cookeys
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

When's a new iPad coming out?

Hi,

I was thinking of picking up a iPad for my wife. But upon doing research, I've seen several places where they're saying that a newer model might be coming out at the end of October or in November. If that's the case, I don't want to buy now. I'd prefer to wait. I've even seen it suggested that the new iPad will come out when iOS4 is ready for iPad.

Any ideas if there's any truth to this?

Thanks
thekAk
join:2010-01-08
USA

thekAk

The general consensus is sometime next year.. see »[iPad] iPad2?

Any links to where you heard October/November? I'd love to see the next gen iPad come out before 2011 but doubt it will happen. As others have said, Apple seems to like anniversaries.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
More likely they'll release iOS 4 for iPad sometime in the Fall.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

2 recommendations

JohnInSJ to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
For about a decade now Apple has a one year product release cycle.

So, I would bet you two cows and a goat that it will be at the 1 year anniversary of the iPad.

Then again, I don't have two cows and a goat. Still, I bet it anyway.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
Definitely next year. The new os isn't even available for the current ipad.

You probably heard about the Samsung Galaxy tablet coming out Oct/Nov.

Might want to consider that, it looks superior to the ipad.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Lets save that debate for after the new product has been released!

OP -- there are rumors of a mini-iPad being released possibly in September. I believe there is some type of iPod conference then. It is speculated to be 7" which would be the same size as what the Samsung is supposed to be. I personally don't see a point for a device of that size range, but I'm sure some will like it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Lets save that debate for after the new product has been released!

OP -- there are rumors of a mini-iPad being released possibly in September. I believe there is some type of iPod conference then. It is speculated to be 7" which would be the same size as what the Samsung is supposed to be. I personally don't see a point for a device of that size range, but I'm sure some will like it.
Is it just me or is a mini-iPad already called a Touch?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to cookeys

MVM

to cookeys
You know, it just wouldn't surprise me.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

Hmm. Mini iPad would almost definitely be cheaper. I like the size of the current iPad, but it's an expensive gadget at 499 for 16 gig. I wonder if it would have different (better) specs than the current iPad.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by cookeys:

but it's an expensive gadget at 499
Yeah -- you could get her a pretty nice vacuum for that kind of money!

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

Actually, I'd prefer a larger one. My up close vision isn't getting any better. I'm tired of squinting at small screens. The only way I'd want a smaller one would be if the processor or RAM was better, or if the screen resolution was better.

And she already got a Dyson vacuum last year.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to cookeys

to cookeys
So not till next year? Now I have to decide if I want to buy one now, or wait for the new one. Bought the girlfriend one already, but maybe I should wait for the new one to rub it in. What does everything think?

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

said by rustydusty:

So not till next year? Now I have to decide if I want to buy one now, or wait for the new one. Bought the girlfriend one already, but maybe I should wait for the new one to rub it in. What does everything think?
It looks like there might be a mini iPad coming out sooner than next year. My searching has said anywhere from September to sometime around Christmas. I want the larger one, unless the mini has a better processor or more RAM. From what I have read, the mini would have the same resolution (1024x768) as the current one.
It is tough to decide what to do. I didn't wait when I got my POS second gen iPod and they came out with a way better one right after it was too late to return it.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Personally I don't understand the reason to wait if you like what it is now. I have a 16 gig 3G and I love it. iOS 4 should take care of the things I feel are missing. I would not expect any real hardware changes in the second version. Maybe a camera or 4G, but not much else. I really don't see a good use for a camera on the iPad myself so that wouldn't be of interest me if they added one.

I don't think we will be seeing a larger one anytime soon.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

1 edit

cookeys

MVM

said by robbin:

Personally I don't understand the reason to wait if you like what it is now. I have a 16 gig 3G and I love it. iOS 4 should take care of the things I feel are missing. I would not expect any real hardware changes in the second version. Maybe a camera or 4G, but not much else. I really don't see a good use for a camera on the iPad myself so that wouldn't be of interest me if they added one.

