Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to Devious

Premium Member

to Devious

Re: SB6120 logging lost after 1.0.3.0 update

said by Devious:

Before the update I could see all "info" including what config file was downloaded but now only "critical" info is logged and nothing is logged during reboot.
Same here. Had this version for a couple of months now and it no longer shows the bootfile or some other entries as well.

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

said by EG:

Same here. Had this version for a couple of months now and it no longer shows the bootfile or some other entries as well.
I personally find this unacceptable on Comcasts part. Sure they can do this to rented modems as the modem is still their equipment but this is my personally owned equipment.

Comcast says we (customers) can not tamper with their equipment so I feel Comcast does not have the right to tamper with mine. They have the right to update the firmware to fix bugs or improve performance but not disable features that by default were enabled when I purchased the modem.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Not that I want to get into this discussion again on here, but Motorola makes and designs the firmware, not comcast.

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

Devious

Premium Member

said by beachintech:

Not that I want to get into this discussion again on here, but Motorola makes and designs the firmware, not comcast.
After a long search I finally found the consumer support number and then I spoke to a technician at Motorola this morning by phone for almost 30 minutes. I was told that ISP's have the right to modify the firmware for their particular system.

That they (Motorola) release the firmware in a basic state to ISP's who can change certain things in that firmware if they desire as long as it does not affect what the firmware fixed or improved.

Kinda like Nvidia or ATI release Bios updates and then individual companies modify that Bios for the way they want the card to run.

I was also told that if there is a bug (which this may be) in the firmware that they (Motorola) would have to be told about it by ISP's to fix it.

I really do not care if it was Comcast or Motorola I just want my modem back to the condition it was in before this update.

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

I wouldn't hold your breath. There really is no real reason for a customer to have access to anything in the log.

Canezoid
End of line
join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA

2 edits

Canezoid to Devious

to Devious
said by Devious:

said by beachintech:

I really do not care if it was Comcast or Motorola I just want my modem back to the condition it was in before this update.
Spilt milk, it's gone.
Expand your moderator at work

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool to Devious

Premium Member

to Devious

Re: SB6120 logging lost after 1.0.3.0 update

said by Devious:

I was also told that if there is a bug (which this may be) in the firmware that they (Motorola) would have to be told about it by ISP's to fix it.

Maybe it will be fixed in a newer release but you'll have to sit tight until Moto delivers it.

Check out all the bugs they've fixed so far....

»text.broadbandreports.co ··· CM03.pdf

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

said by netcool:

Maybe it will be fixed in a newer release but you'll have to sit tight until Moto delivers it.
Actually this is all this post was about.

Motorola told me to see if others are affected and what does my ISP say about the issue.

If I cannot get this resolved through my ISP then they (Motorola) may send me the original image to flash to see if it solves the problem as models are about to start shipping with this version.

If it does then they (Motorola) would know it is not a bug in the original firmware.

Since it would be the same version number my modem would not be "pushed" with the Comcast firmware.
Devious

Devious to beachintech

Premium Member

to beachintech
said by beachintech:

I wouldn't hold your breath. There really is no real reason for a customer to have access to anything in the log.
This is not about whether or not it is deemed necessary.

It is about either a bug or an intentional disabling of a feature of the modem.

Tell me this...Say you bought something because of ALL the features the product had advertised. You liked to use ALL the features but then one of the features that YOU paid for was taken away without asking you if it was OK to remove that feature.

What would you do?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Devious

Premium Member

to Devious
said by Devious:

said by beachintech:

After a long search I finally found the consumer support number and then I spoke to a technician at Motorola this morning by phone for almost 30 minutes. I was told that ISP's have the right to modify the firmware for their particular system.
Tech support was wrong about ISPs modifying the firmware.

...but ISPs can configure available modem options through config files and SNMP.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

...but ISPs can configure available modem options through config files and SNMP.
Agreed. About the only Comcast does once they receive the firmware is sign it and thats about it.

There are vendor specific TLVs that can be manipulated in the DOCSIS config files as well, that enable/disable features such as telnet/web access.

You could always ask in the Cox, Charter or Cablevision forums to see if users there are experiencing similar issues with the "SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH" version of firmware.

TI recently updated their base code again so we should see some new firmware very soon on the 6120.

