uniqs

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT to cookeys

to cookeys

Re: When's a new iPad coming out?

I'm in the same boat with those that want to wait for an Android based tablet to come out. I was debating getting an iPhone, but I am so happy that I got my HTC Legend instead.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

Daemon to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Official date isn't out. But i wouldn't let it stop you from buying the ipad.

What i want might not be the same for you, ie flash, camera, expandable storage (not sure if galaxy has that).
I can't wait until large tablets have cameras, so I can laugh as people hold up and point the 10inch device at things.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

I have a tablet PC for notetaking in OneNote, and it has a webcam on board. I probably could use it in that sense, but yeah, I'd feel pretty silly trying to wield a 12.1" device like a point-and-shoot.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Thaler:

I'd feel pretty silly trying to wield a 12.1" device like a point-and-shoot.
I felt the same way about the HTC EVO as a phone. Might as well hold a netbook to your head.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to rustydusty

Premium Member

to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

So not till next year? Now I have to decide if I want to buy one now, or wait for the new one. Bought the girlfriend one already, but maybe I should wait for the new one to rub it in. What does everything think?
Wait and get the new one, and she will take that and give you her old one.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

I felt the same way about the HTC EVO as a phone. Might as well hold a netbook to your head.
I would think that if an EVO was too big to use for casual phone use, then an iPhone would be similarly awkward. The only choice left then is a regular non-smartphone cell phone.

Personally, I don't mind sacrificing a bit of pocket space to enjoy the conveniences a smartphone offers.

Mchart
First There.
join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI

2 edits

Mchart

said by Thaler:

said by JohnInSJ:

I would think that if an EVO was too big to use for casual phone use, then an iPhone would be similarly awkward. The only choice left then is a regular non-smartphone cell phone.

Personally, I don't mind sacrificing a bit of pocket space to enjoy the conveniences a smartphone offers.
It doesn't seem that much larger, but when you actually use both the EVO is substantially larger. It does make it awkard to hold next to your head like a normal cellphone. The Iphone 4 in comparison is pretty small.

As for me, I didn't get an Android device this time around simply because the gaming market for the iPhone is substantially larger. The new higher resolution display on the iPhone 4 is pretty impressive as well, and to be frank - I've yet to be impressed by the build quality of Android phones. Just to much plastic. Granted, the EVO is probably more durable then the iPhone 4 is - But it definatly doesn't feel as good, or look as good.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

2 edits

Alcohol

Premium Member

You should have waited for the windows 7 phones. Apparently they support xbox arcade games. It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft does with that.

From the demos i've seen it's pretty cool. You can pause your game on your xbox and resume it from your cell phone, vice versa.

If gaming is that important, windows phone is definitely the way to go it seems.

Also - Windows plans to release their own tablets. So does Blackberry and HP (probably with webOS).. I think it would be a wise decision for the OP to wait till all the options are out in the market (or we know about them) before going with the ipad.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT to Mchart

to Mchart
quote:
I've yet to be impressed by the build quality of Android phones. Just to much plastic.
Actually, the HTC Legend is made from a unibody aluminum shell. This thing feels quite solid in my hand.

Mchart
First There.
Kaneohe, HI

Mchart to Alcohol

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

You should have waited for the windows 7 phones. Apparently they support xbox arcade games. It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft does with that.

From the demos i've seen it's pretty cool. You can pause your game on your xbox and resume it from your cell phone, vice versa.

If gaming is that important, windows phone is definitely the way to go it seems.

Also - Windows plans to release their own tablets. So does Blackberry and HP (probably with webOS).. I think it would be a wise decision for the OP to wait till all the options are out in the market (or we know about them) before going with the ipad.
I have no idea how it will work. I also have no idea if the phone is actually any good or not. It also may have fail battery life.

Remember - The iPhone 4's battery -is- really good. I doubt that a Windows 7 Phone will be very good. I just don't see it. I also don't even own an xbox, and while I play PC games - The iOS platform has some incredible games. Be it classic adventure titles like Broken Sword, or new games like GTA: Chinatown. iOS has some great games. Also understand that the Windows 7 phone can't just take allready developed PC/360 titles. It's still going to require development just for the phone itself. So it's going to take a while for the gaming library to reach the same level as iOS. So in 2 years time i'll make that decision when it comes.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

Well microsoft said that 90% of the code will be the same for PC/xbox/phone. So you can see similar games on all 3 platforms.

Microsoft has an unbelievable edge in the PC and xbox market, so if they figure out a way (and they say they have) to combine PC/xbox gaming with their phone, it will be spectacular.

I'm not so concerned about the battery, because unlike Apple, other manufactures will leave the ability to change the battery an option available to the consumer.

Why do you say windows 7 can't take already developed pc/360 titles?

Mchart
First There.
Kaneohe, HI

1 edit

Mchart

Because the device isn't a gaming rig running Windows 7, nor is it even on the same level as a 360.

Yes, you can essentially easily port over the code - But quite a bit of work will still have to be done to optimize the code specifically for the constraints of the hardware on the phone.

As for battery - I'd rather have a device that simply lasts all day with decent usage instead of being forced to carry around a spare battery. That is just stupid. While I agree it sucks that you can't easily change out the battery in the iPhone - It's well known that the iPhone has outstanding battery life. The iPhone 4 has nearly twice the battery life as the EVO when it comes to phone usage, and browsing/app usage. So pick your poison I guess. Do you want to haul around an extra battery with the ability to change it out easily, or do you want something that will last all day and night anyways but loose the ability to easily change it once it gets old.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

ofcourse a phone browsing on 4g will have a worse battery than a phone on 3g.

have you compared your battery edge vs 3g?

and honestly i'll rather have the ability to change batteries (and get an upgraded battery when needed) than being stuck with a stock battery that might not be the best for me.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Somehow it seems this thread is now really off topic.

