spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

template

join:2007-03-09
@shaw.ca

remote desktop assistance

my feelings are mixed on it.......i think they take too much liberty with novices, and do not necessarily do what is best for one's system.

AnonShawUser

join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB

You can tell them to stop at any time, and they should at the very least be asking if you want to continue if they make any changes.

If they're doing a virus cleaning, trust that they know at least what they're doing with that. If they're doing some sort of above and beyond job, such as recovering email/settings, or fixing your browser or some other thing, you can pull the plug at any time if they seem to be going beyond what is requested.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to template

The very first thing we do before connecting remotely is ask if it's okay. Plus this makes it much easier for a novice user since they may have a hard time troubleshooting themselves. In my opinion Remote desktop is a lifesaver (used to be a TSR).

template

@shaw.ca
reply to AnonShawUser

i was never asked if i wanted shaw secure to be installed.....i was told it will be installed because it is the best out there, free, etc etc..
it had nothing to do with a virus, except that something was in my start up loading (so he assumed) yet couldn't find it....so he decided to install shaw secure.......when all was said and done i asked him what it was that was loading itself?... he said, i don't know!.....i was left with a system that was crawling which was never like it when i called in.

i'm a novice and troubleshooted stuff before with direction... i also heard very well what he said when i was prompted to the help desk.
i can see the benefits of the remote desktop help as in less time consuming..
when it comes to a virus i would never second guess them in knowing what they are doing...
i was curious and now i know...i don't think they all adhere to the rules, and most times when a newbie gives them permission they take it as an open field.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to template

Should have never let them install Shaw Secure...

Shawesome2

join:2010-05-13
Winnipeg, MB
reply to template

It's your computer. You allowed him to remotely connect to it, and it's your choice if you want that software installed. You also have the option to close the remote session at any time.

Seeing how they don't make any money off Shaw Secure, I really doubt they were so insistant that you install it... was more likely that you had no security, and it was offered...

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to template

said by template:

i was never asked if i wanted shaw secure to be installed.....i was told it will be installed because it is the best out there, free, etc etc..
it had nothing to do with a virus, except that something was in my start up loading (so he assumed) yet couldn't find it....so he decided to install shaw secure.......when all was said and done i asked him what it was that was loading itself?... he said, i don't know!.....i was left with a system that was crawling which was never like it when i called in.

i'm a novice and troubleshooted stuff before with direction... i also heard very well what he said when i was prompted to the help desk.
i can see the benefits of the remote desktop help as in less time consuming..
when it comes to a virus i would never second guess them in knowing what they are doing...
i was curious and now i know...i don't think they all adhere to the rules, and most times when a newbie gives them permission they take it as an open field.
If you call in with a virus and are not running Shaw Secure, it's not our responsibility to remove or assist with removal unless we install our virus tools. We're here to troubleshoot any issues regarding your connection, so a rep not knowing about your startup issues and possible virus problem isn't out of the question.

template

@shaw.ca

fwiw

the nature of my call had nothing to do with any virus, as there was no virus on my system.....it had to do with the crappy speed issues that they charge for but don't deliver.....the famous speed test.

when he couldn't answer my questions as to why not deliver what you preach and charge for, he decided it must be something downloading on my machine......yet checking and rechecking and when asked what it was, he had no answer.....his simple way out of the problem was shaw secure, which brought my machine to a crawl......there was also nothing that was enabled in startup..

i have never had to call in and ask the tech to clean up my machine yet and don't expect them to either.......always about shabby speeds, and or shaw being down....

AnonShawUser

join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB

1 edit

Well that sounds like you just don't like your connection.

So, you have the following choices: Go to another provider who likely has much less speed for only a small amount less than you pay now, or jump through the hoops, let them do their tests, have them send out a tech (if you're having constant speed issues, I would suggest you specify a PC tech, so they can bring out their own laptop and run speedtests to verify if it's your hardware or the connection itself).

If you like the service otherwise, how about you tell us just what you're seeing for speeds? Some people expect 100% of the advertised "up to" speeds. And absolutely fail to grasp that they ARE only advertised as "up to" speeds. Factors such as saturation (which is actively monitored and resolution plans are drafted one it is noticed), signal strength (which can be caused by faulty splitters, internal wiring, bad connection at the drop, or any problems with the plant on your node, which requires tech verification to get maintenance engaged), or even a problem with your modem, router, network cable, power outlet (bad power sourcing can cause the modem to be unstable and cause problems), or even a bad NIC can cause degraded network performance. Not all of those problems are up to Shaw to resolve, of course.