how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

panterateama

join:2007-11-30
canada

OMG SLoooooOOOOOW

Hey Guys, I love TSI but this is getting painful... My speeds have been maxing out at 180kb/s on any site and with any software. I called and I was told that the DSLAM we are on is too far away and that there is one closer but it is overloaded right now. They have me on a 1.8M profile and can not bump me up cuz Bell says no... This is getting brutal... Tonight, It has dropped to ext to nothing... has been working at 180Kb/s for months and now today it dropped to 45-50kb/s on any page... whats the deal?

here is a link to my speedtest tonight... it aint pretty...

--
Creativity from the Shadows

baroidi

join:2008-08-31
yep been having this problem for the last few weeks, seems a lot more people are starting to experience this!!!!!!!!!

Anzio

join:2008-11-22
Innisfil, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to panterateama
Ouch. Hope something is figured out. Have you approached TekSavvy about this?

Shouldn't a 1.8Mbps profile get 1.5Mbps down?

Edit I'm an idiot Sorry, I just re-read your post. I didn't realize you were getting 1.5Mbps during most periods. Hope it works out! Best of luck

panterateama

canada
reply to panterateama
Ok I feel like an idiot...

I reset the modem and router and reflashed my router and all is back to 1.5

Sadly, I'm still paying for a 5M line and not getting halft of that... my dad is ont he other side of town and gets 500kb/s+ all the time... Why am I paying the same and getting less and why am I connected to the same DSLAM? (I called and they said that I was connected to the one downtown near him instead of the one near me as it was overloaded with college students in my area... ARG!

Why hasn't Bell put in a new one to feed all these people?

Thanks for listening guys and hope that TSI support takes a look into this for me...
--

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
If I had to guess I'd say the modem is on something like a 1728/640 profile.

It's possible that the DSLAM is overloaded with college students but unlikely. If you get better speeds at other (off-peak) times that could be the case, but it's probable that you're stuck at those speeds all of the time.

As far as "paying for 5 Mbps" and getting less...that is the "up to" nature of DSL.

Try posting in the direct forum to get it looked at maybe it can be improved. Edit: oh you already talked to them so you're probably SOL for now.

Mimiga King

join:2008-09-15
Quebec, QC
reply to panterateama
said by panterateama:

Sadly, I'm still paying for a 5M line and not getting halft of that... my dad is ont he other side of town and gets 500kb/s+ all the time... Why am I paying the same and getting less and why am I connected to the same DSLAM?
That is the horror and truth of the "up to"

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
reply to panterateama
said by panterateama:

Ok I feel like an idiot...

I reset the modem and router and reflashed my router and all is back to 1.5

Sadly, I'm still paying for a 5M line and not getting halft of that... my dad is ont he other side of town and gets 500kb/s+ all the time... Why am I paying the same and getting less and why am I connected to the same DSLAM? (I called and they said that I was connected to the one downtown near him instead of the one near me as it was overloaded with college students in my area... ARG!

Thanks for listening guys and hope that TSI support takes a look into this for me...
you do know, that even if u were with bell and u were only getting 1.5mb u would still be paying full price right?

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to panterateama
Can you post some modem stats with dmt tool?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to panterateama
said by panterateama:

Because then Bell would have to spend money. Bell doesn't like spending money. Saying "up to" is much easier and cheaper than actually expanding their network infrastructure.

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN
reply to panterateama
what type of DSL modem do you have? If you have a speedtouch 516 can you post your stats using DMT program.

panterateama

canada
reply to panterateama
Thanks for all the post guys... I cant remember how to run/get the dmt tool... I havent run it since we first got TSI... anyone got a link and a how to? what info should I post?

Thanks again!

PS ya I'm paying for 5M and getting 1.5 and yes, I know I'm still getting it much cheaper and I love TSI service but I'm really dissapointed when I compare my speed with my dad's connection... (we have always been competitive when it comes to tech... lol)
--

daboom
Premium
join:2001-12-16
Oshawa, ON
Corrected that for you. even if you were on Bell directly and it was the same situation as they say you'd be still stuck on the 1.5 profile and paying more so. As for upgrades I've been seeing bell go nut's around here adding boxes and/or upgrading their current ones with bigger boxes. It's crazy.

said by panterateama:

Thanks for all the post guys... I cant remember how to run/get the dmt tool... I havent run it since we first got TSI... anyone got a link and a how to? what info should I post?

