uniqs
chuckkk
join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

chuckkk to TheMG

to TheMG

Re: Heat Pump Capacitor

The capacitor is likely under rated for the actual starting load. The higher temps this year are a contributing factor. The base pressure may be too high, causing an increased starting load. Besides that, the power companies may have jacked up the line voltage a bit to compensate for the increased A/C load on the grid this year.

Really, unless a starting capacitor is poorly made, there are a very limited number of things that usually cause failure.
Too much current(peak or over time), or voltage spikes are the usual causes.
The current may be the result of a longer than normal start before run, and/or a problem in the compressor.

In any event, the compressor needs to be checked for starting current draw and time, followed by a check of the run current.

If aluminum wire is involved, it may need cleaning at each junction/splice/connector, followed with "No-Ox" paste in all the connectors/terminals, even on the line and load sides of the meter block.

Long ago and far away, I spent several years working in one of GE's engineering labs and the QC lab that dealt with motor controls and other industrial devices. Relays, Breakers, Transformers, BIG Un-interruptable Power Supplies, and all sorts of other control devices.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

SandShark5

Premium Member

Has it been established that the problems are start capacitor related? My instincts tell me the problems are run capacitor related, but I could be mistaken.