Stem Bolt
Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

New "Luck You" updated tonight - Magicfeatures not working

I just one those Lucky You Magic Jack updates. After it updated and restarted, Magicfeaturesplugin no longer works. It remains grayed out. I've restarted my computer and unplugged and plugged in the Magic Jack but it won't start. I've restarted Magicfeaturesplugin without success.

Could the new update have "broken" something with Magicfeaturesplugin?
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

1 edit

amigo_boy

I just ended and started my MJ. I'm got lucked.

The upgrade status message leaves something to be desired. The ad window contained a truncated message indicating I was about to rec- an upgr- in the nex- 60 sec-. But the center status pane said "connect to the internet and click here."

Very different look.

- The ugly 3G buttons on the title bar are gone. I don't know where they put it. It's not in the Menu.

- The menu moved to where you'd expect to click and get a drop down (top-left corner).

- I don't like the green contacts font. I'm a little color blind in the green area.

- I like how they pitch their stock symbol.

I don't use magicFeatures. They'll probably have a new version within hours to adapt to the softphone changes.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
Also, in the Menu, there's a new grayed-out (inactive) choice saying what the version of the softphone is. Also, what looks like the serial number.

That's nice. Instead of everyone referring to 3 different version numbers obtained from .dll files or the registry.

Another grayed-out item saying "unregistered." I don't know if this is informative too, indicating I'm not registered with some other service (like magicTalk?). Or, if it's supposed to become an active menu choice if I use the softphone but haven't registered?

If it's the latter, it would be clearer if it said "registered" and grayed out. Change to "unregistered" and not grayed out when the option is supposed to be used.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread, which was more about MagicFeatures.

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
Here is a link about MagicFeatures.

»www.pcphonesoft.com/pcph ··· C_ID=484

Joe Sica

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

Gork

From bitstopjoe See Profile's link:

If you have picked up the latest magicJack "Lucky You" upgrade today you will find that magicJack has done a major redesign of the magicJack dialer and a major redesign of their website interface for your account and product management.

Unlike previous updates received from magicJack, this is a major new release of the magicJack dialer (i.e. 1.x to 2.x) and the changes this time are significant. Just like you, we do not receive advance warning of such changes.

You will also find that after receiving the "Lucky You" upgrade that the plugin icon stays black in color. This is because the plugin detected incompatible changes in the new release of the magicJack dialer so this result is actually correct.

MagicFeatures - New Release Underway
Changes to the plugin to provide compatibility with the very major new release of the magicJack dialer are going to be required. We should have an update of the plugin available for download in the next few days; however, it may take a bit longer depending on the exact number of changes necessary. Your patience will be required in this instance and is very much appreciated.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
I got the upgrade when I purchased a new number for mine. Lost and can't store my frequently dialed numbers anymore and can't see the contact list anymore.

STBDRAJACKSO
@bellsouth.net

STBDRAJACKSO to Gork

Anon

to Gork
With the Magicjplugin Features update, are we going to have to pay for it again? I sure hope not.

bitstopjoe
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

I REALLY REALLY doubt they are going to make us pay for the update, in fact I am positive they won't. They are stand up people. I know they are working on the update to MagicFeatures as the 2.0 MJ update took them and everyone else by surprise.

Joe Sica

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
I just got my "lucky you" update last night and am now also suffering from the horror of no Magicfeatures... And to boot, it doesn't appear that MJ fixed the issue that it cannot remember your volume settings after a restart, either. Bah!

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by David:

I got the upgrade when I purchased a new number for mine. Lost and can't store my frequently dialed numbers anymore and can't see the contact list anymore.
on the latest boot of the windows 7 machine the unit was able to pull up my contact list.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy to Gork

to Gork
said by Gork:

it doesn't appear that MJ fixed the issue that it cannot remember your volume settings after a restart, either.
I'm not experiencing that. MJ has the same headset and speaker settings/levels as it did the last time the softphone ran.

