All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
moe300
join:2001-06-30
Iowa City, IA

moe300

Keep Mediacom email addresses when cancelling service?

I am canceling my service after 9 years. Mediacom in no way wants to keep me as a customer. I have had 4 mchsi email addresses for a very long time. Does anyone know of a way I can keep my mchsi email addresses temporarily after canceling? I will be happy to pay for the privilege which is no biggie since they nickel and dime for everything else anyway. Tech support has been no help. I would like to keep the addresses for just a few months until I get everything transferred to gmail. I thought maybe Bainch or someone would know of any options. I do have some friends that are mediacom internet subscribers that don't use their allotted email accounts so I wondered if I could transfer mine over to their account as a last resort?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

I would start transferring your email before you cancel.
hifilistener8
join:2008-04-08
Minneapolis, MN

hifilistener8 to moe300

to moe300
When I canceled service I was told that the e-mail would remain open for a week or two. Before switching providers I did switch all of my important e-mail, however.

If you use the Mediacom Web mail you may want to download all of the e-mail into a local e-mail client (Outlook, Essentials Mail, Mac Mail, etc.) so that you have an archive of all the old mail.

You can also use Gmail's feature to download your old Mediacom e-mail and contacts into G-mail.

Good Luck!

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer to moe300

Premium Member

to moe300
I know at least one person who claim to have dropped Mediacom a year or two ago and they still use their mchsi.com e-mail address!

I'm always shocked to get a message from them.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to moe300

Premium Member

to moe300
Register your own domain and pay for an email hosting service. It's cheap. I've done it that way for years. You can move all you want and not worry about losing your email. Plus it's better than gmail because with your own domain you can have several addresses. Every time I need to enter an email address into a website I use a custom email address. Example: DSLR@mydomain.com. Now if I start getting spam at a specific email address I know which website sold my info, and then I trash that email address.
RouterReload
join:2008-09-02

RouterReload to moe300

to moe300
It "should" delete your address and your email immediately. They do audits on their email system frequently is what I was told. It deletes thousands every audit apparently. So it's hit or miss, so plan for the worse if you cancel and still have emails you want.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to moe300

Premium Member

to moe300
Moe,
For your particular issue, your email address will not remain on after disconnect. There is no service fee available to keep just your email address on. Hif and TheGeek's recommendations are the best ideas: download your email to a client, use a 3rd party service such as gmail or yahoo to download your email to their box, or setup a branded email service through your own domain and pull the email in that way.

Regarding the email accounts that stayed open for long periods of time:

In previous years, disconnects were not sent to the email system automatically, and audits were not done as frequently due to the nature of the system. Things have changed over the last year, and we are now auditing batches of email accounts every few weeks now to disable old accounts. Some accounts left active accidentally may not be found immediately, since we are doing these in batches, but once the full audit is complete, email accounts which are no longer linked to an active billing account will be disabled. We are sending out an email to those affected by these particular audits with their options for retaining the email address.
moe300
Iowa City, IA

moe300

Thanks for all the replies. I have been gradually switching all my stuff over to gmail anway. My wife is the one that was depending on the mediacom email. After the whole zimbra screwup last winter I decided to start switching over.

I am just fed up with mediacom offering all the "new" customers internet for half what I pay (I had been a customer for 9 years). In fact, when I asked them about it they said "well you have ONLY been a customer for 9 years). That pretty much sealed the deal for me. I will switch to something else, and get the new subscriber deal and then after a year, switch again. I see the college kids here doing it every year anyway during apartment turnover. They switch addresses, switch names on the acct etc, and get the new subscriber deals for a year. I can live with dsl for a year.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970

I would think if you have been with them for 9 years, theyd want to keep your business, usually theyll offer you a cut rate , if your going to switch, when i changed tv or rather was gonna drop a lot of premium channels they gave them to me nearly for free for 6 months. But that was when i had tv and internet with them. eventually i did drop tv
moe300
Iowa City, IA

moe300

said by Boss302_1970:

I would think if you have been with them for 9 years, theyd want to keep your business, usually theyll offer you a cut rate , if your going to switch, when i changed tv or rather was gonna drop a lot of premium channels they gave them to me nearly for free for 6 months. But that was when i had tv and internet with them. eventually i did drop tv
A few years ago when I was going to cancel HBO/Stars, they gave it to me free for 6 months.

It's all good now... I canceled and it felt good to tell them to shove it. Email addresses are still working too!