflict issue may be unique to ppl using 192.168.0.x for their devices. The Motorola uses that as default too.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by weaseled386:

I'm up and running on Lightning, and let me tell you.... the speed is RETARDED! I don't mean in the short bus way either! It wasn't without its bumps tho......

The technician was nice, but -- with this being the first day -- was a little unprepared. He said they walked in this morning, and had a crash course on the install. His supervisor thought the modems were supposed to have 1 green LED with 3 blues, and sent the guy on a wild goose chase. After some iPhone reading I told him thats incorrect. I hesitated, but asked one final question: can you please put it in bridge mode? He grimiced a little, but we worked on it.

They do NOT make it easy to get into the SBG6580's! The PW is different for every user, and from the looks of it changes. You actually have to log into a Tampa server, and depending on user name selected, spits out a PW you copy and paste. After 30 minutes he figured it out, and we got wireless shut down. Neither of us were sure what else to do, so I let him head to his next job.

Now I hook the BHN router up to my DGL-4500. It comes back with an error saying there is an IP conflict, and disabled internet access. The only way to get to the outside world was to connect one computer directly to the BHN modem. I called tech support, and the first guy I got a hold of wouldn't bridge it, because the order was still open. He said I'd have to call back in 12 hours. I hung up with him, and called back. This time I got a guy who was MUCH more helpful. I logged into the BHN router, with the password he provided me. We had to disable DHCP, and NAT (there was an extra letter in there, but forget what it was). After that I'm up and running perfectly.

As for speedtests? I have no idea. On the BHN site I'm getting 40M to 711M down and 4.8M up. For some reason the DL speedtests have ALWAYS been skewed on my current config.

So the moral of the story is: If you get a tech who won't work with you hang up! Call back immediately, and the next tech may walk you thru it with no hastles.

Edit: The conflict issue may be unique to ppl using 192.168.0.x for their devices. The Motorola uses that as default too.
With the SB you may very well be able to disable the router portion yourself. I know the SMC's you can't and therefore it will have to be bridged. As for your "The speed is retarded" statement what the heck is that about? The rest of your story has nothing to do with the speeds.

The moral of your story should be if you get an unhelpful tech take rep ids, call back and ask to speak to a supervisor immediately. You should NEVER be treated rudely under any circumstances and blv me it's not tolerated.

Soo today we learn something...since there appears to be a difference in the modems I'll get the guide updated and add the additional information needed in the troubleshooting section to be added shortly.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Confirmed!! The SB6580 does not require a call into support to be placed into bridge mode. If you have problems let me know. I'll get the guide here updated as well.
bysin6
join:2004-01-03
Maitland, FL

1 edit

bysin6

said by BHNtechXpert:

Confirmed!! The SB6580 does not require a call into support to be placed into bridge mode. If you have problems let me know. I'll get the guide here updated as well.
I just realized this too.. The tech that came and setup the modem, then gave me a user/pass for the modem (»192.168.0.1 user admin pass ******). Once logged in, you disable "NAPT mode" under the Basic tab. And disable "Primary Network" under the Wireless tab. Then restart your modem like 6-7 times. That's it.

Also I didn't have any of the issues weaseled386 had. I don't understand what went wrong there, but the brighthouse tech was at my house no longer then 10 minutes. He basically swapped out the modem and had me sign.

I'm getting 39 mbit download and 4.9 mbit upload. Very pleased.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by weaseled386:

I'm up and running on Lightning, and let me tell you.... the speed is RETARDED! I don't mean in the short bus way either!
As for your "The speed is retarded" statement what the heck is that about? The rest of your story has nothing to do with the speeds.
Read the full sentence. The "I don't mean it in the short bus way either" makes that statement good... not bad. The entire post is my experience from start to end. I said it was quick, I said there were a few bumps and I said I'm up and running fine. Not sure what else you expected?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by weaseled386:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by weaseled386:

I'm up and running on Lightning, and let me tell you.... the speed is RETARDED! I don't mean in the short bus way either!
As for your "The speed is retarded" statement what the heck is that about? The rest of your story has nothing to do with the speeds.
Read the full sentence. The "I don't mean it in the short bus way either" makes that statement good... not bad. The entire post is my experience from start to end. I said it was quick, I said there were a few bumps and I said I'm up and running fine. Not sure what else you expected?
Naw I just didn't understand your statement and still after re-reading it again...still seems out of sorts but if you say its good ok....just an odd way of putting it
QubeIt
join:2010-09-20

QubeIt to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Could you point me in the right direction so that I can gain access to the router settings or place this modem into bridge mode? I have called their tech support line 3 times and no one seems to know what to do.

