Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

email from sprint

---
Confirmation - Update to Your Sprint Account is Complete

Dear MR AVD:

Sprint has completed a modification(s) to your account. Please take a minute to carefully review this confirmation:

Confirmation no.: 123456789 Rep Id: 12345 Date/Time: Aug 23, 2010 11:02 am(CST)
Modification(s): - Important Notice for 201xxxxxxx: As of 08/23/2010 at 00:08am, you have used 6844242.00 KBytes of your 5 GB (5,242,880 KBytes) monthly Sprint Data usage allotment. The terms and conditions of your plan state that you are allowed 5 GB of data card usage. To ensure quality service and maintain high levels of network performance, Sprint can suspend data usage when you exceed the 5 GB cap. Any suspension will remain in effect until your monthly usage is reset on 09/19/2010. You can avoid overage charges by monitoring your usage; simply sign into your account at sprint.com.

If you have questions or did not request this change(s), please contact Sprint Customer Care in a way that's convenient for you:
- Email: Click www.Sprint.com/emailcare
- Chat: Click www.Sprint.com/chat
- Phone: Press *2 from your Sprint phone If you have trouble with the links above, please type the web address into your browser.

For your protection, you will be asked for your account PIN or security answer whenever you contact us.

You are a valued Sprint customer - we appreciate your business!

Note: If you have recently provided us with a new email address, we are required to send notices (like this one) to your old address for the first 30 days. Once the 30-day transition period has elapsed, we will send notices to the new email address.

---

My first problem is Sprint is threatening to SHUT ME OFF. This is not in the ToS.

My other problem is that I've got over 5 gigs in 3 days, I usually am under 10 in one month.
--
standard disclaimers apply.

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

join:2007-01-22
Chicago, IL
Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem):The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.

Source: »shop.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_t···up.shtml

So yes it is in the ToS

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
Onion, NJ
that's new then.

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

Chicago, IL
Its been a 5GB limit on 3g for over a year. They still market it as "unlimited"

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by jay608:

Its been a 5GB limit on 3g for over a year. They still market it as "unlimited"
I don't remember them saying they could suspend/kill the account, only throttle.
--

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to AVD
5GB in 3 days ? ? ? no wonder you got an email from Sprint!!!

That's insane usage !

I'm glad you're not on MY tower! I'd be pissed!

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

that's new then.
Teh cap has been in place for new accounts for over a year, and it has been clearly stated its 5 GB - "unlimited" hasn't been listed ever since the caps went in place.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

5GB in 3 days ? ? ? no wonder you got an email from Sprint!!!

That's insane usage !

I'm glad you're not on MY tower! I'd be pissed!
Wonder if that fits the definition of Millenicoms's "HERO" users? That is a good example of why we have caps. 80 percent suffer for the actions of 20 percent.

Dropped_MC

join:2002-06-25
Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to AVD
I got a similar email, have been on the unlimited plan for over 2 years, so I'm "grandfathered" in. I inquired about this online, and got this reply:
Thank you for contacting Sprint. I understand your concern regarding the plan change.

I have checked your account and found a supportive note regarding the plan change on your account.
On 08/11/2010 you requested for the connection Data card Plan, that is the reason the plan has been added in your account

Thank you again for contacting Sprint.

Sincerely,
Alison M
Sprint

I replied to this one stating I had not authorized any change to my account, and requested it be changed back ASAP. Today I get this:
Thank you for your reply.

The current plan on the account is $59.99 Connection Card Data Plan and the previous plan was also the same of $59.99 Connection Card Data Plan.

The current plan is the updated version of the previous plan. If you still want to change the plan to the old plan, reply us and we will make the necessary changes on the account.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be
of assistance.

Sincerely,
Jane C.
Sprint

In the meantime, I checked my account online last night for usage and it shows nowhere near the number they are claiming- for this cycle (as of yesterday), I'm like 200,000KB, and it shows as unlimited for data. Now this AM I re-check it and it shows over 4GB but still unlimited.

My first conclusion is that the emails are being written by someone overseas based upon the grammar. I'm going to reply to this latest one that I (again) never wanted any change made, so we'll see what happens. In the meantime, I've got my eye on the alleged Virgin Mobile "unlimited" deal for $40.

My second conclusion is that Sprint is seriously screwed up.
--
Old setup: Wilson omni, Cellmate 2000, Pantech PX-500 in Linksys WRT543G3-ST.
New setup: Parabolic grid, Cyfre CA-819, Sierra 598U in Cradlepoint MBR1000.
Thanks to Jim_in_VA for the tips!

