All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: Cord cutting

Once streaming devices make it easier for the masses like Roku and PS3 now getting into it, more will cut the cord. Two non-techies I know switched to Roku or PS3 streaming and cut cable. However they saw how I did it and asked me to set them up. When PS3 and XBOX focus on streaming video, more will dump cable on their own.

I just recently cut cable and generally don't miss it. Would like to have Disc/NatGeo/History channels but it's not worth $75/month for a few channels. If they could charge by the channel, like $5 each or a pick 10 for $30 with an online mgmt way to alter channel bundles on the fly, I might go back. The cable is already strung so there is no overhead for them.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

So where are all of these people getting their internet connection from?
xenophon

xenophon

I get mine from Clearwire. The other two have DSL, one looking to switch to Clear.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to xenophon

MVM

to xenophon
said by xenophon:

Would like to have Disc/NatGeo/History channels but it's not worth $75/month for a few channels. If they could charge by the channel, like $5 each or a pick 10 for $30 with an online mgmt way to alter channel bundles on the fly, I might go back.
The problem is that the content producers want the channels bundled the way they are; that's why you see a nearly ubiquitous channel line-up on every video system in the country.

No matter how good Roku and similar boxes become, there is still going to be limitations how to easily and legally obtain content from the companies who create the media that people want to watch.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to xenophon

to xenophon
said by xenophon:

I get mine from Clearwire. The other two have DSL, one looking to switch to Clear.
Clearwire won't be able to support everyone streaming at once. Most people get their internet connections from the cable company or phone company.
xenophon

xenophon

How so? They have enough spectrum and have been adding more backhaul. They started out early markets with 20Mbps backhaul but are now doing 100Mbps where they can get it (including my area). They say they'll be targeting 500Mbps backhaul in the future. May depend on market or site though on amount of backhaul available in the long run.

If Clear can't sustain enough to stream video, I'll switch back to TWC but I don't expect to anytime soon.