»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· ng_gnews

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

First one to cut through the PR crap and get to the meat of it. Nice post.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to patspub

Premium Member

to patspub
So SDV = more HD Channels for Philly?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to patspub

Premium Member

to patspub
Pats-
Good read. Time Warner was using SDV up near Lake Ontario where i vacationed a couple weeks ago. I was blown away by the HD lineup - it beat FIOS.
sepaperson
join:2010-02-27
Downingtown, PA

sepaperson to patspub

to patspub
More room for On Demand content, the love of their lives.
ak3883
join:2005-08-20
Marlton, NJ

ak3883

TW uses SDV a LOT more, I have family in upstate NY and they have SDV(SA/Cisco equipment though), and the PQ sucks compared to Comcast, pixelation is much more visable on HD channels(you can even see it on the bottom line on ESPNHD).

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870

said by ak3883:

TW uses SDV a LOT more, I have family in upstate NY and they have SDV(SA/Cisco equipment though), and the PQ sucks compared to Comcast, pixelation is much more visable on HD channels(you can even see it on the bottom line on ESPNHD).
yeah TWC has SDV deployed in motorola markets already with Iguide A28 and in my system its 860MHz with 74 analog, 77 HD, 60 of which are SDV, docsis 3.0 and they use motorola line-gear as well.

we have more SDV channels announced to bring us over the 100 HD mark

got some goodies already

1) FSC HD
2) FSC + HD
3) FSC + SD
4) HALLMARK HD
5) TCM HD
6) CARTOON NETWORK HD
7) HLN HD
8) HBO 2 HD
9) HBO SIGNATURE HD
10) GAME HD
11) MTV HD
12) COMEDY CENTRAL HD
13) SPIKE HD
14) AMC HD
15) BET HD
16) MSNBC HD
17) PALLADIA
18) MLB NETWORK HD
19) ENOCRE HD
20) TMC HD
21) STARZ KIDS AND FAMILY HD

there is 16 SDV QAMs in use
we had 57 non SDV HD before the bigband SDV system went online in phases from june-july

in my area the pixelation is not very visible like you said.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to patspub

to patspub
Really could are less about more on demand space. and I refuse to use SDV. I find no need for it and if needed I'll file a suit to allow opting out.

Floppy
join:2002-07-03

Floppy to patspub

to patspub
said by patspub:

Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has picked its hometown of Philadelphia as one of the first markets in which the MSO will deploy switched digital video (SDV)
Actually two of the neighboring suburbs will get SDV 1st before the city does.
patspub
join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA

patspub

OK-Please don't leave it a "Comcast Secret" Tell Us!!!
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Where i dont know for a fact im sure it will be in two of the following. Listed in order of my guess. Lower Merion, Willow grove, Bucks county, Montgomery county. Usually i would guess Montgomery , Bucks. For technicall reasons im going to guess lower Merion, Willow grove.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Really could are less about more on demand space. and I refuse to use SDV. I find no need for it and if needed I'll file a suit to allow opting out.
"...refuse to use SDV." That's funny.

If SDV works correctly and it's implemented where you live you won't even know you are "using it".

Once it's activated by the cable company, you "use it" just by tuning to certain channels and watching them. You shouldn't even know or care if it's an SDV channel (if it's working as it should).
sepaperson
join:2010-02-27
Downingtown, PA

sepaperson to patspub

to patspub
Do the current Moto boxes handle SDV easily or will there be a change there too?
I ask because I was looking into Tivo and it specifically says if you have SDV you have to get an adapter from your cable company in order to use Tivo and SDV.
Of course the way things afterhere with snail-pace implemation after announcements, there will be some other new technology before we get it.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by sepaperson:

Do the current Moto boxes handle SDV easily or will there be a change there too?
I ask because I was looking into Tivo and it specifically says if you have SDV you have to get an adapter from your cable company in order to use Tivo and SDV.
Of course the way things afterhere with snail-pace implemation after announcements, there will be some other new technology before we get it.
The Moto boxes has 2 way modems are able to get SDV without using a adapter. Tivo only has a 1 way modem which requires a adapter to tell the headend which channel to send to the tivo.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

If you look in the diagnostic screens in Iguide A-28 the last couple of screens mention stats for SDV. Right now it's all turned off of course.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to The Q

to The Q
From what I understand what SDV is:

Some cable service providers are implementing Switched Digital Video (SDV) technology, which allows your cable service provider to manage the delivery of SDV channels to homes in your neighborhood. If your cable provider uses SDV, call them to obtain an SDV Tuning Adapter*. (Fees for the Switched Digital Video Tuning Adapter are determined by your Cable Service Provider.)
Availability of SDV channels is dependent on the SDV policies set by your cable service provider. If your cable service provider is unable to provide a requested SDV channel, your TV will display a message advising that the channel is not available. If you experience problems tuning SDV channels, please contact your cable service provider.
Once you tune to an SDV channel, your cable service provider can check-in with your TV to ask if you are still watching the tuned SDV channel. If you are not watching the SDV channel, your cable service provider may stop sending the programming to your TV in order to use the bandwidth more efficiently. All SDV channels have timing windows defined by your cable service provider. Whenever you tune to an SDV channel, the timer starts. If you are tuned to that SDV channel when the timer ends, you’ll see a message, from your cable service provider on your TV, asking whether you are still watching the SDV channel. If you respond that you are watching it, there will be no change. If you do not respond, or if you respond that you are not watching, your service provider may no longer provide the programming on that channel to your TV.