Thanks again!

PS ya I'm paying for UP TO.. 5M and getting 1.5 and yes, I know I'm still getting it much cheaper and I love TSI service but I'm really dissapointed when I compare my speed with my dad's connection... (we have always been competitive when it comes to tech... lol)

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to baroidi
said by baroidi:

yep been having this problem for the last few weeks, seems a lot more people are starting to experience this!!!!!!!!!
As I've heard recently, Bell now has a department specifically for ensuring wholesale customers go on legacy equipment. It's likely that Bell has now reserved the remote for their own customers to gain additional revenue that they would get with wholesale customers i.e. TekSavvy.

dmitry_tek

join:2010-01-14
reply to panterateama
Try cable. However, activation is not cheap.

kovy7

reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

said by panterateama:

Because then Bell would have to spend money. Bell doesn't like spending money. Saying "up to" is much easier and cheaper than actually expanding their network infrastructure.
Actually Bell is spending money (Quebec geting FTTH)... they're just way behind everyone else.

replacement

@mc.videotron.ca
said by kovy7:

Actually Bell is spending money (Quebec geting FTTH)... they're just way behind everyone else.
Spending money?

You mean Bell after many, many, years is finally forced to make a choice. Repair and replace the decrepit 40-50 year old falling apart copper that doesn't work half the time, or replace it with fiber.

Either way, this isn't a technological marvel going on that they decided the people want. It's a choice between 40-yr old copper maintenance to keep it functional, or replacement.

Either way, money had to be spent and at the same time be able to try and make a buck against videotron.

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada

1 edit
reply to mlerner
How do you know that, mlerner? If this is true then it would be nice if Teksavvy told us. I have a friend whose profile was lowered and this could be the reason why.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to replacement
said by replacement :

You mean Bell after many, many, years is finally forced to make a choice. Repair and replace the decrepit 40-50 year old falling apart copper that doesn't work half the time, or replace it with fiber.
I do not know about Quebec but in Montreal, most of the phone cables I see when I go on bike trips and look at them seems nearly fresh - probably in large part courtesy of the 1998 icestorm tearing down large chunks of whatever was in place before then.

Natural disasters are great for upgrading/refreshing infrastructure since you can split the bill between insurances and disaster-recovery tax breaks.

kovy7

1 edit
reply to replacement
said by replacement :

said by kovy7:

Spending money?

Either way, this isn't a technological marvel going on that they decided the people want. It's a choice between 40-yr old copper maintenance to keep it functional, or replacement.

Either way, money had to be spent and at the same time be able to try and make a buck against videotron.
I don't care what Bell is using... in fact I'm on that 50 year old copper you mention and get 25mbps down and 7mbps up...

Videotron is on copper, are they not? Also, Videotron is still stuck with 1Mbps upload...

Like I said, Bell is very late to the game on Fiber.

kovy7

2 edits
reply to Rastan
said by Rastan:

How do you know that, mlerner? If this is true then it would be nice if Teksavvy told us. I have a friend whose profile was lowered and this could be the reason why.
Teksavvy doesn't really know, they may have seen a trend... or they can't do much about it... but you should make a post in the direct forum and see what they can do.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

As I've heard recently, Bell now has a department specifically for ensuring wholesale customers go on legacy equipment.

It's likely that Bell has now reserved the remote for their own customers, to gain additional revenue that they would (not) get with wholesale customers. - i.e. TekSavvy
-
I only read your post today.

Did you forget to include the the word 'not', which I inserted in my above quote of you, or is there another meaning which I am missing ?

BTW, I wonder what would be the official (though obviously only internal) name of that department ?

'Wholesale Extermination' dept. ?

Possibly someone has a better name....

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
said by Davesnothere:

BTW, I wonder what would be the official (though obviously only internal) name of that department ?

How about the "Drive all wholesale business to cable" department.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
said by pnjunction:

said by Davesnothere:

How about the "Drive all wholesale business to cable" department.
-
WE could call it that, but would Bell ?

Then again, I suppose they might, if they stereotype 'high traffic' users as being mostly among those of the wholesalers.

It would be kinda like a Trojan Horse from Bell to Rogers, hehehe....