Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to KevTech

Re: SB6120 logging lost after 1.0.3.0 update

said by KevTech:

said by beachintech:

Not that I want to get into this discussion again on here, but Motorola makes and designs the firmware, not comcast.
After a long search I finally found the consumer support number and then I spoke to a technician at Motorola this morning by phone for almost 30 minutes. I was told that ISP's have the right to modify the firmware for their particular system.
Tech support was wrong about ISPs modifying the firmware.

...but ISPs can configure available modem options through config files and SNMP.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:106

said by DrDrew:

...but ISPs can configure available modem options through config files and SNMP.
Agreed. About the only Comcast does once they receive the firmware is sign it and thats about it.

There are vendor specific TLVs that can be manipulated in the DOCSIS config files as well, that enable/disable features such as telnet/web access.

You could always ask in the Cox, Charter or Cablevision forums to see if users there are experiencing similar issues with the "SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH" version of firmware.

TI recently updated their base code again so we should see some new firmware very soon on the 6120.

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

Sorry but you are incorrect as below is the first response (before I found a tech that would help me) from Motorola. As you can see he talks about the ISP having the ability to modify the firmware.

quote:
Thank you for contacting Motorola Technical Support. I understand that you are unable to view the log information unless a critical error is thrown. I apologize for any inconvenience and I am happy to provide information about this.

I am not aware of any bugs with the firmware released to your ISP for your SB6120. The log and firmware can be modified by your ISP if they deem fit for the network itself. In general, the logs are meant for network engineers and ISP technicians to assist in there troubleshooting of possible issues on the modem and the line in general. We do send out the firmware to the cable providers to implement on their network, but they do have the ability to modify this information as they see fit.

I do apologize for any possible inconvenience, but if the ISP updated to a modified firmware then it will be as such, as they do control all aspects of the firmware and the implementation/modification of such on the network.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

2 edits

Msg odog see what he says.

But you'd figure if ISPs could modify the firmware.... they'd be renaming it so they'd know their version vs. the modem makers version.

So I stand by what I said. ISPs can't modify firmware, but they can configure the options available on it through config files and SNMP.

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by DrDrew:

Msg odog see what he says.

But you'd figure if ISPs could modify the firmware.... they'd be renaming it so they'd know their version vs. the modem makers version.

So I stand by what I said. ISPs can't modify firmware, but they can configure the options available on it through config files and SNMP.
All I know is my logs now work even though I have the same config file...interesting.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

Better get out the tinfoil hat.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to KevTech

said by KevTech:

All I know is my logs now work even though I have the same config file...interesting.
When you say your "logs now work," do you mean you can now see what config file you have? The config file which determines your speed tier cap?

Such as d11_m_sb6120_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm for the Blast tier?

I am asking because I have a new Motorola SB6120 installed. I do see the walledgarden config file name (SW download Successful - Via Config file d11_m_sb6120_walledgarden_c01.c) in the logs, but not the one applied to my account. I am disappointed about that as I could see actual provisioned speeds (up and down) with my DOCSIS 2 Linksys modem.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

denb45
Premium
join:2001-02-04
Albuquerque, NM

2 edits

Nope like you this is all I get to see, I cannot see anything about what speed-tier I have?

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Apr 6 2010 16:34:56
--
AMD Phenom™ X3 8400 Triple-Core 2.1 GHz*8 GB* RAM*Windows Windows 7™ Pro x64

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

I am looking for the config file name on this page, denb45 ---> »192.168.100.1/cmLogs.htm

You are looking at »192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm
--

denb45
Premium
join:2001-02-04
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit

EVEN on this page 192.168.100.1/cmLogs.htm it still gives no info on speed or anything applied to my account
--
AMD Phenom™ X3 8400 Triple-Core 2.1 GHz*8 GB* RAM*Windows Windows 7™ Pro x64

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

Yes, I expected that.

The OP, however, said he got a fix from Motorola. What I am trying to find out is if he can now see that config file of which I speak.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to denb45

IOW, this post was directed to KevTech See Profile.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL

The Motorola's used to have very active logs,over the years the new firmware has really cut the log activity.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

That wouldn't really concern me much if the speed tier config file had not disappeared. That is the part one wants to see, especially when having speed issues or changing a modem or changing the speed tier.

Still, I really would like, when USA Zombie returns, if he could clarify whether or not he can see that config file now or if he just means he can now see more activity in his logs.
--

KevTech
Premium
Seattle, WA

1 edit

2 recommendations

Click for full size
I could see all activity in the log just like when I first purchased the modem (before provision) including the CM file downloaded.

I started to think about what others mentioned about what happens when the next update happens (back to square one) as next time I may not get help so I returned the 6120 for the Zoom 5341.

With the Zoom it was the same as with the 6120 in that everything was logged until the modem had a firmware update (right after provision) then the log no longer functioned except critical info.

BUT, with the Zoom it is not an issue as the modem CM file is listed on the status page so it does not matter about updates messing it up.

I am also getting better signal levels with the Zoom.

If you keep the SB6120 and want to see what cm file the modem is acquiring just download and run DHCP Force.

inferno4

join:2008-07-06

DHCP Force?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

Search of forum on DHCP Force:

»/nsearch?q=DHC···97270374
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to KevTech

said by KevTech:

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1577451~15f1070f6f86323ed25ff15c451b0d39/5341.JPG

I could see all activity in the log just like when I first purchased the modem (before provision) including the CM file downloaded.

Thank you for clarifying.
--