Maybe it's specific to your audio drivers? I had some MJ weirdness that was fixed by upgrading my audio drivers.

bitstopjoe
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe to Gork

to Gork
Gork and others:

Good news/bad news. Some tools will be updated, sadly others are now discontinued..

»www.pcphonesoft.com/pcph ··· C_ID=509

and

»www.pcphonesoft.com/pcph ··· C_ID=487

"LUCKY YOU"

Joe Sica

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork to amigo_boy

to amigo_boy
Interesting, thanks for your followup post. I am using the latest drivers for my actual soundcard - but in MJ under "Volume/Headset Control..." I use "Telephone" as the device. It only allows me (obviously) to choose "magicJack" for "speaker/earpiece," "microphone" and "ringing." I'm getting old, so I set the "speaker" volume slider all the way to loudest. But when MJ restarts (as in when an update is applied, when the computer reboots or when I manually choose "restart" the softphone) the "speaker" volume slider returns to its default location and I have to remember to slide it back to full volume. I just noticed as well, that if I switch to use the "Headset/Other" device option it changes the volume sliders (as I would expect,) but when I change the option back to "Telephone" as the device it resets the volume sliders again to different settings and I have to adjust them.

I just tried an experiment, though, and if I restart mj with "Headset/Other" chosen as the device, the volume sliders remain where I place them. Do your volume sliders remain where you set them after a restart while using "Telephone" as your device as opposed to "Headset/Other?"
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by Gork:

I just tried an experiment, though, and if I restart mj with "Headset/Other" chosen as the device, the volume sliders remain where I place them. Do your volume sliders remain where you set them after a restart while using "Telephone" as your device as opposed to "Headset/Other?"
Sorry. My observation (unchanged speaker/mic levels) was for Headset/other.

I just tried Telephone. It doesn't change the mic level.

And, oddly, it doesn't change the speaker level if the level is below a level which looks like 70%. It only adjusts the level downward if it's above that level.

It wouldn't be hard to write an AutoIT script that you could put in your startup folder. It would wait for the MJ window to appear. Then it would click the Menu, adjust volume, and drag the slider where it needs to be. Then resume waiting for the MJ window to disappear, at which point it would switch to waiting for the MJ window to reappear (so it could perform the initialization processing again).

It's really not that hard to do. And, AutoIT has interrupt processing so it won't just sit there spinning (consuming resources) waiting for things.

I was thinking about writing a redialer and something to dump contacts. If I do, you could use those as a basis to write the script described above. But, if you have even minimal programming experience, you wouldn't need a starting point like that. You could look at the help that's installed with AutoIT and figure it out.

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork

said by amigo_boy:

I just tried Telephone. It doesn't change the mic level.

And, oddly, it doesn't change the speaker level if the level is below a level which looks like 70%. It only adjusts the level downward if it's above that level.
Well, you went beyond the experimentations I've done. Well, I may have experimented more when I first noticed the problem, but I've gotten used to just going in every so often to make sure the volume's turned up. Anyway, from what you've done it appears to confim the bugginess I had assumed; too bad this latest "lucky you" upgrade didn't fix it.

AutoIT would do it easily, huh? I'll keep that in mind but learning how to use that program will be at the bottom of my list of computer stuff, under upgrading the web server, the photo application, moving data to my NAS blah blah blah. Gawd I'm lazy... Thanks for the suggestion!
Gork

Gork to bitstopjoe

to bitstopjoe
Glad to see MagicSilence will still be around. But if they're getting rid of MagicRingForever it sounds like that may mean there will no longer be a way to "disable" voicemail. THAT doesn't really make me all that happy. Of course I'm ECSTATIC that MagicFeatures is being resurrected!
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by Gork:

Of course I'm ECSTATIC that MagicFeatures is being resurrected!
It's going to be interesting to see if magicFeatures comes through this unscathed.

I was just playing with AutoIT. I haven't done this for over a year. But, it seems to me like magicJack added countermeasures to the softphone, to make it resistant to automation.