Some of the rumors are a faster processor and 512 of RAM. But everything is just rumors.

And I do like what it is now. Lots.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

I'm just curious if the new IPad will support flash or not. I was browsing for new movies coming out, and wanted to see previews and couldn't. For the most part, it does everything I want now. Just a few minor things that become a huge pain now and again.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

It will not support flash.

Adobe has given up working with Apple.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to rustydusty

Mod

to rustydusty
I installed frash easily a few days ago on my JB iPad and it seems to work well enough. A new iPad is not needed for flash, just for Apple to allow it and they don't want to.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Alcohol

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

It will not support flash.

Adobe has given up working with Apple.
Is there any work around to make it work? Not being able to play flash is a huge pain sometimes.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

Sure, but i don't vouch for it.

»frash (flash) on Cydia now

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by Alcohol:

How well does this work? Also, can it affect anything else? Doesn't look like much feedback on it yet...

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
Whenever marketing figures it's time to make existing users fork out again for the latest and greatest, then it will come out....

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to rustydusty

Mod

to rustydusty
As I stated in my earlier post it seems to fine. You can also install frash toggle which is for SBSettings.

I am not planning on using it a lot but sometimes you just need the option and it does work!

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Given that I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Cell Phone and I am BLOWN away at how nice this device is... I would go for a Samsung Galaxy Tablet in a heart beat.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

As I stated in my earlier post it seems to fine. You can also install frash toggle which is for SBSettings.

I am not planning on using it a lot but sometimes you just need the option and it does work!
Maybe I'll do it as well then. Might wait a big longer to make sure no problems pop up. Don't want to wreck the thing. Especially when it isn't technically mine anymore, even though I bought it! Haha

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to rustydusty

Premium Member

to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

said by Alcohol:

How well does this work? Also, can it affect anything else? Doesn't look like much feedback on it yet...
I haven't tried it, so i don't know how well it works, but i've seen youtube videos of it. It looks OK.

Samsung galaxy will have flash working stock, so it might be a better option for you if you require flash. android os 2.2 runs flash flawlessly.
Alcohol

Alcohol to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

said by Alcohol:

Given that I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Cell Phone and I am BLOWN away at how nice this device is... I would go for a Samsung Galaxy Tablet in a heart beat.
Yeah, i'm looking forward to the super amoled display. I have a feeling it will look amazing on a 7" device. Ofcourse we'll know more details next month, but i have a strong feeling i'm going to regret buying an ipad.

Mchart
First There.
join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI

1 edit

Mchart to cookeys

to cookeys
Only issue I forsee with the current iPad is not having 512mb of RAM. The iPhone 4 has this, and i'm not sure why the iPad doesn't. Even more important on the iPad when you consider it has the larger resolution to push. Granted, it does have the fully clocked 1Ghz A4 instead of the underclocked 800mhz A4 - But having half the memory of the iPhone 4 seems like a serious issue as more and more apps come out that can really make use of the hardware.

Just my personal opinion. It seems like one is buying allready outdated technology when buying the iPad. (Of course, it should be noted that as of right now the iPad doesn't have any issues running demanding apps) It doesn't seem far-fetched that a revised model might come out before 'next cycle' that will sneak in 512mb of ram.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys to Alcohol

MVM

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

said by Devanchya:

said by Alcohol:

Yeah, i'm looking forward to the super amoled display. I have a feeling it will look amazing on a 7" device. Ofcourse we'll know more details next month, but i have a strong feeling i'm going to regret buying an ipad.
When is it coming out? If I buy an iPad tomorrow, I get 45 days from BB to decide if I want to keep it. If something better comes along in that 45 days, I can return it and get the something better. 45 days is sometime in October.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

1 edit

Alcohol

Premium Member

Official date isn't out. But i wouldn't let it stop you from buying the ipad.

What i want might not be the same for you, ie flash, camera, expandable storage (not sure if galaxy has that).