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Sorry but you are incorrect as below is the first response (before I found a tech that would help me) from Motorola. As you can see he talks about the ISP having the ability to modify the firmware.
quote:
Thank you for contacting Motorola Technical Support. I understand that you are unable to view the log information unless a critical error is thrown. I apologize for any inconvenience and I am happy to provide information about this.

I am not aware of any bugs with the firmware released to your ISP for your SB6120. The log and firmware can be modified by your ISP if they deem fit for the network itself. In general, the logs are meant for network engineers and ISP technicians to assist in there troubleshooting of possible issues on the modem and the line in general. We do send out the firmware to the cable providers to implement on their network, but they do have the ability to modify this information as they see fit.

I do apologize for any possible inconvenience, but if the ISP updated to a modified firmware then it will be as such, as they do control all aspects of the firmware and the implementation/modification of such on the network.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

Msg odog see what he says.

But you'd figure if ISPs could modify the firmware.... they'd be renaming it so they'd know their version vs. the modem makers version.

So I stand by what I said. ISPs can't modify firmware, but they can configure the options available on it through config files and SNMP.

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

Msg odog see what he says.

But you'd figure if ISPs could modify the firmware.... they'd be renaming it so they'd know their version vs. the modem makers version.

So I stand by what I said. ISPs can't modify firmware, but they can configure the options available on it through config files and SNMP.
All I know is my logs now work even though I have the same config file...interesting.

beachintech
Premium Member

beachintech

Premium Member

Better get out the tinfoil hat.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 edit

Sunny to Devious

to Devious
said by Devious:

All I know is my logs now work even though I have the same config file...interesting.
When you say your "logs now work," do you mean you can now see what config file you have? The config file which determines your speed tier cap?

Such as d11_m_sb6120_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm for the Blast tier?

I am asking because I have a new Motorola SB6120 installed. I do see the walledgarden config file name (SW download Successful - Via Config file d11_m_sb6120_walledgarden_c01.c) in the logs, but not the one applied to my account. I am disappointed about that as I could see actual provisioned speeds (up and down) with my DOCSIS 2 Linksys modem.

denb45
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Albuquerque, NM

2 edits

denb45

Premium Member

Nope like you this is all I get to see, I cannot see anything about what speed-tier I have?

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Apr 6 2010 16:34:56

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

I am looking for the config file name on this page, denb45 ---> »192.168.100.1/cmLogs.htm

You are looking at »192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm

denb45
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit

denb45

Premium Member

EVEN on this page 192.168.100.1/cmLogs.htm it still gives no info on speed or anything applied to my account

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Yes, I expected that.

The OP, however, said he got a fix from Motorola. What I am trying to find out is if he can now see that config file of which I speak.
Sunny

Sunny to denb45

to denb45
IOW, this post was directed to Devious See Profile.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper

Premium Member

The Motorola's used to have very active logs,over the years the new firmware has really cut the log activity.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

That wouldn't really concern me much if the speed tier config file had not disappeared. That is the part one wants to see, especially when having speed issues or changing a modem or changing the speed tier.

Still, I really would like, when USA Zombie returns, if he could clarify whether or not he can see that config file now or if he just means he can now see more activity in his logs.

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

2 recommendations

Devious

Premium Member

Click for full size
I could see all activity in the log just like when I first purchased the modem (before provision) including the CM file downloaded.

I started to think about what others mentioned about what happens when the next update happens (back to square one) as next time I may not get help so I returned the 6120 for the Zoom 5341.

With the Zoom it was the same as with the 6120 in that everything was logged until the modem had a firmware update (right after provision) then the log no longer functioned except critical info.

BUT, with the Zoom it is not an issue as the modem CM file is listed on the status page so it does not matter about updates messing it up.

I am also getting better signal levels with the Zoom.

If you keep the SB6120 and want to see what cm file the modem is acquiring just download and run DHCP Force.

inferno4
join:2008-07-06

inferno4

DHCP Force?

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Search of forum on DHCP Force:

»/nsear ··· 97270374
Sunny

Sunny to Devious

to Devious
said by Devious:

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1577451~15f1070f6f86323ed25ff15c451b0d39/5341.JPG

I could see all activity in the log just like when I first purchased the modem (before provision) including the CM file downloaded.

Thank you for clarifying.