Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

SB6120 logging lost after 1.0.3.0 update

I am wondering how many or if all people have partially lost log function after the latest update.

Before the update I could see all "info" including what config file was downloaded but now only "critical" info is logged and nothing is logged during reboot.

If anyone wants to test this out please do the following:

Go to Configuration page and Reset All Defaults

Reason for this is it will also clear the log

Click on Restart Cable Modem and immediately go to the Log page before modem starts to reboot so you can keep refreshing the page and monitor the boot.

See if you see any entries during reboot pertaining to config file downloaded or other "info" entries.

Thanks

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
I've been running this for a couple of months:

Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0

And I've had logging all along.

--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to KevTech
said by KevTech:

Before the update I could see all "info" including what config file was downloaded but now only "critical" info is logged and nothing is logged during reboot.
Same here. Had this version for a couple of months now and it no longer shows the bootfile or some other entries as well.

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to ctgreybeard
Have you tried the test I posted?

catnapped197

join:2010-01-07
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to KevTech
I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like hitting both of those buttons even hard-resets it. At least with the 5101 you could use a command prompt to invoke Curl (need the program) and force it to hard reset.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to KevTech
said by KevTech:

Have you tried the test I posted?
No I have not but as I was having connection problems a couple of weeks ago the modem has reset several times. And, frankly, I don't want to mess with it as all is very solid right now.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to EG
said by EG:

Same here. Had this version for a couple of months now and it no longer shows the bootfile or some other entries as well.
I personally find this unacceptable on Comcasts part. Sure they can do this to rented modems as the modem is still their equipment but this is my personally owned equipment.

Comcast says we (customers) can not tamper with their equipment so I feel Comcast does not have the right to tamper with mine. They have the right to update the firmware to fix bugs or improve performance but not disable features that by default were enabled when I purchased the modem.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
Not that I want to get into this discussion again on here, but Motorola makes and designs the firmware, not comcast.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA

1 edit
said by beachintech:

Not that I want to get into this discussion again on here, but Motorola makes and designs the firmware, not comcast.
After a long search I finally found the consumer support number and then I spoke to a technician at Motorola this morning by phone for almost 30 minutes. I was told that ISP's have the right to modify the firmware for their particular system.

That they (Motorola) release the firmware in a basic state to ISP's who can change certain things in that firmware if they desire as long as it does not affect what the firmware fixed or improved.

Kinda like Nvidia or ATI release Bios updates and then individual companies modify that Bios for the way they want the card to run.

I was also told that if there is a bug (which this may be) in the firmware that they (Motorola) would have to be told about it by ISP's to fix it.

I really do not care if it was Comcast or Motorola I just want my modem back to the condition it was in before this update.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
I wouldn't hold your breath. There really is no real reason for a customer to have access to anything in the log.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to KevTech
said by KevTech:

said by beachintech:

I really do not care if it was Comcast or Motorola I just want my modem back to the condition it was in before this update.
Spilt milk, it's gone.
Expand your moderator at work

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:107
reply to KevTech

Re: SB6120 logging lost after 1.0.3.0 update

said by KevTech:

I was also told that if there is a bug (which this may be) in the firmware that they (Motorola) would have to be told about it by ISP's to fix it.

Maybe it will be fixed in a newer release but you'll have to sit tight until Moto delivers it.

Check out all the bugs they've fixed so far....

»/r0/dow···CM03.pdf

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
said by netcool:

Maybe it will be fixed in a newer release but you'll have to sit tight until Moto delivers it.
Actually this is all this post was about.

Motorola told me to see if others are affected and what does my ISP say about the issue.

If I cannot get this resolved through my ISP then they (Motorola) may send me the original image to flash to see if it solves the problem as models are about to start shipping with this version.

If it does then they (Motorola) would know it is not a bug in the original firmware.

Since it would be the same version number my modem would not be "pushed" with the Comcast firmware.

lostboy8

join:2005-02-20
reply to KevTech
I have this exact problem too. It doesn't show which config file was downloaded in the logs, only critical info like the modem was rebooted or power resetted etc. But I don't know if this is a new thing or not because I just got the modem a few days ago so this is the only firmware I have known so far.

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
said by lostboy8:

I have this exact problem too. It doesn't show which config file was downloaded in the logs, only critical info like the modem was rebooted or power resetted etc. But I don't know if this is a new thing or not because I just got the modem a few days ago so this is the only firmware I have known so far.
I just purchased mine yesterday but I have returned two of them while conducting these tests. I had to find out what version the modem(s) came with and if the log worked before the firmware push.

