All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tranceFusion
join:2010-04-18

tranceFusion

Porting from Comcast Digital Voice?

Can I do this, and if so, what are the proper steps to do so? I assume I port the number, wait until its complete, then cancel my comcast service?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by tranceFusion:

Can I do this, and if so, what are the proper steps to do so? I assume I port the number, wait until its complete, then cancel my comcast service?
Yes---the NEW provider handles the port.

Vonage is one choice---similar companies would include PhonePower and VOIPo. Shop around.
said by tranceFusion:

then cancel my comcast service?
But who provides your internet (broadband) service?! You cannot have ANY Voip without internet!!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:
said by tranceFusion:

then cancel my comcast service?
But who provides your internet (broadband) service?! You cannot have ANY Voip without internet!!
It is certainly possible to cancel Comcast Digital Voice without also canceling Comcast HSI.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

It is certainly possible to cancel Comcast Digital Voice without also canceling Comcast HSI.
Of course.

But I wanted to make absolutely sure that the poster understood that.

I have encountered people who mistakenly thought that Vonage could provide their internet service.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:
said by NetFixer:

Of course.

But I wanted to make absolutely sure that the poster understood that.

I have encountered people who mistakenly thought that Vonage could provide their internet service.
That impression was actually fostered by Vonage with the announcement several years ago of a partnership with Covad (which to my knowledge was never actually implemented).
WA 425
join:2006-08-19
Lynnwood, WA

WA 425 to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Vonage is one choice---similar companies would include PhonePower and VOIPo. Shop around.
They're similar to Vonage in that they're VoIP companies. Other than that, I don't see any similarity at all.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

They all have the same model:

a) Flat-rate plans, not PAYG.
b) Company supplies and controls the adapter, not BYOD.
c) Good quality.

But you are right, there are differences:

1) PhonePower and VOIPo have US based support (California and Texas respectively).

2) PhonePower and VOIPo don't charge an Intellectual Property Fee.

3) PhonePower and VOIPo don't have huge headquarters buildings with a gigantic lawn to cut, and a helipad.

4) PhonePower and VOIPo may cost a lot less.

----------------------------------------------------

Surely no one can object to a suggestion to shop around. That would mean that Vonage lacks confidence.
WA 425
join:2006-08-19
Lynnwood, WA

WA 425

The difference I was referring to is that Vonage works each and every time for all of their millions of customers.

I think reliability is the most important factor in choosing a phone company. How big their lawn is doesn't concern me at all.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

There is no doubt that they have a lot of happy customers, but nothing is 100 percent up 100 percent of the time. Nothing.

»www.my3cents.com/product ··· t=Vonage

»www.wehatevonage.com/pain.php

»www.customerservicescore ··· m/Vonage

»User reviews - Vonage

------------------------------------

As to the lawn, it is part of their massive overhead costs, which explains why the total price has been steadily creeping upwards.