MF probably uses native API calls instead of a higher-level scripting language like AutoIT. But, it seems like something changed.

I would inexplicably lose the ability to give the softphone focus. Without focus, I can't interact with the individual controls in the softphone.

Control IDs would also inexplicably change. And, interestingly, I could consistently demonstrate that they changed when AutoIT's Window Info tool was used to obtain the ID. Almost like the softphone could detect that AutoIT was in use.

I don't recall it being this difficult a year ago.

bitstopjoe
Pen Argyl, PA

1 edit

bitstopjoe

They JUST released an updated MagicFeatures today, and one thing is different. It NO LONGER gets caller ID name info from your MJ contact list. If that # is in the MagicFeatures Speed dail, then yes it will pass it along, if not it will try to do a Google search for the name, if nothing is found the location of the call will be displayed, this also is true for Call Waiting Caller ID.

»www.pcphonesoft.com/pcph ··· C_ID=511

So this means for some of us who lost our MJ contact list after MJ's "wonderful" update, we have to enter it on the MJ side AND on the MagicFeatures side too..
LUCKY US

Joe Sica

amigo_boy

1 recommendation

amigo_boy

said by amigo_boy:

I was just playing with AutoIT. I haven't done this for over a year. But, it seems to me like magicJack added countermeasures to the softphone, to make it resistant to automation.
I found the problem. The new softphone creates a popup that is set to be non-visible. It creates the popup for no reason I can determine. At no specific time after starting the softphone.

It seems to have the "on top" flag set, which causes it to interfere with automation. But, you can't see it because it's not visible.

I stumbled upon it when I set the state of the softphone to visible (just trying different things). Suddenly a little square existed which I couldn't get rid of.

So, with AutoIT, the softphone window has to be addressed more specifically. Instead of just "magicJack" (which is the title of the window as known by the OS, and the way you'd normally do it when you think you're working with a single window), it has to be "[TITLE:magicJack; CLASS:QWidget]". That differentiates the softphone from the invisible booger ("[TITLE:magicJack; CLASS:QPopup]").

That may have been an intentional attempt by Dan to resist automation. It wrecked things because the specificity of the window title was lost. And, the on-top attribute caused the invisible booger to be first in line to be accessed by any reference only to the title "magicJack."

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify my remark about AutoIT being affected. In case anyone finds this thread in the future.

On a side note:

I wonder if Dan will ever give up fighting these battles.

1. He kicked his customers off his web site 3 years ago. They simply flourished elsewhere (and not talking to him).

2. He interfered with customers' energy savings, without making it a choice. When it really is a choice. (I.e., he forced his customers to have to dig into it, to have a choice.).

3. He obfuscated the softphone to prevent human activities from being automated. But, they can still be automated. It just made it harder on his customers.

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork

K so this is really weird and extremely obnoxious. Seriously? Brother!

Thank you for posting what you discovered. I wonder if the MagicFeatures folks already knew about this and if it might help with some of the stuff they do.
redpepper
join:2009-09-05

1 edit

redpepper to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
Magicfeatures is back up and running.

Like you guys figured out as well you cannot read any text from the new magicJack dialer. Even the accessibility tools blind people were able to use with the magicJack dialer to listen to what was on the screen are useless now.

As a result, the ability to extract a caller's name from the contact list is no longer possible. It will however still pick up the caller's name from the Speed Dial table as was previously mentioned in this thread. A online Google Phonebook lookup is also still done.

If it rocks your boat, you can now key in 7 digit numbers, speed dial codes and feature codes into the dialer as long as you pick up your phone handset before the number routes.
jnjrjbc
join:2007-05-28

jnjrjbc to Stem Bolt

to Stem Bolt
Is MagicSilence working too?
redpepper
join:2009-09-05

2 edits

redpepper

Yes. The Magicsilence Release 2 upgrade is now available and it is compatible with magicJack's brand new dialer.

See »www.magicjacksupport.com ··· 747.html to check it out.