When I first plugged in the modem without the coax connected I saw version 1.0.1.8 and log worked but soon after you connect the coax the firmware will be pushed.

Before the push I saw everything in the log including download init and download of the walledgarden.cfg file.

After the update nothing unless it is critical.

So, three out of three modems the log stopped after the firmware was updated.

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

I wouldn't hold your breath. There really is no real reason for a customer to have access to anything in the log.
This is not about whether or not it is deemed necessary.

It is about either a bug or an intentional disabling of a feature of the modem.

Tell me this...Say you bought something because of ALL the features the product had advertised. You liked to use ALL the features but then one of the features that YOU paid for was taken away without asking you if it was OK to remove that feature.

What would you do?

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to KevTech
The only time mine has ever showed the config file was rt after the firmware update and I could really careless if I ever see it again because I can't do anything with it legally.I guess I could check to make sure it was still there every once in awhile but naaaah I am only concerned with the logs that tell me something is screwing up.The uncorrectable codewords now I am just curious about,but nobody seems to actually know what they mean other than opinions.I was told the correctable codewords meant noise but thats not a fact that I know of.I sure seem to get alot of them during the day but my connection seems fine thats why I am curious is to what exactly they mean??????????????

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to KevTech
said by KevTech:

said by beachintech:

After a long search I finally found the consumer support number and then I spoke to a technician at Motorola this morning by phone for almost 30 minutes. I was told that ISP's have the right to modify the firmware for their particular system.
Tech support was wrong about ISPs modifying the firmware.

...but ISPs can configure available modem options through config files and SNMP.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:107
said by DrDrew:

...but ISPs can configure available modem options through config files and SNMP.
Agreed. About the only Comcast does once they receive the firmware is sign it and thats about it.

There are vendor specific TLVs that can be manipulated in the DOCSIS config files as well, that enable/disable features such as telnet/web access.

You could always ask in the Cox, Charter or Cablevision forums to see if users there are experiencing similar issues with the "SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH" version of firmware.

TI recently updated their base code again so we should see some new firmware very soon on the 6120.

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to KevTech
Solved through Motorola.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
And the solution was??? Pretty lame to just state it's solved.

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to KevTech
Part of the solution was not saying anything else.

sorry

All I can say is read one of previous posts where I mention them.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
Ahh, I see. So they sent you something to flash your modem back to the original firmware, but it has the newer firmware number.

So your really running the old buggy firmware with a shiny new name? What happens next time Comcast pushes a newer firmware?
Nevermind if your happy, we're happy, have a good one.

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
said by mustang50:

Ahh, I see. So they sent you something to flash your modem back to the original firmware, but it has the newer firmware number.

So your really running the old buggy firmware with a shiny new name? What happens next time Comcast pushes a newer firmware?
Nevermind if your happy, we're happy, have a good one.
I have:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: ©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©
Firmware Build Time: Apr 6 2010 16:34:56

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX
They probably just sent him the latest FW without any comcast settings. Mustang46 is right though... next time comcast pushes an update it will get overridden.

I would think comcast has a right to a certain extent to control how some hardware is configured on their network. Not saying that disabling logging is correct, but they should be able to change settings to provide a stable environment.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to KevTech
If your interested in seeing the config file in a DOCSIS 3 modem, see my post on the Zoom 5341 D3 modem.It shows the config file on one of the pages. »I just installed the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3 modem

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
Am I missing something here ? How does just logging into the modem's U.I. enable seeing the naming convention of the bootfile among the error log entries if it has been disabled by the firmware ?

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

Sorry but you are incorrect as below is the first response (before I found a tech that would help me) from Motorola. As you can see he talks about the ISP having the ability to modify the firmware.

quote:
Thank you for contacting Motorola Technical Support. I understand that you are unable to view the log information unless a critical error is thrown. I apologize for any inconvenience and I am happy to provide information about this.

I am not aware of any bugs with the firmware released to your ISP for your SB6120. The log and firmware can be modified by your ISP if they deem fit for the network itself. In general, the logs are meant for network engineers and ISP technicians to assist in there troubleshooting of possible issues on the modem and the line in general. We do send out the firmware to the cable providers to implement on their network, but they do have the ability to modify this information as they see fit.

I do apologize for any possible inconvenience, but if the ISP updated to a modified firmware then it will be as such, as they do control all aspects of the firmware and the implementation/modification of such on the network.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

2 edits
Msg odog see what he says.

But you'd figure if ISPs could modify the firmware.... they'd be renaming it so they'd know their version vs. the modem makers version.

So I stand by what I said. ISPs can't modify firmware, but they can configure the options available on it through config files and SNMP.