Mchart
First There.
Kaneohe, HI

1 edit

Mchart to Alcohol

to Alcohol
The numbers reported were with both devices in 3G mode.

»www.anandtech.com/show/3 ··· eview/13

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

HTC has never been good on battery. But with a little tweaking you can definitely increase their battery life by a lot.

But if that's the only thing you look at- the battery. The iphone is the best choice for you, especially if you need the talk time.

Standby time - the samsung galaxy has a better battery life.

But i agree with robbin See Profile we're getting way off topic here. Back to ipad.

There's a Apple event being held in a few weeks. All the sites i've read have said nothing about a new ipad. it's mostly about the new ipod touch, apple tv and perhaps 99 cent tv show rentals.
Alcohol

1 edit

Alcohol

Premium Member

»www.engadget.com/2010/08 ··· n-korea/

Looks so tiny compared to the ipad. I wouldn't want something that little.
Also doesn't look as smooth as the ipad.

I could understand why it would lag with so much flash on the page, but it should not lag on google maps.

cookeys
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

Looks very nice.

Does the iPad still have overheating issues, or did they fix that since it hit the streets?

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

I use mine outside in the 90s - low 100s and have never had it overheat -- on a hammock under a tree

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

said by bbarrera:

I use mine outside in the 90s - low 100s and have never had it overheat -- on a hammock under a tree
I assume you keep it out of direct sun.

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

I keep myself out of the direct sun unless swimming in the pool.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

If I get one, I'll have to work with it outside for a while, and see if it's a problem. Does anyone know if they did anything to fix it since the iPad came out? I've done a bunch of searching, but all I find lately is new of the class action.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
Love my iPad

I still get physically mad though as my 30-days are up though and I get closer and closer to the 2-gig cap

To be forced not to use as much the last 2-3 days really just enrages me. It enrages me b/c the previous 26-27 days (or whatever days before the billing cycle is up) are NOT seeing me use Netflix, download large files, etc....I use it a good bit for email or news and an OCCASSIONAL youtube clip. Yet, there I am....every month nearing the 2 gig limit

SteveLV702
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702 to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
said by cookeys:

If I get one, I'll have to work with it outside for a while, and see if it's a problem. Does anyone know if they did anything to fix it since the iPad came out? I've done a bunch of searching, but all I find lately is new of the class action.
I use mine out in the Las Vegas 110+ heat all the time (yes direct sunlight) and no problems for me.
SteveLV702

SteveLV702 to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson
said by Bill Neilson:

Love my iPad

I still get physically mad though as my 30-days are up though and I get closer and closer to the 2-gig cap

To be forced not to use as much the last 2-3 days really just enrages me. It enrages me b/c the previous 26-27 days (or whatever days before the billing cycle is up) are NOT seeing me use Netflix, download large files, etc....I use it a good bit for email or news and an OCCASSIONAL youtube clip. Yet, there I am....every month nearing the 2 gig limit
man feel your pain I use Netflix alot sure glad I'm on the Unlimited Data plan.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to cookeys

MVM

to cookeys
Yeah, I doubt I'll buy even a gen2 iPad if they don't loosen-up and provide unlimited again. No deal.

Paul928
join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA

Paul928 to cookeys

to cookeys
Yea I heard that on Sept. 1, there will possibly be an announcement on a 7" iPad.....That would be awesome!! I've been holding off on buying the iPad because I wanted to see what Android tablets had to offer.....so far from the few Android tablets that I've seen, I haven't been impressed! But a 7" ipad would be exactly what I am looking for.....I love my iPod Touch, but the screen is really a little to small for my liking to do web browsing. Just wondering what the price of the new 7" iPad would be.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

said by Paul928:

Yea I heard that on Sept. 1, there will possibly be an announcement on a 7" iPad.....That would be awesome!! I've been holding off on buying the iPad because I wanted to see what Android tablets had to offer.....so far from the few Android tablets that I've seen, I haven't been impressed! But a 7" ipad would be exactly what I am looking for.....I love my iPod Touch, but the screen is really a little to small for my liking to do web browsing. Just wondering what the price of the new 7" iPad would be.
Yea. I've got a touch too. It's really nice, but small. Tired of squinting at screens. My vision isn't getting any better.

Paul928
join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA

Paul928

said by cookeys:

said by Paul928:

Yea. I've got a touch too. It's really nice, but small. Tired of squinting at screens. My vision isn't getting any better.
Same here...I think a 7" would be the perfect size ...small and light enough to carry in a backpack, yet big enough to watch a movie, play a game, and do some web browsing, without squinting, and straining your eyes.......I've also heard rumors that the price point should start at around $299.00 Not to bad at all if this is true.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

said by Paul928:

said by cookeys:

said by Paul928:

Same here...I think a 7" would be the perfect size ...small and light enough to carry in a backpack, yet big enough to watch a movie, play a game, and do some web browsing, without squinting, and straining your eyes.......I've also heard rumors that the price point should start at around $299.00 Not to bad at all if this is true.
Especially if it's got a more powerful processor, more memory, or a better screen.