All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Reid1
@reidster.net

Reid1

Anon

Set up Comcast service without giving SSN?

Hi,

I was creating an order for service with Comcast and got to the "here chat with someone" stage, where the rep requested my social security number, wouldn't proceed without it, and said there were no other options for setting things up.

Since the SSN is pretty much the master key for identity theft, no, I don't want to give it to Comcast.

Is it possible to get Comcast internet without giving out my SSN? And if so, what are the secret procedures or magic words?

Much appreciated,

Reid

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Keep calling back until you get Comcast CSI that has a clue.

Comcast Admits Error In Requiring SSN Under "Patriot Act"
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

1 recommendation

rody_44 to Reid1

Premium Member

to Reid1
you can just go to the office and pay a security deposit. Its a security deposit or social security number. You get to pick. but if its the deposit route you need to go in and pay first. All cable companies, dish companies you name it pretty well operate like this. If they didnt why would you even use your real name. they cant require it but they most certainly will require a deposit and maybe even first month if you dont agree to provide it.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile to Reid1

Premium Member

to Reid1
I believe the policy is, they need a SSN to run a credit and identity check. If you refuse (which you have a right to), you just have to pay a deposit. That amount is based on the level of service you are getting.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Reid1

Premium Member

to Reid1
Some companies are really strict. Service electric cable if you dont provide your social you pay first month, security and lose the free install. plus they charge based on how many boxes you order Pretty well everyone just gives the social. Cost like 500 not to.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to Reid1

Premium Member

to Reid1
If you elect to go the Security Deposit route, make damn sure you get a dated receipt, and keep it someplace safe. Comcast has a tendency to "forget" stuff like what modems belong to them and what modems belong to customers, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they "forgot" you gave them a security deposit years down the road.

Reid1
@reidster.net

Reid1 to rody_44

Anon

to rody_44
Thanks for the info!

So if I'm doing it over the phone/internet, the SSN is required? Or can I pay the deposit with a credit card?

We're not yet in the area where I want to turn on service (move in progress), but I could go to a local office. Would they be willing to set up service in a different city?

I'd like to get things rolling now so the amount of time after we arrive with no service is minimal.
WH4K
join:2010-08-12
Albuquerque, NM

WH4K to Reid1

to Reid1
Interesting. When I tried to get some tech support with Comcast's online chat a couple of weeks ago, I had a similar problem. The agent wanted the last 4 digits of the SSN of the "primary account holder," and wouldn't go past that, so I ended the session.

I am not the primary account holder, e.g. the person who initially called to set it up, but the service is in my house and I am authorized to make changes to the account. I don't know the other person's SSN and wouldn't give it - or parts of it - to strangers in any case.

Because of that and another instance, I have pretty much given up on Comcast's online tech support.

I haven't been asked for even a partial SSN - and certainly not someone else's - when getting phone tech support from Comcast. I suppose it's down to the cluelessness of the individual agent you're dealing with.
reidpr
join:2010-08-25
Cambridge, MA

reidpr to Reid1

to Reid1
(OP here - I just registered.)

Wow, thanks everyone! You all are super helpful. Very much appreciated.

denb45
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit

denb45 to Reid1

Premium Member

to Reid1
Interesting, last Spring 2009 when I canceled Comcast--Digital-TV
and got Direct-TV they NEVER even ask me for ID or a SSN to order or install my service, however The DTV-installer did ask to see
a Gas & Electric Bill with my name on it to verify that I did live at the address he was installing the service.....

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

I know it is easy to drift off topic. Just a gentle reminder, this is the Comcast HSI Forum. There is a different forum for discussion of Comcast TV. Sometimes an idle aside leads to a totally different discussion which really belongs elsewhere.

FordTech1
Premium Member
join:2005-06-22
Katy, TX

FordTech1 to Reid1

Premium Member

to Reid1
EVERY time I have used the chat service they ask for last 4 digits of SS number,account number and name.
I always tell them look it up by my phone number and give them my name and that works.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

That works for me also. To the OP, You sound like a fine outstanding citizen. Just go to the office to set it up. Im betting you could get setup with just id. Its not written in stone that you have to pay a security deposit. It really comes down to Other things out of your control. They mainly just want to know you are who you say you are. Something they cant do over the phone or internet.
rody_44

rody_44 to denb45

Premium Member

to denb45
I dont know what they did in 2009 but direct tv sure does require a social security number or deposit now. How far you have to go as a new customer really depends on if the company providing the service ever lost money at the new address.