how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ThePanda

join:2005-12-16
Little Rock, AR

SB6120 must be rebooted every 10-12 hours

As the subject says, my SB6120 (no more than a month out of the box) has to be manually rebooted every 10-12 hours otherwise my connection slows to a crawl. Over the past week I've been noticing slowdown at regular intervals, every time the solution was simply to reboot the modem.

I'm currently receiving 22/4 tiered speeds from comcast, and after a reboot, I achieve those speeds and more (speed tests show 22/9) for a good 3 or 4 hours. After that the slowdown begins. Once I hit the 10-12 hour mark, my connection is either testing at 1/1 or 5/5, or not even loading web pages at all.

At this point I reboot the modem (plug pull and through the web interface methods both work), wait for it to reconnect, and run a test. Suddenly, I'm back up to appropriate speeds!

Having to do this every day is getting old. Did my SB6120 go bad or is comcast to blame?

Modem info:
Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: 317001016901674205040011
Firmware Build Time: Apr 6 2010 16:34:56

tirebiter

join:2002-02-16
Champaign, IL
Have you ruled out a thermal issue, i.e., is the modem clear of other heat-producing components and does it have plenty of ventilation?

I have an SB6120 with Comcast and it's rock solid. It too is pretty new.

ThePanda

Little Rock, AR
The modem doesn't feel hot to the touch. It basically sits on a wooden table by itself save for my printer. The only way I could imagine it running cooler would be to point a fan at it.

It was perfectly stable until about a week ago.

ThePanda

Little Rock, AR
Just had to reboot again because I was testing around 8Mb/s down. Seems like it's taking less and less time to slow down.

AuBadge

join:2010-06-27
Antioch, TN
reply to ThePanda
Might as well go ahead and post your signals; someone's probably going to want to see them.

ThePanda

Little Rock, AR

After 11 hours

Click for full size
Signals
Sure enough, 11 hours after the last reboot I run another test and I get what you see in attachment 1. Upload is fine so far, but download has been cut in half.

Signals provided as well.

AuBadge

join:2010-06-27
Antioch, TN
reply to ThePanda
By any chance, have you called your provider to find out if the correct config file is being loaded for your modem? I had a similar issue recently, and just wondered.

ThePanda

Little Rock, AR
Just confirmed that they have the correct modem on file, everything checked out except for my upstream power level being over spec (hovering around 55-56) all of a sudden. Have a tech scheduled for Tuesday.

Problem is, after another reboot of the modem my speeds are back up to where they should be. I'm thinking this is a problem with the modem. Is Motorola any help (i.e.- can I contact their support department by phone) or am I dealing with the retailer on this one?

dslcreature
Premium
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA
reply to ThePanda
What if instead of rebooting the modem you pull the ethernet cable wait two minutes and plug it back in?

ThePanda

Little Rock, AR
Same result, unfortunately. Considering some of the negative reviews I'm seeing regarding Motorola support, I might be RMA'ing this one (picked it up on newegg, so I should be fine).

dslcreature
Premium
Seattle, WA
By same result are you saying its still slow after you disconnect the ethernet cable (It doesn't help) or is the result the same as unplugging the modem where it works for a while and then becomes slow?

ThePanda

Little Rock, AR
Same result as unplugging/rebooting from the web interface and it resolves the speed issue, and then slows down later in the day.

I'm beginning to think this modem is on its way out. Now reboots are only getting me back up to 17 down (as opposed to the 22 I'm provisioned for). I'll be submitting my RMA request to newegg, but seeing as they have none in stock I don't know if I'll even have a shot at getting a replacement.

dslcreature
Premium
Seattle, WA
If this is the case my guess is that its not the cable modem. In my view it is more likely to be an ethernet or host issue.

I would download wireshark sniffer (www.wireshark.org) and see if there is anything weird (excessive data when you are not doing anything to cause it) going on over the network when you have the speed problem.

Unplugging ethernet may well be having the effect of resetting network sessions that may be consuming your bandwidth without your knowledge.

Would also open up a command prompt and run netstat -e to see if there are excessive errors or discards for the ethernet which may reflect a handshake or cable problem between the modem and your computer. If there are significant numbers of errors that keep rising when the problem occurs I recommend replacing the ethernet cable and making sure you have the latest network drivers installed on your PC. If there are still issues try forcing the network speed between computer and modem to 100 mbit.

roxlo

join:2010-10-28
reply to ThePanda
I have the EXACT same problem as you. Did you ever get it resolved? This is really annoying.