uniqs
share rss forum feed

QLR

join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

until i get a stronger ota signal...

I will be keeping my limited cable plan. The internet price was reduced, but now, the price increases have negated the savings for me. It would be about $0.60 cheaper if I went internet only now. Just waiting for my promo to to end so I can get a lower tier or another promo.

chsteiger
Premium
join:2003-10-03
Pasadena, TX

1 edit
I cut the cord last month and enjoy the $120.00 per month savings. I do pay 65.00 per month for my U-Verse 24mb internet connection

HD over the air is my area has a much better picture then on cable or sat. I purchased a Mac Mini as my media center and have EyeTV acting as my DVR.... also with no monthly fee.

Hulu looks great on my 52" tv along with Netflix and any other web contect like Amazon rental and purchases via the Mac Mini.

I have found quite a bit of great video podcasts out there. Some of them like the entire NBC nightly news cast are available comerical free about 10 mins after it ends on the west coast.

The only thing I am missing is CNN. I could glady pay a monthly fee for that, but it seems they are just not ready to do that yet.

eric_n_dfw

join:2001-10-22
Roanoke, TX
I could swear that HD OTA in my area (center of Dallas/Ft Worth) also was higher quality (less compressed) than cable, but shortly before leaving TWC I did some dual recordings of some sports on both the antenna and the cable feed and they were equally unimpressive.

Not really a scientific test, I'm sure, but I'm pretty confident that the OTA broadcasts have become more compressed over the year since the switch to all-digital.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to QLR
said by QLR:

I will be keeping my limited cable plan. The internet price was reduced, but now, the price increases have negated the savings for me. It would be about $0.60 cheaper if I went internet only now. Just waiting for my promo to to end so I can get a lower tier or another promo.
Your OTA signals should be fine. Perhaps it's your set up.

Do a TVfool report. Also what kind of antenna are you using?

»www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

QLR

join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
I am only using a Terk indoor antenna. My place is weird as well. A concrete building built in the 1970's (?) with only westward facing windows. Most of my stations require the antenna to be pointed towards the northeast (a no-go for me). I can only get PBS and Fox/CW stations in town; I rarely watch those 3 channels. The apartment has no outdoor antenna and since there's concrete everywhere, there is no place to put the antenna (or dish)

So, as I am saying, I am likely stuck with cable until I move.