I already did a hard reset on the device and tried the default Motorola user name and password for the SBG6580 (obtained from their site »broadband.motorola.com/c ··· uide.pdf) but that was unsuccesful. My assumption is that BH has reset the Motorola factory defaults to their own.

One of the technicians I spoke to told me to do a hard reset on the device and that "factory default" user name was admin, while the password he gave me was the same exact password for my wireless SSID security. Well, that didn't work either.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by QubeIt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Could you point me in the right direction so that I can gain access to the router settings or place this modem into bridge mode? I have called their tech support line 3 times and no one seems to know what to do.

I already did a hard reset on the device and tried the default Motorola user name and password for the SBG6580 (obtained from their site »broadband.motorola.com/c ··· uide.pdf) but that was unsuccesful. My assumption is that BH has reset the Motorola factory defaults to their own.

One of the technicians I spoke to told me to do a hard reset on the device and that "factory default" user name was admin, while the password he gave me was the same exact password for my wireless SSID security. Well, that didn't work either.
If you have the surfboard d3 modem you can actually do it yourself. You have access to the modem admin console I assume based on your post above.

Login into your modem.

Click on Wireless (Top Menu)

Click on Primary Network

Disable Wireless then click Apply

Click on Basic (Top Menu)

Change NAPT mode to Disabled

Click Apply

The modem will now reboot and should be in bridged mode. If you still have problems holler at me anytime.

Richard R
Kissimmee, FL

Richard R

Well I've been up and running for a while, and I'm pretty happy with everything.

The tech that came out was super nice and apparently had to come down my way all the way from north east orlando, so I thanked him again and again for that. He got everything going and did some testing on my lines and apparently I was +10db over normal acceptable ranges, so he threw a splitter or some other device on there that brought it down to normal range. So he got everything set up and put me into bridged mode because I already have a WRT-54G set up with another Linksys in the living room bridged wirelessly so I can have the components in my entertainment center (tv, western digital tv, htpc/boxee and acer easyStore) hooked up on a wired connection since they all share data between one another and it'll be faster.

So after realizing that my whole network was limited to Wireless-G, he went ahead and unbridged the modem and I got what I could online, did some tests and was running about 17-20mbps through wireless - which was about 4x as fast as before (my "turbo" maxed out around 5mbps) - Then I decided to run to Best Buy to buy a Wireless-N router that would be able to handle the higher throughput.

After getting home and unboxing, setting up and rewiring, I get into this new routers admin area only to find out that I can not bridge it wirelessly with the surfboard modem, there went $160 -- So I gotta go back to BB tomorrow and pick up a Linksys Wireless-N bridge to put in the living room while the new fancy router (Linksys E3000) is going in the office and the Motorola Surfboard modem is going back into bridged mode.

All in all I'd say I'm pretty happy, I did the 3x tests on speedtest.cfl.rr.com and averaged out to about 25mbps download and just under 5mbps upload.. so perhaps there's some traffic in my area or that +10db is more of an issue than I thought. Once I get my new network setup going I'll plugin to the new router and check my speeds, but as for now I'm happy with what I've got and am excited to see what kinda fun stuff I can get into with this blazing fast internet.

Great guide, ispgeek! Thanks for taking the time to write this up. :]
QubeIt

QubeIt to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you have the surfboard d3 modem you can actually do it yourself. You have access to the modem admin console I assume based on your post above.

Login into your modem...
My apologies. I actually don't have access to the admin console through the modem. That's what I've been trying to do through Brighthouse tech support: get the credentials so that I can get access.

If I did have access, I would probably just change the IP Address range since that's all I really want to do anyway. If it was bridged, then that would also solve the problem because I already have my previous router set up the way I need it. Either way, I need the "launch codes" (a.k.a. user name and password) for the modem itself.

Thanks for the response!!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by QubeIt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Login into your modem...
My apologies. I actually don't have access to the admin console through the modem. That's what I've been trying to do through Brighthouse tech support: get the credentials so that I can get access.

If I did have access, I would probably just change the IP Address range since that's all I really want to do anyway. If it was bridged, then that would also solve the problem because I already have my previous router set up the way I need it. Either way, I need the "launch codes" (a.k.a. user name and password) for the modem itself.

Thanks for the response!!
If you call them again, make sure you are speaking to your local office and they can give you that information. The National Help Desk can't give it to you however your local office can. Unfortunately I can't help you on that one.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Richard R

Premium Member

to Richard R
said by Richard R:

Well I've been up and running for a while, and I'm pretty happy with everything.