Their Adapter:

A Switched Digital Video Tuning Adapter allows retail devices using CableCARDs (like the card used in your DVR) to tune to channels that your cable service provider is sending using Switched Digital Video technology. The SDV Tuning Adapter is about the size of a current cable box and is connected to your DVR.
Contact your cable service provider to find out if they have implemented SDV technology. Be sure your CableCARD is installed before connecting the SDV Tuning Adapter.

Point is, I don't want an adapter that big, I don't want to pay a fee for the adapter, I don't want the annoying timing windows and messages.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

If you are using a Motorola or SA box you will not need the adapter. Only Tivo and Moxi owners will need the adapter. I could be wrong but I believe I am right.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I am using a Moxi, which is why I'm so upset.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

I have a Tivo so I am in the same boat. If it just on demand or all new channels go on SDV It will not bother me. I do not watch on demand except for Netflix. I have all the channels that I will watch in HD

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
does your area use motorola boxes? if so you will have the MTR700 it looks just like the DCT700 small cable box, also the tuning adapter is free.

here they have deployed SDV and it is not noticeable to the average person that a particular channel is SDV or not.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to patspub

to patspub
Me too caddyroger, I really couldn't care less about on demand, I just want more HD channels, because then I'll watch more tv, as if I don't already watch too much already lol.

We use Scientific Atlanta boxes and CableCARDs in my area.

I mean another issue I'm gonna have is outlets to plug the SDV in, since my UPS already is out of outlets, just running my Moxi, TV, wireless access point, eSATA DVR hard drive, and network switch for battery backup.
The Q
Collegeville, PA

3 edits

The Q to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

If you are using a Motorola or SA box you will not need the adapter. Only Tivo and Moxi owners will need the adapter. I could be wrong but I believe I am right.
You are right.

and SDV = more space for HD channels.

Edit: It does need a power supply.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I just want more HD channels, because then I'll watch more tv...
If you want more HD channels, SDV is the way to get them....

No SDV and you'll have a MUCH longer wait for any more HD channels.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65 to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
The ones for Motorola are quite small, about the size of a DCT700, though the SA ones are bigger, and can only support 2 SDV channels. The Motorola ones can do more than 2.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

From what I understand what SDV is:

Once you tune to an SDV channel, your cable service provider can check-in with your TV to ask if you are still watching the tuned SDV channel. If you are not watching the SDV channel, your cable service provider may stop sending the programming to your TV in order to use the bandwidth more efficiently. All SDV channels have timing windows defined by your cable service provider. Whenever you tune to an SDV channel, the timer starts. If you are tuned to that SDV channel when the timer ends, you’ll see a message, from your cable service provider on your TV, asking whether you are still watching the SDV channel. If you respond that you are watching it, there will be no change. If you do not respond, or if you respond that you are not watching, your service provider may no longer provide the programming on that channel to your TV.

How does that work with hotels and other places with mini headends that use digital cable?

at least sports bars will some one who can replay to that message fast.
The Q
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by caddyroger :

If you are using a Motorola or SA box you will not need the adapter. Only Tivo and Moxi owners will need the adapter.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to Joe12345678

MVM

to Joe12345678
If a hotel, hospital, university or school is pulling in digital channels, they are using regular digital receivers (SA or Motorola).

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to rv65

to rv65
Just how much bigger, rv65 (got pics?) and what do you mean it can support only 2 SDV channels? Currently my one Moxi has two tuners, which means I can record two tv shows at the same time and watch a third thats already recorded.

Would I run into an issue if I get a 3 tuner Moxi as well? I'm thinking I would probably end up being forced to be limited to 2.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

1 edit

mikedz4 to patspub

to patspub
go to the time warner forum and alot of people are upset with sdv. If they leave their tv on overnight it tells them channel not available and sometimes they have to unplug their box to get it to work correctly.
Maybe this will open up the opportunity for more advanced on-screen applications and maybe a better gui.

Oh as an aside if you don't have a digital box you won't even notice the change. Unfortunately for 90% of us we need a digital box for anything above basic cable. If they had done like time warner they could have kept analog cable and still had a bunch of hd as well.

I guess now though eventually they could have 200+ hd channels by this time next year, am i correct?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Just how much bigger, rv65 (got pics?)
Here's pics:
SA tuner:
»hd.engadget.com/photos/c ··· #1478093
Moto tuner:
»www.zatznotfunny.com/200 ··· e-flesh/
said by Mike Wolf:

and what do you mean it can support only 2 SDV channels? Currently my one Moxi has two tuners, which means I can record two tv shows at the same time and watch a third thats already recorded.
No problem with 2 tuners.
said by Mike Wolf:

Would I run into an issue if I get a 3 tuner Moxi as well? I'm thinking I would probably end up being forced to be limited to 2.
With the SA tuner, it's limited to 2, so the 3 tuner Moxi has problems with it.