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to WHT
said by WHT:

said by AVD:

that's new then.
Teh cap has been in place for new accounts for over a year, and it has been clearly stated its 5 GB - "unlimited" hasn't been listed ever since the caps went in place.
I agree there has always been a soft cap, what's new is the language that they would suspend service until the next billing period if the cap was exceeded.

I got my PX-500 card in a WRT54G3G-ST router. My usual usage is under 9GB per billing perion.

My connection is secured WPA-AES. I have a laptop and a wifi printer on the LAN. This morning I got up and the activity light was blinking nonstop. Is it possible I have unsolicited inbound traffic that is routing to my DMZ? I'll turn the router's wifi off to see if there still is activity, but I really can't believe that my unit was hacked.
My billing period started last friday, I'm up to 8139065.00 KBytes as of a few minutes after midnight today. I'm glad I don't pay for overages, this is why metered billing is scary.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
Click for full size
I was wrong, this is my usual usage...
--

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

Chicago, IL
Whats funny is that what I quoted from the ToS, is right under your graph.

So your average is just about 5 and a half gig. Not that bad really. My first thought with the non stop blinking is maybe you have a bug on your machine trying to send over port 25 or something like that.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
I never questioned the 5 gig cap, just the suspension threat.
--

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

Chicago, IL
Ah my mistake, I thought you were questioning both.

Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to AVD
Sprint lost me as a customer today. I signed up for the true unlimited plan in April 2008. I was never notified of it being changed until yesterday when I got the same email as the OP.

I had written in via email and was told the plan was the same, but then I get the same email from yesterday again today. I "chatted" with an agent and it took several minutes for her to admit they changed my account. I have unlimited 4G, but it's 140 miles away, lot of good that does.

So I'm off to Millenecom (sp?) for 10GB for the same price as Sprint, or possibly Virgin Mobile if they are truly unlimited for $40/month (not holding my breath).

Time to change my user name as well. I'm wondering if Sprint_Sucks is still available???

EDIT
Looks like it is!

--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Dropped_MC:

So I'm off to Millenecom (sp?) for 10GB for the same price as Sprint, or possibly Virgin Mobile if they are truly unlimited for $40/month (not holding my breath).

Time to change my user name as well. I'm wondering if Sprint_Sucks is still available???

EDIT
Looks like it is!

Why if you are going with Millenicom/Sprint would you want a name like Sprint_Sucks? Just curious since it really doesn't reflect Millenicom.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

1 edit
I'm at 10+gigs, they haven't shut me off yet.

I shut off my router, but I'm still getting the warning email/txt messages from sprint. Another gig downloaded while the card was unplugged. Is there a lag in their accounting system of 8 hours, or is something weird going on?

I'm off to scan my laptop now to see if there are any underlying nasties...
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
using software called GVnotifier.net .. downloaded a few megs in 10 minutes

also my standalone skype phone is connecting all over the world.

I'm gonna disable the gvnotifier and shut off the phone and see what happens.
--

Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Why if you are going with Millenicom/Sprint would you want a name like Sprint_Sucks? Just curious since it really doesn't reflect Millenicom.
Because right now I'm really PO'd at Sprint. Customer service used to mean something. If I have to buy twice their service (of their service) from another provider for the same amount of money, then that's what I'll do. The logical thing for me would be to match the other provider and retain your loyal customer, or at least make an allowance / give sufficient notice for the 5GB limit. As it stands I was notified Monday and I'm over the limit Tuesday.

Logical thinking is becoming a rare quality in our nation.
--

stanleycr1

join:2008-12-02
Ivor, VA
reply to AVD
I got the same letter today and I am on a 5 year old unlimited account.

Dropped_MC

Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to AVD
After confirming yesterday that my account was indeed a 5GB plan, today I get this:

Thank you for your reply.

Currently, we are offering Connection Card Plan of 5GB usage limit. This limit has also updated on your account. However, we do not charge any overage charges of your usage exceed the 5GB limit.

This means, you can still use the unlimited data usage with your Connection Card.

Please note that as our system is billing our entire Connection Card customer as per the 5 GB cap, you will still receive the notifications for exceeding the limit. Please ignore those notifications as your account is on unlimited data usage plan.

Thank you again for writing to us.

Sincerely,
Seneca G.
Sprint

I've already dumped them for VM, but anyone else that had an older account should be OK.

These dumba55es should really get their act together, but in the meantime, I'm saving $20/month with VM, which is a subsidiary of... Sprint!.
--
Current setup: Parabolic grid, Cyfre CA-819, MC760 in Cradlepoint MBR1000.
Sprint MBB shafted me after 2+ years. Notified of the 5GB cap on Monday, over it on Tuesday, so I'm now with VM unlimited for $20 less/month.