The tech that came out was super nice and apparently had to come down my way all the way from north east orlando, so I thanked him again and again for that. He got everything going and did some testing on my lines and apparently I was +10db over normal acceptable ranges, so he threw a splitter or some other device on there that brought it down to normal range. So he got everything set up and put me into bridged mode because I already have a WRT-54G set up with another Linksys in the living room bridged wirelessly so I can have the components in my entertainment center (tv, western digital tv, htpc/boxee and acer easyStore) hooked up on a wired connection since they all share data between one another and it'll be faster.

So after realizing that my whole network was limited to Wireless-G, he went ahead and unbridged the modem and I got what I could online, did some tests and was running about 17-20mbps through wireless - which was about 4x as fast as before (my "turbo" maxed out around 5mbps) - Then I decided to run to Best Buy to buy a Wireless-N router that would be able to handle the higher throughput.

After getting home and unboxing, setting up and rewiring, I get into this new routers admin area only to find out that I can not bridge it wirelessly with the surfboard modem, there went $160 -- So I gotta go back to BB tomorrow and pick up a Linksys Wireless-N bridge to put in the living room while the new fancy router (Linksys E3000) is going in the office and the Motorola Surfboard modem is going back into bridged mode.

All in all I'd say I'm pretty happy, I did the 3x tests on speedtest.cfl.rr.com and averaged out to about 25mbps download and just under 5mbps upload.. so perhaps there's some traffic in my area or that +10db is more of an issue than I thought. Once I get my new network setup going I'll plugin to the new router and check my speeds, but as for now I'm happy with what I've got and am excited to see what kinda fun stuff I can get into with this blazing fast internet.

Great guide, ispgeek! Thanks for taking the time to write this up. :]
Glad to hear it!! Now remember don't test your speeds wirelessly to see if you are getting your proper 40/5. Always do that on a wired connection. Now with your PC directly connected to the modem you should see 38-40 down and 4.88 up. If you are only seeing 25mbps hard wired to the modem then you probably have whats known as a 10/100 ethernet adapter in your pc and that needs to change to a gigabit lan adapter. That will solve that problem unless there is a signal issue and I doubt that given what you've told me so far. Let me know if ya need help.
QubeIt

QubeIt to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you call them again, make sure you are speaking to your local office and they can give you that information. The National Help Desk can't give it to you however your local office can. Unfortunately I can't help you on that one.
Finally got someone that knew where to look to gain access to the Motorola modem. He gave me the user name and password and all is right with the world now.

Thanks again!!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by QubeIt:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Finally got someone that knew where to look to gain access to the Motorola modem. He gave me the user name and password and all is right with the world now.

Thanks again!!
Anytime!

Richard R
Kissimmee, FL

Richard R

Well unfortunately I've been having quite a few issues with this modem using it as a wireless router. I am hoping that when I buy the Wireless-N Bridge that this will go away.

The issues I am having are my internet randomly dropping (my network card shows I'm still connected wirelessly, but there's no internet active) so I'll do a hard reset on the modem and the wireless is turned off by default? I've had to re-enable my wireless multiple times.

This morning after waking up I noticed that my wireless has disappeared again, so I plug directly into the modem and see that on the "Basic Network" tab the wireless is actually disabled? Something is causing it to do it on its own because I'm definitely not changing anything.

Anyone else having similar issues? The modem just seems to be very unstable.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
What exactly would a gigabit lan card do for anyone that a 10/100 card cant do? i mean really the service that BHN is providing is not even half of the maximum throughput of a 10/100 ethernet card. This is pure FUD dude! Even if someone put a gigabit card in their machine, does the supplied modem have a gigabit port on it? Or is the rest of the users network gigabit? If not that new gigabit card is worthless!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

What exactly would a gigabit lan card do for anyone that a 10/100 card cant do? i mean really the service that BHN is providing is not even half of the maximum throughput of a 10/100 ethernet card. This is pure FUD dude! Even if someone put a gigabit card in their machine, does the supplied modem have a gigabit port on it? Or is the rest of the users network gigabit? If not that new gigabit card is worthless!
With all due respect I've found that MANY supposedly 10/100 adapters failed to perform anywhere near their specifications topping out right at about 26mbps when used with Lightning. Change to a gigabit adapter and the problem goes away. This isn't something I pulled out of the southern end of a northbound horse..this is reality.

You certainly don't have to follow the advice. Nobody is forcing you to. Not all 10/100 adapters will exhibit the problem but a significant number have so the advice is warranted and based experience driven fact.

And you had your Lightning installed when?