Search similar:

uniqs
andy1237
join:2010-01-31
Ottawa, ON

3 edits

andy1237

DSL disconnects when receiving calls

I'm currently signed up for Caneris DSL. The speeds I'm getting are excellent (about the same as advertised) and I'm using a TP-link TD-8901G. Unfortunately, whenever somebody calls my landline phone, the internet disconnects. What happens is the "ADSL" and "Internet" light on my modem turn off for about 30 seconds and then they turn back on again. The power for the modem is on at all times. I currently have filters on all my phones, but I'm using a DECT-6 cordless phone, even though my desktop that is connected via Ethernet is disconnected from the internet as well when the somebody calls me. What do you think could be causing the problem. I'm posting here for answers before I call customer service. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: See my first reply.
»Re: Small issue with my DSL connection.

OVERKILL
join:2010-04-05
Peterborough, ON

OVERKILL

Re: Small issue with my DSL connection.

Move the phone to another filter. See what happens.

What kind sync speed are you getting with the Toilet Paper link?

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook to andy1237

MVM

to andy1237
said by andy1237:

I'm using a DECT-6 cordless phone
I would temporarily replace it with a conventional plug-in phone to see if that stops the disconnects. If it does, then you've at least isolated the problem.
I currently have filters on all my phones
What about other items that may be attached to your phone line, e.g. fax, answering machine, dialup modem, burglar alarm, etc? They should all be filtered.

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

1 edit

CanerisErik to andy1237

Premium Member

to andy1237
A common problem caused by any one of:
-Defective modem
-ISW issues or missing/defective filters
-Outside plant issue, bad port on the SLAM, etc.

Try disconnecting every device and filter from the line, except the modem. Don't forget to disconnect devices other than phones, e.g. fax, satelite dish, alarm system, etc. if present. Then try calling yourself from a cell phone and see whether the trouble persists - you should hear just ringing or (eventually) VM.

If the trouble clears, it was likely, though not necessarily, caused by one of the filters/devices you disconnected.

If the trouble persists, it's one of a defective modem, inside wiring issue, or a Bell issue anywhere past the demarc, and it's not caused by one of the devices/filters you disconnected. Then you will need to test at the demarc with another modem before we can open a Bell ticket. If you don't have another modem available to borrow from a neighbour/friend, we can send you a loaner (you'd only pay shipping back for whichever one you'd end up not keeping later on).

Let me know if you need further help, such as find/testing at the demarc, especially if there's no NID.
CanerisErik

CanerisErik to andy1237

Premium Member

to andy1237
BTW, where did you get that modem from? We don't sell that model of TP-Link.

I just noticed that now, so what I wrote in the previous post about the loaner would work slightly differently. I assumed incorrectly that you bought/rented from us. In this case, if you're getting a loaner modem you'd be able to either buy/rent it later (if it solves the problem) or send it back later (if it doesn't), so the shipping cost would work slightly differently.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

BTW, the modem is supposed to get all of your phone line's stuff. The filter is only to remove the DSL buzz from your voice phones.

So the modem is designed to be immune from phone ringing, and a aunt/grand mother talking constantly, or worse, a teenage girl talkinfg at high speed.

Is your voice phone service working fine ? Any hints of something abnormal during ringing or when you pick it up ?

Have you tried plugging a phone where the modem is plugged in and using that phone ?
andy1237
join:2010-01-31
Ottawa, ON

andy1237

My internet only disconnects when someone calls me. It doesn't disconnect when I call someone. Also, I could answer a phone call and my modem could reconnect before I finished talking and hang up.( it disconnects and then reconnects while I'm still talking on the phone)

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

CanerisErik

Premium Member

said by andy1237:

My internet only disconnects when someone calls me. It doesn't disconnect when I call someone. Also, I could answer a phone call and my modem could reconnect before I finished talking and hang up.( it disconnects and then reconnects while I'm still talking on the phone)
I understand - please try what I indicated in my first post.
CanerisErik

CanerisErik to andy1237

Premium Member

to andy1237

Re: DSL disconnects when receiving calls

Just a follow-up - was this resolved? Do you need any further help?